GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ARM FMIC install tip

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I have their catted DP as well, loving both so far. As a company their customer support has been amazing. They sent out the missing clamps the next day after I emailed them about them, and were great about a few other items I contacted them about as well - I was missing the stock IC caps, and stripped one of the larger clamps on install - both mailed out for free the next day.

Once I get the smaller clamps on the stock charge pipes I'll try and finally get some logs, but honestly the car feels like it's got a bit more pep especially in city/stop and go driving.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I'm not trying to push huge numbers or anything crazy. Upgrading the intercooler seems to be a well worth supporting mod but I'm already iffy about removing the bumper, let alone dealing with the crash bar, supporting the assembly, etc. I won't be tracking it either, mostly daily driving and spirited drives. I was gonna go stock location intercooler, but factoring in price, installation, driving habits...seems like FMIC is the way to go for me.

For the price, ARM's FMIC seems decent with a larger core volume than ECS' FMIC. Would you guys say that ARM's densely packed fins are a plus over other FMIC's?

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I'm not trying to push huge numbers or anything crazy. Upgrading the intercooler seems to be a well worth supporting mod but I'm already iffy about removing the bumper, let alone dealing with the crash bar, supporting the assembly, etc. I won't be tracking it either, mostly daily driving and spirited drives. I was gonna go stock location intercooler, but factoring in price, installation, driving habits...seems like FMIC is the way to go for me.

For the price, ARM's FMIC seems decent with a larger core volume than ECS' FMIC. Would you guys say that ARM's densely packed fins are a plus over other FMIC's?
Don't be worried about the install and the bumper. The install is pretty straight forward and the bumper is a hell of a lot stronger than you think it is. IMHO the most tedious part was taking all of the screws out of the fender liner and the pan under the car. You may have to do an extra step since you are in a Mk 7.5, but still shouldn't be too tricky. If you decide to go the ARM route, I would be more than happy to offer any knowledge I have on the install.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

I went with the ARM because other than potentially having to remove the air fins on either side of the cooling stack, there wasn't any other modification needed. I've heard the ECS FMIC can require some bumper trimming to fit correctly - AT least on the Golf/1.8T, not sure on the GTI. ARM was the only one that offered no modification needed for less than a stock location upgrade. Cheapest stock IC was the BMS one, which I was going to go with - but the ease of install sold it for the ARM.

Here's some data comparing the ARM to a Vibrant 12810 core of about the same size:
http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/10/arm-motorsports-fmic-bench-cooling-test/
Some other data he has on it:
http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/10/arm-fmic-street-data/

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
As for the ARM install, it's pretty straight forward. I've dropped my bumper like 6 times now in the last year or so - so it's a 20 minute job anymore. :LOL: Just take your time when undoing the clips at the front and under the lights - They'll be stiff if it's the first time the bumpers been removed, just take your time and maybe use a trim tool to loosen the front ones under the upper grille. Biggest PIA for me was mounting the damn thing as the arms didn't want to line up with the outer T30 holes - but this is more to having a tweaked crash bar on my car than the kit itself.

Also I'd mount the core first and then fiddle with the sleeves and pipes. Their instructions have you mount them prior to install and I found that to make adjustment and spacing a pain. Would have been easier to gap and align with the core mounted first.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

it's only denser by a wee bit. enough to where at wide open throttle your temps hardly climb. it takes a while for it to heat soak. but once it does heat soak some you'd just have to do the speed limit for maybe 3-5 city blocks before the temps are ambient again. stock location upgrades shed their heat almost instantly, at worse 4-5 seconds. those have a lot more frontal area.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I'm eyeballing my wallet as I read through all your comments 😬

I read the articles Coma referred too and there a few takeaways:

Pros:
  • (Speculative) Denser fins; possibly makes it a better heatsink
  • Performs similar to Vibrant 12810 IC
  • Does a good job dropping the comp outlet air temps
  • Ambient temps had a median value of 12 degrees F on multiple pulls
Cons:
  • (Speculative) Denser fins take longer to release the stored heat
  • 4 PSI pressure drops; higher than larger stock location intercoolers including Stock GTI (ECS claims their FMIC, "0.5 PSI lower pressure drop at 6,250 RPM")
    • I'm not sure this point is relevant to me because I only push this hard when datalogging for tune refinements.
@Keehs360, you mention that heat soak does take some time to reach ambient temps. But this would be more of an issue for someone autox'ing or tracking the car? Does that sound right?

@StorableComa and @DrFunkalupicus, I hope you guys are right about the bumper. I hate breaking clips and fasteners, gives me anxiety. I've done all my mods on my own (first time every modding a car) and whatever reason, removing the bumper is freaking me out!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I'm eyeballing my wallet as I read through all your comments 😬

I read the articles Coma referred too and there a few takeaways:

Pros:
  • (Speculative) Denser fins; possibly makes it a better heatsink
  • Performs similar to Vibrant 12810 IC
  • Does a good job dropping the comp outlet air temps
  • Ambient temps had a median value of 12 degrees F on multiple pulls
Cons:
  • (Speculative) Denser fins take longer to release the stored heat
  • 4 PSI pressure drops; higher than larger stock location intercoolers including Stock GTI (ECS claims their FMIC, "0.5 PSI lower pressure drop at 6,250 RPM")
    • I'm not sure this point is relevant to me because I only push this hard when datalogging for tune refinements.
@Keehs360, you mention that heat soak does take some time to reach ambient temps. But this would be more of an issue for someone autox'ing or tracking the car? Does that sound right?

@StorableComa and @DrFunkalupicus, I hope you guys are right about the bumper. I hate breaking clips and fasteners, gives me anxiety. I've done all my mods on my own (first time every modding a car) and whatever reason, removing the bumper is freaking me out!
Correct. This isn’t an issue unless you’re doing back to back to back pulls or tracking. And even then it still performs way better than the stock location upgrades.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I am exactly the same as you! Done all my mods on my own for the first time and it is a great feeling. The bumper is nothing to fear. The instructions from ARM for taking the bumper off suck though, so I would hit up the CTS install instructions for that part. If I can remember correctly, I took four screws out of each wheel well, all of the screws out of the bottom of the bumper and the skid pan, and then there were three holding the bumper across. Once I got all of the screws out, I grabbed the right side by the wheel well and yanked it free and then went to the left and did the same. I then used a pick I got from Ye Olde Harbour Freight to work on the clips.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Also, I have a basic bitch GTI, so I don't have any fancy sensors to deal with so your mileage may vary when it comes to the bumper removal, but it shouldn't be too much different.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Also, I have a basic bitch GTI, so I don't have any fancy sensors to deal with so your mileage may vary when it comes to the bumper removal, but it shouldn't be too much different.
Basic as a 2020 GTI S can get. I've stepping out of my comfort zone with messing with cars lately, so the excitement of the new part overcomes the anxiety that comes with breaking clips and shit. It would make things a little less nerve racking if I had someone nearby who's experienced. I would do that work to gain the experience, but would by nice to have someone just watching over to support when I wanna kick the car of the stands :LOL: .

Oh, does the FMIC come with intercooler caps to seal off the OEM IC?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Basic as a 2020 GTI S can get. I've stepping out of my comfort zone with messing with cars lately, so the excitement of the new part overcomes the anxiety that comes with breaking clips and shit. It would make things a little less nerve racking if I had someone nearby who's experienced. I would do that work to gain the experience, but would by nice to have someone just watching over to support when I wanna kick the car of the stands :LOL: .

Oh, does the FMIC come with intercooler caps to seal off the OEM IC?
Mine did. And I’ve handed out tips to a few folks who were doing the install and remember one person saying his didn’t come with the caps. But that’s ok, 2$ each at Home Depot. Plumbing aisle

can I dm u this video I made? It’s not an install video but it’ll explain stuff

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Mine did. And I’ve handed out tips to a few folks who were doing the install and remember one person saying his didn’t come with the caps. But that’s ok, 2$ each at Home Depot. Plumbing aisle

can I dm u this video I made? It’s not an install video but it’ll explain stuff
Of course, anything that'll help me out. As long as I can procure the caps locally, I'm good.