GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Does it feel way crazier up top past 7200 or is it more of the same?

It doesn't pull any harder up there, just pulls longer in the same gear.

Doesn't seem to fall off, so the extra RPM should make the car faster.

I have my limiter set at 8000, we'll have to see what the dyno and Dragy say but I'll probably shift at 7800 or so.

Best benefit is when you start spinning a lot of rpm, these engines finally start to sound decent lol

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Best benefit is when you start spinning a lot of rpm, these engines finally start to sound decent lol

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
God i couldn't imagine shifting at 7800. When i hit 7200 i have to tell my baby everything is ok and i didnt mean to do that to her, then i buy her a new mod and we are all good again.
This was me the first time I ever drove a honda S2000 when they first came out in '99......I'd NEVER driven a car in that high of an rpm and thought I was going to break it!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This was me the first time I ever drove a honda S2000 when they first came out in '99......I'd NEVER driven a car in that high of an rpm and thought I was going to break it!

My ex wife had one of those and while they weren't that fast overall they sure were fun to run to redline and run through the gears with that close ratio trans.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
My old E46M redlined at 8250. My GTI felt like a diesel when I first got it 😆. The GTI is faster though.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
My old E46M redlined at 8250. My GTI felt like a diesel when I first got it 😆. The GTI is faster though.
Did you track the e46? I wanna get one to track just because I feel like it would be so much better than our cars. I agree its gonna be slower in the straight tho

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
My ex wife had one of those and while they weren't that fast overall they sure were fun to run to redline and run through the gears with that close ratio trans.
maybe not in a straight line but they are a fantastic base for a track car. Back when I use to do a shit ton of HPDE's some of the fastest cars were the properly sorted S2000's

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Did you track the e46? I wanna get one to track just because I feel like it would be so much better than our cars. I agree its gonna be slower in the straight tho

If you do shop for one, try to find a CSL E46 M3. They did not bring them over here to the States but you never know, you might get lucky and find one that was brought over from somebody because they are awesome track cars.