GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have experience with updated Ohlins road and track kit?

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I posted the same question over at the vwvortex forum but haven't gotten any response. I figured I'd post here as well incase this forum gets more GTI traffic.

I've done my research and still have a few questions. From what I've read, the Ohlins road and track kit was previously offered with a 70n/mm front spring and 50n/mm rear, designated by the part number MP21. It now seems that this kit has been replaced by the MT21 with front/rear 70n/mm springs. Does anyone have experience with this new version? Is it still fairly compliant and comfortable for daily driving?

I was previously set on the Sachs Performance kit, however after hearing about spring bind issues and questioning the performance of progressive springs, I am leaning more towards spending the extra money for the Ohlins.

Can anyone clarify what the difference is between the MT21-01 vs. the MT21-02 or MT22-07 kit? I found all three listed on springrates.com. On Ohlins USA it seems the MT22 may be for the Golf R with a higher rear spring rate?

If anyone can comment on the part number differences or the ride comfort of the newer kit spring rates I would very much appreciate it. If anyone knows of a way to quiet down the Sachs kit, I would be interested as well.

My goal for my GTI is to maintain a near stock ride height and similar comfort while also improving track day performance.

I'm mainly looking for we experience with the updated spring rates relating to ride comfort. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I posted the same question over at the vwvortex forum but haven't gotten any response. I figured I'd post here as well incase this forum gets more GTI traffic.

I've done my research and still have a few questions. From what I've read, the Ohlins road and track kit was previously offered with a 70n/mm front spring and 50n/mm rear, designated by the part number MP21. It now seems that this kit has been replaced by the MT21 with front/rear 70n/mm springs. Does anyone have experience with this new version? Is it still fairly compliant and comfortable for daily driving?

I was previously set on the Sachs Performance kit, however after hearing about spring bind issues and questioning the performance of progressive springs, I am leaning more towards spending the extra money for the Ohlins.

Can anyone clarify what the difference is between the MT21-01 vs. the MT21-02 or MT22-07 kit? I found all three listed on springrates.com. On Ohlins USA it seems the MT22 may be for the Golf R with a higher rear spring rate?

If anyone can comment on the part number differences or the ride comfort of the newer kit spring rates I would very much appreciate it. If anyone knows of a way to quiet down the Sachs kit, I would be interested as well.

My goal for my GTI is to maintain a near stock ride height and similar comfort while also improving track day performance.

I'm mainly looking for we experience with the updated spring rates relating to ride comfort. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
What you need to know about this purchase is that the springs that come with either kit, are irrelevant. You are buying a shock, not springs. Springs are replaceable.

For comfort you will want to run the kit front springs, if you want, but then, I suggest using a much higher rear rate. With equal rates, or close to equal rates front to rear, the car will not have enough rear spring to catch up to the font over bumps. IMO, this is the biggest contributing factor to ride comfort, the forward and aft pitching and bouncing.

With a larger rear spring, I suggest a starting rate of 575 in/lb or higher, depending on the front rate (400 in/lb for the MT22). Then you turn up the rear rebound to slow down the rear motion over bumps to your liking.

I raced 425/750 last autocross season. The rid is very flat, and comfort depends mostly on tire sidewall.

Right now for the winter I run the OEM front springs and Koni FSD front shock. The rear has the Ohlin stock 400 in/lb and Ohlin shock. Wheels are 225/40/17.

The ride is very comfortable over bumps.

On the track with the 425 springs I run the front shock at full soft, the rear with 750 springs I run maybe 50-70% stiffer than soft, depending on the surface.

I think this means you can run a much higher front spring, and maybe another 50-100 lb/in spring in the rear over what springs I'm running, without a re-valve.

Whatever you do, a softer rear spring rate will be a worse ride quality.

Last edited:

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
What you need to know about this purchase is that the springs that come with either kit, are irrelevant. You are buying a shock, not springs. Springs are replaceable.

For comfort you will want to run the kit front springs, if you want, but then, I suggest using a much higher rear rate. With equal rates, or close to equal rates front to rear, the car will not have enough rear spring to catch up to the font over bumps. IMO, this is the biggest contributing factor to ride comfort, the forward and aft pitching and bouncing.

