GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
Thank you all for the insight. I am really looking to move up from MIB1 and gain CarPlay. The 9.2in screen would be amazing but trying to retain SiriusXM takes the hacked Euro units out of play for me. So finding the MIB2 NAR Discover Pro brain at a reasonable price $350 made sense to me. ANYTHING will be nicer than the 5.6” screen I have had since 2015. Biggest downside of that 2015 US spec IMO was the MIB1. Have been envious of all the 2016+ cars.
Just a PSA/friendly reminder on doing 3Q0035047# or 5NA035026#, you must upgrade your amp to the MIB2 amp (5Q0035456). So far, accounts of having the MIB1 fender amp work has so far been with the Discover media (8XX parts) and the ROW discover pro parts. No one has figured out yet how to make the MIB1 work with the NAR discover pro.

shookusa

Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Just a PSA/friendly reminder on doing 3Q0035047# or 5NA035026#, you must upgrade your amp to the MIB2 amp (5Q0035456). So far, accounts of having the MIB1 fender amp work has so far been with the Discover media (8XX parts) and the ROW discover pro parts. No one has figured out yet how to make the MIB1 work with the NAR discover pro.
Got it. Thank you!

brad wagon

Car(s)
2019 GSW 4Mo 6MT S+
What are the advantages / disadvantages of using the remote coding services of someone like Jack to remove CP and enable FeCs versus patching with custom FW (other than cost)?

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Functionally nothing. I believe you will have component protection faults showing in a scan, but you don't have to care about those.

As far as the FECs there will be no difference at all.

highlyanimated

Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
Is anyone able to point out the remote coders that can provide Activation Codes? I successfully retrofitted a MIB2 head unit, 6.5" screen, and Fender amp to my 2015 GTI 3 months ago but have not had any luck finding someone to activate Bluetooth and navigation. Much appreciated.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Is anyone able to point out the remote coders that can provide Activation Codes? I successfully retrofitted a MIB2 head unit, 6.5" screen, and Fender amp to my 2015 GTI 3 months ago but have not had any luck finding someone to activate Bluetooth and navigation. Much appreciated.

He's not active on the forums any longer, but if you go to @simaservis1108's profile, he lists his Telegraph and Whatsapp contact info. He's a remote coder who does that kind of stuff. Took care of the comment protection on my OEM digital dash retrofit.

highlyanimated

Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
He's not active on the forums any longer, but if you go to @simaservis1108's profile, he lists his Telegraph and Whatsapp contact info. He's a remote coder who does that kind of stuff. Took care of the comment protection on my OEM digital dash retrofit.
Unfortunately, Sinaservis1108 has not been able to make the time to do the coding for me. I imagine they have a more important things to attend to. I reached out on Whatsapp some time ago.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

zigrow

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it possible to accomplish a full MIB1 to MIB2 uograde with all functionality like Carplay and AndroidAuto, without the assistance of a remote coder like simasservis, by going through the DIY CP patch process posted elsewhere by ash9949?

If so, can someone provide the pros and cons of each process?

I recently ordered a vas5054a and it's on the way but I currently have a vagcom, D-Link dub e-100 and the following parts:

3Q0035876 Delphi unit
3G0919605H screen
5G0035222F USB and wiring

Attachments

• PXL_20230630_232003469.jpg
    PXL_20230630_232003469.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20230630_231724223 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230630_231724223 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20230630_231856074 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230630_231856074 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35

Lokgolo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI S
Been a long time lurker, got a 2015 Golf TDI S in 2016 after my 2012 TDI SE got totaled. I've been aware of the MIB2 upgrade since about 2017, but everything was too expensive to source then for my budget.

Fast-forward to now and I recently remembered about the retrofit, so I checked prices and man can I get stuff at a good price! So I have a couple questions and the list of items I believe I need.

