GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
I look at it like this, if I’m not doing some pie in the sky shit (would love to swap a VR6 in), the bulk of my driving is either street or 60-100. So this thing winding out 3rd is probably my bread and butter.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I look at it like this, if I’m not doing some pie in the sky shit (would love to swap a VR6 in), the bulk of my driving is either street or 60-100. So this thing winding out 3rd is probably my bread and butter.
That’s a good way of seeing it. In your case I can see how it fits

I don’t want to lose the way she accelerates in part throttle. I like that crack head acceleration and I value it very much. As a result. The dtr isn’t a good fit for me

plus. I don’t want more than 340-350wtq. It’s a preference and a personal opinion I won’t force on anyone. It’s like a “what works for some won’t for others” type shit

regardless. The dtr and what it kicked off is amazing. No doubt. But maybe make mine a is38 with stock dp that’ll be carb approved

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
That’s a good way of seeing it. In your case I can see how it fits

I don’t want to lose the way she accelerates in part throttle. I like that crack head acceleration and I value it very much. As a result. The dtr isn’t a good fit for me

plus. I don’t want more than 340-350wtq. It’s a preference and a personal opinion I won’t force on anyone. It’s like a “what works for some won’t for others” type shit

regardless. The dtr and what it kicked off is amazing. No doubt. But maybe make mine a is38 with stock dp that’ll be carb approved
That IS20 rush at 3k is real.

Was always thinking it would be IS38, but want to see some stock DP numbers first. Having to deal with swapping out the DP is a problem. No driveway, need to coordinate time to deal with it for annual inspections. Blegh

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That IS20 rush at 3k is real.

Was always thinking it would be IS38, but want to see some stock DP numbers first. Having to deal with swapping out the DP is a problem. No driveway, need to coordinate time to deal with it for annual inspections. Blegh
Oh I feel u

in my case things are better since my inspections won’t start till 2027 and it’ll be every two years

but what’s stopping someone from calling 911 giving my plate number cuz it smells like gas, or too loud, or cop sends me to the ref

and physically I just can’t swap out a dp at all. Not without being in tons of pain half way through.

in regards to is38 numbers. Fingers crossed it’s 350wtq but I might be too delusional haha

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Looked through everything on my R yesterday because it was driving me nuts. Found a couple things that needed attention. The main coupler that comes off the turbo was starting to slip off and the t clamp was loose, again. I'm guessing from the heat cycling it started loosening up. At almost 30 psi, I'm guessing that could have been leaking. I also went through and tightened up every other clamp in the system. Also found an issue with my intake that could have been blocking flow. It's been raining for the past couple days but when it stops I'll try a 0-60 test and see if we're back in business and go back to the track. Like I said, I'm really certain the car has more in it.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
This is my exact reason this is mouthwatering. I said I would stay with stg1 because it was plenty of powa and I didn't have to mess with emissions for NJ. Last car that was a PITA to deal with. This sounds like the answer to going beyond stg1 without changing the dp...

I'm trying to keep looping this in my head but I'm going to break eventually....

APR...why you got to do this to me. lol
I'm in nj. Just had my car inspected with a ie catted downpipe.

I flashed back to stock, installed a o2 spacer and drove 20 miles. In nj you will pass if all but one readiness tests are set. My cat test hadn't passed, but all the other ones did. So I was good to go. Took about an hour from start to finish. Just an FYI for those in NJ for future reference.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I'm liking the look of this kit- the value prop is very real, even if it's only a coin flip as to whether this or an is38 is more power-

Currently rocking the stalwart jb4 on E30.25, (94 Octane and E98 blend works out to 100 Octane).

This apr setup comes with software and some intake bits (those nickels and dimes do add up). Just under 2k cdn, plus an intercooler, plus a TCU tune and a weekend of work- so for 3500 taxes in I have a beastly upgrade.

Silly questions- the APR software by Octane... is that adjustable on the fly?
Also, looks like I'd need E44 to get to 104 AKI, and I'm starting with the 2 best fuels so that's pretty well best case scenario for lowest blend possible... if there's no fueling upgrades available for the GTI software, how the heck do we get that e44 from our gastank to our cylinders? Surely we need an hpfp head replacement for that, no?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Silly questions- the APR software by Octane... is that adjustable on the fly?

It's adjustable on the fly if you fly by the dealer any time you want to change revisions...

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I'm in nj. Just had my car inspected with a ie catted downpipe.

I flashed back to stock, installed a o2 spacer and drove 20 miles. In nj you will pass if all but one readiness tests are set. My cat test hadn't passed, but all the other ones did. So I was good to go. Took about an hour from start to finish. Just an FYI for those in NJ for future reference.
Wish we could pass with a readiness not set. In ca all must be set.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Wish we could pass with a readiness not set. In ca all must be set.
I heard ca doesn't play with emissions testing. Not gonna lie, glad I don't live there. Would suck to have to take dp off every time you have to do emission testing

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Congrats Arin! A baby turbo :)

Welp got the ECU flash. Its a hot day so im not gonna compare how its performing, but feels about the same. Notably, when i went in i had the shop check my emissions readiness (prior to the flash) and they found that the wastegate actuator voltage was low. The tune flash seemed to fix it lol.

Heres the car at GRDtuned, all good guys here.
View attachment 249069
Got a pic next to their badass shop car
View attachment 249070

And for the kid whos so concerned about the turbo whistle, here is a 'cruising around at various throttle inputs' video i took for ya. Open intake with metal pipe.

Did take a pull anways but its 90* out lol so the stock intercooler is definitely hurtin for a squirtin
That whistle is way too much for me. I'd probably just use the stock airbox.

It probably wouldn't have bothered me 20 years ago, but get off my lawn.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
It's adjustable on the fly if you fly by the dealer any time you want to change revisions...
Darn. That's pretty tough.

Like I said, I've always run 94 Octane in the summer, E0 Shell 91 octane in the winter (or if i drive north enough that Esso93 Supreme or Petro 94 Ultra fuels aren't available) Just started to run E30 summer.

I mean, of course I could always keep the jb4 to stack and adjust fuelling and to log, but would really prefer files tiered for the fuel.

Hm. Value proposition just decreased. (edit) I mean, it's still an extremely high value option, turbo, bits and pieces and tune for an is38 would net out as more expensive for sure, just a bit of a bummer about the tuning- while the jb4 could tweak a base file a bit in one direction or another, and I *could* make a reflash part of the seasonal changeover, the timing depending upon a 93 octane or 100 octane map means I'd be leaving a bit on the table for sure.

Last edited:

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion