GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ARM FMIC install tip

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Basic as a 2020 GTI S can get. I've stepping out of my comfort zone with messing with cars lately, so the excitement of the new part overcomes the anxiety that comes with breaking clips and shit. It would make things a little less nerve racking if I had someone nearby who's experienced. I would do that work to gain the experience, but would by nice to have someone just watching over to support when I wanna kick the car of the stands :LOL: .

Oh, does the FMIC come with intercooler caps to seal off the OEM IC?
Mine came with the caps

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Now I am wishing I took a better video of my install.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Mine came with the caps, but ARM will gladly send you a set if yours go missing. keehs360's videos aren't DAP-style how to's, they point out things that you'd have to figure out on your own that he had to. It's valuable info, especially if you have a Mk7.5.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Mine came with the caps, but ARM will gladly send you a set if yours go missing. keehs360's videos aren't DAP-style how to's, they point out things that you'd have to figure out on your own that he had to. It's valuable info, especially if you have a Mk7.5.
I use the Youtube videos for reference as they are never 100% honest with their installs. Re-watched some videos after I completed the mod myself, and I catch the tough shit that they edit out. I don't expect everything to be handed to me, but they just leave out the annoyances that have you wanting to flip the car over. I'm very patient, but I admit there have been instances where I start to regret doing shit in the first place. I push through and get it done cause I have to. Trying to get the OEM stock dp would be a lot harder than putting in the aftermarket one :cautious: .

Video's like Keehs are extremely invaluable to people like me who don't have the experience or don't have local resources to assist. He's not gaining anything but out to help out others though experience. I'm learning a lot because of this community and working on the car myself is building up confidence I didn't have to take on projects like this.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

I use the Youtube videos for reference as they are never 100% honest with their installs. Re-watched some videos after I completed the mod myself, and I catch the tough shit that they edit out. I don't expect everything to be handed to me, but they just leave out the annoyances that have you wanting to flip the car over. I'm very patient, but I admit there have been instances where I start to regret doing shit in the first place. I push through and get it done cause I have to. Trying to get the OEM stock dp would be a lot harder than putting in the aftermarket one :cautious: .

Video's like Keehs are extremely invaluable to people like me who don't have the experience or don't have local resources to assist. He's not gaining anything but out to help out others though experience. I'm learning a lot because of this community and working on the car myself is building up confidence I didn't have to take on projects like this.
Thnx. I hated how the products quality didn’t match the supplied instructions. So I figured this shit was stupid easy to install, but there’s a few tips folks would like.

what really confuses folks is all that damn extra hardware tbh

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
She's done boys...the ARM FMIC is in. All the tips you guys provided was helpful.

A few tips that I can contribute;
  • When removing old tubing, use a pick to separate pipes. Don't force it too much.
  • When trying to mount the FMIC alone , I set the FMIC on jack stands.
  • I tried installing the brackets to the car first, but installing it on the fmic loose, then aligning the brackets to the top portion made it easier to mount. Mounted driver side first, once in place, worked on getting it on the passenger side.
  • Mind the beveled lips on pipes when getting the clamps on.
  • Remove air dams from bumper using a straight bone tool for easier removal; you can see the tabs they latch to.
Thanks again @Keehs360 and @DrFunkalupicus for all your help!

Attachments

• PXL_20210526_150703118.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210526_150703118.MP.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20210526_163503888.jpg
    PXL_20210526_163503888.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 95

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
It is fairly warm here today and as I drove around and seeing my AIT rise and my power drop I came home and ordered a ARM FMIC. :)

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Had an ARM FMIC installed for a few months and about 8 track days and it performed very well with no perceptible heat soak. Unfortunately I'm replacing mine with a stock mount intercooler so I can run a front oil cooler among other things. If anyone in the central NC area is looking for a discounted black ARM FMIC, PM me.

Only thing I can add to install was that it was very simple which is great and I had to dremel out the ambient air sensor bracket, could not get the FMIC to fit in its mounting holes without that space being flush to the crash bar. Everything else fit great and was a really nice piece of equipment.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Had an ARM FMIC installed for a few months and about 8 track days and it performed very well with no perceptible heat soak. Unfortunately I'm replacing mine with a stock mount intercooler so I can run a front oil cooler among other things. If anyone in the central NC area is looking for a discounted black ARM FMIC, PM me.

Only thing I can add to install was that it was very simple which is great and I had to dremel out the ambient air sensor bracket, could not get the FMIC to fit in its mounting holes without that space being flush to the crash bar. Everything else fit great and was a really nice piece of equipment.
I didn’t dremel I just rocked back and forth till it broke off. Luckily it was a clean cut