First, I'm looking to go Discover Media with as many NAR parts as possible:
(Edit: I do not want to go hacked if it's avoidable)
(Edit2: I also need to source the VAS5054, but am open to renting if I can find a source)
  • Brain: (Discover Media) 3Q0 035 876A
  • Display: 5G0919606
  •  USB harness (with USB/Aux): 5G0035222E
  • Gateway module: 5Q0 975 30AC (Edit3: not needed for MIB upgrade, per Cuzoe)
  • Nav Cable: sourcing from EZT, no P/N (Edit4: not needed for early Mk.VII models, per Cuzoe)
  •  Removal Keys: PC5-93, qty. 2 pair
Also sourcing AID components:
  • AID: 5G1 920 891B
  • AID trim: 5G0 857 189 B AAH (need to wrap to match my brushed metal trim)
  •  MOST cable: Y-split or straight will depend on answer to one of my following questions
@Cuzoe I've noticed your posts all over the place (here, vortex, ross-tech) so I'm hoping you or another knowledgeable person can answer some questions:
  1. Since I don't have Fender audio, do I gain anything from upgrading the amp? (I understand it's not necessary, but want to know since I'm making QOL upgrades)
  2. I read inconsistently that I need to upgrade the gateway module. Is this correct?
  3.  Does the revision of the screen matter? Or for the MIB? (No suffix vs. A. vs. B, etc.? Hardware revision?)
  4. I assume I can reuse my existing trim for the screen since I'm going 8" matte?
  5.  What is the cost of having Jack or simaservis1108 perform the CP removal and coding? (I saw simaservis is inactive now, I'm open to other reputable leads if Jack is unavailable, too)
I appreciate any help that is offered, cheers!! 🥂

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Lokgolo
Since I don't have Fender audio, do I gain anything from upgrading the amp? (I understand it's not necessary, but want to know since I'm making QOL upgrades)

With no Fender your car doesn't have an external amp. Speakers are being driven by the MIB internal amp... so nothing to worry about on that front.

I read inconsistently that I need to upgrade the gateway module. Is this correct?

For MIB upgrade no gateway upgrade needed.

 Does the revision of the screen matter? Or for the MIB? (No suffix vs. A. vs. B, etc.? Hardware revision?)

The revision will determine which buttons it has. I don't off hand know which is which but eBay works to see. One of the letters has mute button, one letter has band instead of radio, etc. Any screen will work though

I assume I can reuse my existing trim for the screen since I'm going 8" matte?

If you're going 8" matte you need new trim. If you're going 6.5" matte you'll keep your existing trim. The 6.5" fits, just has smaller bezels.

 What is the cost of having Jack or simaservis1108 perform the CP removal and coding? (I saw simaservis is inactive now, I'm open to other reputable leads if Jack is unavailable, too)

I'm not sure honestly. It's been literal years since they took care of me. I believe simaservis can be reached on telegram but scheduling can be tough. I've used VAG Retrofit & Coding for a lot of work though, also available on telegram.

Just in case you don't know, the USB port doesn't come with harness. Most source that harness from Ali but can probably find one shipping from within the US on eBay, with a little markup, haha. EZT also sells the harness for about $50. If you go that route get the harness from them and source the USB port wherever you want (they charge something like $75 for it).

Also not sure what nav cable you're referring to. Your car, like mine, will already have GPS antenna and cable/plug at the MIB. Seems the early MK7s mostly came that way. Later on they started with different (less equipped) antennas.

Lokgolo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI S
Just in case you don't know, the USB port doesn't come with harness. Most source that harness from Ali but can probably find one shipping from within the US on eBay, with a little markup, haha. EZT also sells the harness for about $50. If you go that route get the harness from them and source the USB port wherever you want (they charge something like $75 for it).
I was thrown off by the harness and usb/aux being separate entities. I assume there's a reason I cant just swap my MDI connector with a usb/aux combo and retain the harness (different pinouts?)

Also not sure what nav cable you're referring to. Your car, like mine, will already have GPS antenna and cable/plug at the MIB. Seems the early MK7s mostly came that way. Later on they started with different (less equipped) antennas.
I wasn't aware of this. I figured since my Golf didn't already have Nav, there'd be no GPS antenna or harness connection to my sharkfin and would need to source one.

Another question comes to mind: since the 3G cell networks that CarNet used have been shutdown, does upgrading the MIB overcome this hardware limitation? Not that I plan on using it, but the option is nice.

Drewpul

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen TDI
@Drewpul You still need the harness.

Edit: Weird... I swear this was a post here a moment ago asking about just replacing the USB port :unsure:
Thanks Cuzoe.

I actually came across the answer before you replied so I deleted my post.

I did just take out the MDI port in my car. It main circular portion looks near identical. But in the USB port, there's an additional part that has 2 additional pins. So not a simple plug and play. Although I am curious what each of the pins actually does