GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone who rebuilds IS20s and makes them stronger?

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
Instead of rebuilding one, I would just get another one. I even have one as a backup.

You can send it to Nick at TPC. U know I beat the piss out my tpc20. The thing is...any turbo can break, at any time. There is no single indestructible one. Except maybe an is12 😂

Once you start playing with power and introducing new things to the car its a risk. Sometimes the stock units fail on people in normal situations who don't even know this forum exists!

So take your 20 and get all the support work done to support twhat you want. Eventually you will change the turbo to something at the end of the day. The quest for more power never goes away, it just gets slowed down lol. If it dies then you can just take it out and send it to someone for a hybrid or do something else.

You can make wicked fun power out of a is20. Its underrated imo. I'll take its function over the is38 all day. Especially on track.
Only reason I wanted a stronger one was because i'm not doing the work on my car myself 💀. I want to at some point and am working towards it. This is my daily and if the turbo goes out: yikes. I can afford to fix it but god knows when it will be fixed. I always thought my IS20 was pretty strong lol. I abuse it and it runs and runs and runs like day 1! I figure it will be fine, I doubt it will die quick off of what I do. I don't track the car or drag it.. legally or illegally. So i'm sure by the time she explodes, it will be fine. Hey maybe by then IS20s will be $100! 😂

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have finally decided on my plan for increasing power on my car and will be going full E85 on my IS20.
Thing is, i'm worried about the longevity of the turbo while doing this.
So i'm wondering when the turbo inevitably fails, who takes IS20s and rebuilds them to be stronger?
I'm aware of the TPC20 but right now that isn't an option. The fact there aren't many out there being used and 2-3 already have failed is not a good sign.
Combine TurboDirects video on why hybrid turbos are guaranteed to fail, I'd rather stay away.

So now i'm left with either: nuke oem is20s or nuke the one I have now and then get it rebuilt stronger so it won't blow.. if that's even possible.
I know TurboDirect makes a non-hybrid stronger IS38 and that certainly isn't off the table for me but i'd rather have a IS20.
Maybe they'll make an IS20 version aswell but for now, not an option.

One of the forum members who works for TPC said that they have had 2 failures total out of all the TPC20 's they have sold.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190102-190035_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20190102-190035_Instagram.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 75

WagenWizard

Ready to race!
I am enjoying my IS38 4motion wagon so far. I was originally going to go with the IS20 but I was able to pick up an IS38 for a great price. The car is super smooth and drives like stock if you don't get on the go pedal too hard. The UM stage 1 IS12 was very punchy and really felt like it was working hard when pushed, the IS38 is waaay more enjoyable to drive as a DD. I don't plan on ever taking this car to the track, I am guessing it makes somewhere is the 325+ hp range and perhaps would put me in the 12's in the quarter mile.

That being said, I did not have the chance to drive an IS20 equipped car so I don't know how that compares to the IS38 or IS12.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Not really. You can't cut a sub 4s on street tires on the street in a FWD GTI. Removing weight won't help with traction. Dude talks out his ass constantly on his channel. No credibility.

Has anybody ever called his bullshit out in the comments section of his videos?

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
While we're still on the subject, he claims you need HPFP A N D LPFP A N D MPI with 1300CC injecs. to get the most out of full E85 on IS20 lol.
Comments?

Last edited: