GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB 1 (Discover pro) Problem.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Hi everyone, I have a GOLF MK7 2015
I was driving to work when suddenly the Infotaiment turned of (Screen, Button ilumination, Headunit.)
And wont respond to anything...
Things i Tried :
Disconnecting the battery for 10 min. - Did nothing
Holding Menu button and Power button - Did nothing
Tried to connect radio outside the car with a power supply - Radio did not start.
VCDS- cannot reach Infotaiment unit.
Canbus error 66052 and 131699.
Did someone experienced this?
Could someone please help ?
Thank you !

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
eric: some free advice - have you checked the fuse? On a Rest-of-world car, it's fuse #12 (20 Amp) on the fuse panel below (see the highlighted fuse):

If the fuse is OK - try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery to reset the CAN network

Don

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Don, thanks for the help.
But nothing works. It doesn’t respond to anything. The power is going to the radio But the radio is not responding..
I tried to connecting it to external power supply and putting a CD into the drive. But I can just slide the CD in. The unit does not respond to anything.
Hopefully it is not the motherboard..

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I recently replaced my infotainment unit for a different type of problem. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/infotainment-unit-draining-battery.379517/ $163 for used headunit. You will need to rent or purchase a VAS5054 with OKI chipset and D-link USB to Ethernet adapter and approximately $50 for someone to remotely remove component protection and reinstall Functional Enablement Codes. If it is the headunit, this would be a significantly cheaper then purchasing a new unit at dealer prices and an hour or two of labor. Simaservis can get this done or Jack who's contact information is in this thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...o-mib2-infotainment-conversion-part-1.343701/

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
I am going on saturday to a guy that repairs these units.. I was hoping to fix it myself.. but i dont want to open the radio...And i am thinking that if the repair of the unit will be expensive then I will buy a MIB 2 and do the conversion.
Actually they are selling hacked units for $400. It can be coded with VCDS. So iwill post an update..

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
Just get 3G0035043 and I will activate it and code it to your VIN.
Forget the hacked units.Mostly are badly done and support is non existent once you pay for it.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
For your consideration. This is an article on hacked vs legit units. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mib-retrofits-fec-swap-hacked-vs-legit.342683/ For the cost estimate I provided for in post #5, add $250 for the Ap Connect FeC so a legit unit is within $100 of the hacked unit.
Thank you for the help ! Bad for me the dealer is not willing to do the cp for me. I Tried like 3 VW shops/services. In one they said i quote : “there is no such thing like that and it wont work with the MIB retrofit”
So i need to find someone who have Odis to remove the CP and leave the FeC codes..

GTiTES81

Ready to race!
So I have a 2015 mk7 with an MIB1 that’s crapping out , rebooting every 15 minutes. What you’re saying is I can get a used one on EBay and you’ll be able to program it so that it works in my car? Any insight on which unit to get? Or do I need to pull my original out and check for part #?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
So I have a 2015 mk7 with an MIB1 that’s crapping out , rebooting every 15 minutes. What you’re saying is I can get a used one on EBay and you’ll be able to program it so that it works in my car? Any insight on which unit to get? Or do I need to pull my original out and check for part #?

You should be able to hold the menu button for 10 seconds to get the information of hardware and software part numbers. After holding for 10s select Service Mode, the part number of the unit will be displayed. Else, pulling the unit is fairly straight forward, but you need the right keys (a couple bucks on ebay/amazon) to unlatch so it is released and you can pull out. Likely is part number 5G0035844 if non Nav from 2015. This thread should have information on how to pull out head unit and info on if you want to go MIB2. Also, has info on a few members who rent out their VAS5054 and D-link (needed for remote programming) https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...o-mib2-infotainment-conversion-part-1.343701/ Many people have upgraded to MIB2 and likely have their old unit laying around as doorstops, so $60 and shipping should get it done, rental of equipment which is minimal, and I am guessing for a straight swap well under $100 for component protection removal and reinstalling your functional enablement codes. So significantly cheaper then the dealer wanting $1,300 for a new unit and an hour or two at VW dealer rates for replacement.

$75 shipped for my perfectly working 5G0035844 from a 2015 SE. I replaced with another MIB2 in 2017 so it is has little use. I can also rent you VAS5054 and D-link for nominal fee, $30. Deposit will be a little over replacement cost. Simaservis can do the work. PM him for his cost. Details can be found here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/fs-mib1-discover-pro-vas-5054-d-link-rental.380358/

Last edited:

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Ok i found the problem with my MIB 1
The washer fluid line that goes to the rear window broke right behind the infotaiment.
So when i was cleaning the rear window it sprayed all over the unit.. so it got water damage..i think that fried the mainboard.. So i think replacing the unit is the only way..