GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have experience with updated Ohlins road and track kit?

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Thank you both for the replies, you guys are super helpful! I had hoped I could get away with the stock endlinks staying near stock height, but I guess with the added camber it makes sense that adjustable links are needed.

I can't seem to find the powergrids in stock anywhere. I believe I will be just over -2 degrees camber in front. I installed the CSS swivels along with the eurosport camber strut mount insert which theoretically adds .8 degrees. These Neuspeed links look like they may be the next best option in terms of clearance just judging from pictures.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-neuspeed-parts/front-sway-bar-end-links/32.10.92~neu/

Also regarding the rebound adjustment, I did stop turning the adjuster the second it stopped clicking. I was gentle and didnt force any turns. Each click felt the same till the last one. Would have been nice if the owners manual mentioned the max clicks from stiff for the useable adjustment range. They rear shocks came out of the box at 34 clicks front full stiff. All adjustable shocks I've had in the past stop turning at the full soft position, but I guess these don't have that feature. I'll keep it 20 clicks from full stiff as the softest I experiment with. Right now I have it on 20 clicks in front and 15 in back and it feels pretty good with the 400/575 springs for street driving.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I called powergrid and turns out they had a set of front links in stock! Super nice guy and good customer service.

Thanks for the recommendation @Mini7
You’re welcome! I used them on my Cooper S and recalled that they were more compact than my SuperPro endlinks. Helpful when running plenty of front camber.

Did you measure your ride heights before and after? Fender to ground. I’m curious.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
You’re welcome! I used them on my Cooper S and recalled that they were more compact than my SuperPro endlinks. Helpful when running plenty of front camber.

Did you measure your ride heights before and after? Fender to ground. I’m curious.
I was dumb and measured from the top of the centercap lip, so probably not comparable. Measuring from the ground likely would've been better. I'll get some measurements from the ground when I install the endlinks.

After install using my method of measurement, I'm about 5mm lower than stock both front and back.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

Forgot to post the numbers, but measuring from the ground with 225/40-18 tires at 33 psi I'm at 25.75in. in front and 26.4in. in back.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I can't seem to find the powergrids in stock anywhere. I believe I will be just over -2 degrees camber in front. I installed the CSS swivels along with the eurosport camber strut mount insert which theoretically adds .8 degrees. These Neuspeed links look like they may be the next best option in terms of clearance just judging from pictures.
Have you measured camber with this setup yet? And are you still on stock LCA/bushings?

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Have you measured camber with this setup yet? And are you still on stock LCA/bushings?
Still on stock lca and bushings (avoiding poly bushings for now). I'm waiting for an audi aluminum subframe, deadset kit, and ttrs control arm bushings before getting an alignment done. Using an unreliable at home camber guage and not taking care to position my upper strut mounts to the car evenly, I was at around 2.4 degrees on the passenger side and 3.2 on the driver's. I'll report back once I install the deadset kit and get an alignment.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Anybody know how long the downtime is for a shock rebuild? Only thing that's keeping me from pulling the trigger on a set of Ohlins (besides budget, of course...)

Also, do these ever go on sale?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Anybody know how long the downtime is for a shock rebuild? Only thing that's keeping me from pulling the trigger on a set of Ohlins (besides budget, of course...)

I've seen them as low as $2500 w/o any shock services, call around.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

Varies. Two of my friends have ohlins, one has done a rebuild twice (first at 50k and second at 15k miles) and took 6 weeks each time, while the other did a rebuild at 25k and took 10 weeks.

Moton and similar others are also generally around 6 weeks from what I've seen.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Varies. Two of my friends have ohlins, one has done a rebuild twice (first at 50k and second at 15k miles) and took 6 weeks each time, while the other did a rebuild at 25k and took 10 weeks.

Moton and similar others are also generally around 6 weeks from what I've seen.
Oof. Guess I'll have to plan on swapping back to stock shocks for winter when they need a rebuild!

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I've seen them as low as $2500 w/o any shock services, call around.
Shouldn't need any services as long as I don't get too crazy with the spring rates, right? Any idea what the max spring rate I can stick on the rear without revalving is? (Ohlins mt22)

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Shouldn't need any services as long as I don't get too crazy with the spring rates, right? Any idea what the max spring rate I can stick on the rear without revalving is? (Ohlins mt22)
I think 750 is close to the max, that's what I run in the rear during race season.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Oof. Guess I'll have to plan on swapping back to stock shocks for winter when they need a rebuild!
You can shop around too, I'm sure there are lots of smaller shops that deal with Ohlins that might have quicker turn around. The downside to a rebuild in the winter (off-season) is that's typically when most shops are backed up and likely to take longer.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

I got mine for about $200 off during the winter holiday sales a few months back. That was the cheapest I had seem them. Down time will be a drag, but definitely worth it considering their performance and it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new set of PSS10 shocks or similar setup when performance starts to drop.

According to Barry from 3DM, I guess the MT21 and MT22 is being discontinued and replaced by a version with shortened shocks and struts to allow for more lowering. I guess the Audi MQB owners shopping the same kit didn't like the lack of lowering since those cars start lower than ours from the get go. I think I got one of the last kits that allowed the car to stay closer to oem ride height.