GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
They don't - APR does not offer test-pipe/downpipe files any longer which used to be called "stage 2".
I'm sure glad they did when I got it last year.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
I think it targets too small of a niche of enthusiasts. From what I understand of emissions in the states, Cali is super strict and most others can get away with running modded down pipes etc... This turbo itself is not terrific because of that torque curve, in my humble opinion. So I think it goes down as a very niche option.
As of now I 100% agree. There are ways of getting an IS38 with DP to pass in many states, APR is just betting heavily on a forthcoming EPA crackdown on modified emissions components AND that states will be willing and able to enforce these regulations.

If in 2 years you can’t buy a downpipe or get a shop to install “track only” parts, the DTR may literally be the only turnkey option that won’t get you a ticket/repair order. But if APR’s forecasting is overblown, the DTR could go down in obscurity as MQB trivia.

As for the IS38 stock DP file, the performance was pretty lackluster (slight bump in hp over stage 2, like 340-50whp or something) so it was a relatively undesirable option. Anecdotally, I haven’t heard of anyone running that setup/tune due to the poor cost-performance. I feel like the DTR was APR’s attempt at improving that setup.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
As of now I 100% agree. There are ways of getting an IS38 with DP to pass in many states, APR is just betting heavily on a forthcoming EPA crackdown on modified emissions components AND that states will be willing and able to enforce these regulations.

If in 2 years you can’t buy a downpipe or get a shop to install “track only” parts, the DTR may literally be the only turnkey option that won’t get you a ticket/repair order. But if APR’s forecasting is overblown, the DTR could go down in obscurity as MQB trivia.

As for the IS38 stock DP file, the performance was pretty lackluster (slight bump in hp over stage 2, like 340-50whp or something) so it was a relatively undesirable option. Anecdotally, I haven’t heard of anyone running that setup/tune due to the poor cost-performance. I feel like the DTR was APR’s attempt at improving that setup.
I think we also have to look at where society is going as a whole, with the whole electric car thing. As battery technology advances and production ramps up - green agenda gets pushed forward, these vehicles will be the majority of transportation on the road. The hard core "gas" guys will remain, for as long as they can, and I think that crew will do whatever they can in their power to do whatever they want. You can still buy MK7 DPF delete kits from some companies and get certain tuners to tune them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, they missed their "tribe" in the long term. Also, how long do we think the MK7 is going to be around and active, another 4-5 years?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I think we also have to look at where society is going as a whole, with the whole electric car thing. As battery technology advances and production ramps up - green agenda gets pushed forward, these vehicles will be the majority of transportation on the road. The hard core "gas" guys will remain, for as long as they can, and I think that crew will do whatever they can in their power to do whatever they want. You can still buy MK7 DPF delete kits from some companies and get certain tuners to tune them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, they missed their "tribe" in the long term. Also, how long do we think the MK7 is going to be around and active, another 4-5 years?
The MK7/7.5 is as new as 2021. It's going to be around and popular a lot longer than 4-5 years IMO.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yup, EV is inevitable… and when you got a company even like Hyundai willing to push for performance Line of EVs you’ll see plenty “die hards” less apprehensive…

Hell I’m a bleeding heart VW clown… but if you asked me in a year would I want to daily an new model year car between an mk8 R and ionic 5N… I may start wiping that white and red paint off my face.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm sure glad they did when I got it last year.
It's really not a big deal (to me) - so they pushed dealing with the O2 sensor CEL to teh customer, that's it so you run a spacer, use a GESI cat on your DP, or deal with the CEL. The tune is unchanged.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you're talking about me, thats not what I'm trying to do.

I'm just stating my perspective.
...on a turbo you don't own and never have any intention of ever buying.

We get it, you don't like it.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The dude didn't even flinch!!!
flinch.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Lets be honest here, noone is spending $1500 on this kit and calling it done. :rolleyes:

Unless someone would like to take the $1500 challenge?
I believe @audia3 did only this kit plus an IC?