GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Weird that people are so quick to go chicken little on this when the only results are from cars with screwy setups like the wrong TCU tune/stock intercooler
That’s rices car though the gli car has the right tune and a good enough intercooler.

I think it performs exactly as it’s supposed to though, running my car back to back for the last 2-3 weeks on the same tune and the stock DP vs the trackslag it’s pretty noticeable from the seat how much the stock DP holds the car back performance wise.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
That’s rices car though the gli car has the right tune and a good enough intercooler.

I think it performs exactly as it’s supposed to though, running my car back to back for the last 2-3 weeks on the same tune and the stock DP vs the trackslag it’s pretty noticeable from the seat how much the stock DP holds the car back performance wise.
I thought the GLI guy was running an AWD tune and some mishimoto junk-cooler and was complaining about not enough boost? Jesus this thread is too long to read lol

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Just the opposite. The OEM intercooler was within a few hp all three pulls, and all three fell 67whp +/-3hp short of the aftermarket IC. There’s only so much timing and boost the ECU can pull, and with the OEM unit the baseline seems to be a whole bunch of it.

To be clear the aftermarket IC also had about 3whp variety among the three pulls it did.

Conclusion: you need a intercooler upgrade.

Also, to the guy who claimed “all intercooler upgrades support 600hp” that’s not even close to true. As a consultant in hundreds of builds the fact is MOST intercooler upgrades start falling off after 450whp and completely suck ass by 500whp. Some do better than others, but that’s why companies like A2B, DBV2 & myself offer enormous optional FMIC options that require cutting or replacement of the OEM crashbar (for those in the 1% who make a real world 500+whp)

I wasn't saying all of them support that but I notice a lot will advertise capable of handling up to 600hp or something to that effect. In general, I was just asking that you're using an intercooler more than capable for this and not half assing it to rule that out of being the culprit. That's all.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wasn't saying all of them support that but I notice a lot will advertise capable of handling up to 600hp or something to that effect. In general, I was just asking that you're using an intercooler more than capable for this and not half assing it to rule that out of being the culprit. That's all.

Just wanted to clarify for the guys who are just dipping their toes into modding.

While all aftermarket intercoolers will be a notable upgrade over stock on a mildly modded car there’s absolutely tiers to their performance capabilities. Some of the bottom of the barrel units struggle with as little as 400whp, while some are great up to much more than that.

Malingerer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Just wanted to clarify for the guys who are just dipping their toes into modding.

While all aftermarket intercoolers will be a notable upgrade over stock on a mildly modded car there’s absolutely tiers to their performance capabilities. Some of the bottom of the barrel units struggle with as little as 400whp, while some are great up to much more than that.
Where does the do 88 stand ?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Jake dont you sell intercoolers? I cant find any shop for baun performance

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Also to be fair, I have one local-ish buddy who’s installed a DTR on his FBO GTI. It has all the typical bolt on goodies and he’s happy with the performance. He’s not local enough that I’ve sat down to talk in depth about it, or drive it.
Where does the do 88 stand ?
Do88 is the best of the direct replacements both in fitment & performance from what I’ve seen. It’s “limit” is 450ish in a warm/hot climate.

This is all from various builds around the world I’ve been a part of, no first hand experience with Do88 in-house.
Jake dont you sell intercoolers? I cant find any shop for baun performance

I build a full line of Mk7/7.5 parts on the side in addition to being a aircraft mechanic for a major airline. With my parts being hand built to order there’s really no need for a website, as it’s a much more bespoke buying experience than clicking a single option web page.

Email is always my best contact although I have very active social media accounts on FB, IG, & a monetized YT account. However I’m not a site sponsor here which is why I’ve kept my opinions neutral here on APRs thread and I’m actually a long time customer of theirs dating back to 2011.

Do88 makes great intercoolers.
Agreed

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Also to be fair, I have one local-ish buddy who’s installed a DTR on his FBO GTI. It has all the typical bolt on goodies and he’s happy with the performance. He’s not local enough that I’ve sat down to talk in depth about it, or drive it.

Do88 is the best of the direct replacements both in fitment & performance from what I’ve seen. It’s “limit” is 450ish in a warm/hot climate.

This is all from various builds around the world I’ve been a part of, no first hand experience with Do88 in-house.

I build a full line of Mk7/7.5 parts on the side in addition to being a aircraft mechanic for a major airline. With my parts being hand built to order there’s really no need for a website, as it’s a much more bespoke buying experience than clicking a single option web page.

Email is always my best contact although I have very active social media accounts on FB, IG, & a monetized YT account. However I’m not a site sponsor here which is why I’ve kept my opinions neutral here on APRs thread and I’m actually a long time customer of theirs dating back to 2011.

Agreed
with all the help and support you give this place you should have a free site sponsor, but ... you know lol

Either way I and many others can give good reviews of Jakes work and customer support