With a larger rear spring, I suggest a starting rate of 575 in/lb or higher, depending on the front rate (400 in/lb for the MT22). Then you turn up the rear rebound to slow down the rear motion over bumps to your liking.

I raced 425/750 last autocross season. The rid is very flat, and comfort depends mostly on tire sidewall.

Right now for the winter I run the OEM front springs and Koni FSD front shock. The rear has the Ohlin stock 400 in/lb and Ohlin shock. Wheels are 225/40/17.

The ride is very comfortable over bumps.

On the track with the 425 springs I run the shock at full soft, the rear with 750 springs I run maybe 50-70% stiffer than soft, depending on the surface.

I think this means you can run a much higher front spring, and maybe another 50-100 lb/in spring in the rear over what springs I'm running, without a re-valve.

Whatever you do, a softer rear spring rate will be a worse ride quality.

Thanks for the insight! That definitely puts my worry to rest that the new stiffer rear spring will decrease ride quality. I previously heard that the rear rate should be a bit lower due to less weight compared to the front of the car.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’ve had a similar experience with my MT21’s. The Ohlins DFV design does a great job soaking up bumps.
I started out with 450/450 lbs 8k/8k front rear springs last year. This November I went to a 672lbs rear spring 8k/12k and the balance of the car is much improved on track.

Road comfort is good. Definitely firm but the shock does a great job handling the stiffer spring rate.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Thanks again for the responses! Lots of good info in those threads. It would seem based on the shock settings you use that going with a softer front spring instead of a stiffer rear isn't a great option. I'm just trying to be sure I don't make this car too uncomfortable/impractical on the road.

I got side tracked by some off topic discussions in the threads you linked too. It seems there is a massive amount to learn about this chassis with all the different VAQ and traction control software mods and settings. Also seems there are a variety of options for cooling that I'm sure I'll need to look into eventually.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
So from those who have experienced the Ohlins road and track kit for our cars. How comfortable is it? Do you find yourself avoiding those slightly rougher back roads and get annoyed by rough pavement or is it still nice to drive on the street?

I just can't decide between the Ohlins and the Sachs performance kit. I just don't want to make my car too stiff to the point that I don't enjoy it on the street. My only worry with the sachs is not being able to stay at a high enough ride height and also I've never used progressive springs before. The idea sounds good, but on track I can see how it would be a bit worse performance wise.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
If you want a stock ish ride height, get the ohlins. Or spend the difference on linear springs and mounting hardware and get the Sachs.

The ohlins is the better shock by far, and it’s DFV valving make it very comfortable, with the correct rebound settings, on the street.

You won’t find a more comfortable shock for the money.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
So I guess the MT 22 kit is a better starting point as it comes with a 500lb rear spring vs. the 400lb rear spring in the MT21 kit. The Golf R and GTI kits will fit the same correct? I believe as far as coilover kits are concerned, fitment should be the same unless I'm mistaken.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So I guess the MT 22 kit is a better starting point as it comes with a 500lb rear spring vs. the 400lb rear spring in the MT21 kit. The Golf R and GTI kits will fit the same correct? I believe as far as coilover kits are concerned, fitment should be the same unless I'm mistaken.
Get whichever is cheaper, or if you are going to run the springs in the kit, get the staggered springs, and run the higher spring in the rear.

Otherwise, it doesn’t matter because the springs are interchangeable.

You can get springs cheap from hypercoil.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Get whichever is cheaper, or if you are going to run the springs in the kit, get the staggered springs, and run the higher spring in the rear.

Otherwise, it doesn’t matter because the springs are interchangeable.

You can get springs cheap from hypercoil.

For the rear springs, I'll need a spring with a 65mm or 2.5in ID and an 8" length correct?

Will these work?

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/store/product/hypercoil-coilover-springs-25-id-8-length-575lbs/

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Those will work, and depending on the ride height you may need other hardware. I think for an OEM like ride height the 8 inch should work without a helper spring.

Here is what I am using.

IMG_3418.JPEG

And here is what the Ohlin spring looks like. It's 8 inches x 400, so your 8 inch x575, all things being equal, will push the car up higher, so you will have enough room to lower the upper perch quite a bit. By lower I mean, turn the spring perch up towards the car. I know that can be confusing.

IMG_3169.JPEG