GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Plus, anyone running it yet?

dupsatou

Passed Driver's Ed
It does have a money back guarantee but I'd be worried that your ECU has already been flashed so the damage is done. You should be able to get your money back but unless somebody is going to replace your ECU then VW will think you've been flashed should you ever have warranty work again... That's always been sort of the kicker to the money back part. Sure... we'll refund you but your warranty is already shot.

EDIT to add: I'd maybe ask APR this as well when you contact them if you decide you want to undo it...

dupsatou

Passed Driver's Ed
A VW dealership can just flash over the APR file.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that would eliminate the vehicle from being flagged as flashed would it? I thought that was the whole point of TD1 and even why you might want APR Plus to begin with...

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I'm not sure that would eliminate the vehicle from being flagged as flashed would it? I thought that was the whole point of TD1 and even why you might want APR Plus to begin with...

The software should scan before flash.

So yeah, he F’d. It should flag TD1.

Now that the warranty is out the window, get a Cobb with Strat or EQT Protune and enjoy your car.

The factory warranty isn’t that great of a selling point to me personality, unless you plan on selling the car during the Powertrain warranty phase.

Then you should disclose.

loopless

Passed Driver's Ed
It does have a money back guarantee but I'd be worried that your ECU has already been flashed so the damage is done. You should be able to get your money back but unless somebody is going to replace your ECU then VW will think you've been flashed should you ever have warranty work again... That's always been sort of the kicker to the money back part. Sure... we'll refund you but your warranty is already shot.

EDIT to add: I'd maybe ask APR this as well when you contact them if you decide you want to undo it...
I you don't like the tune, get your APR dealer to refund you the money in your 30 day window and they will flash back to stock (they keep an 'bit-perfect' image of your ECU) . The ECU is then exactly as per factory and is not going to be flagged TD1. This may start an endless series of posts, but there seems very little evidence of VW flagging a Stg 1 MK 7 with TD1 after being flashed back to stock by an APR dealer.
There are cases where people flaunted their APR tune at the dealer (APR stickers , or APR intake etc), or who took into in for a service that required some diagnostics with the APR tune still installed.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I you don't like the tune, get your APR dealer to refund you the money in your 30 day window and they will flash back to stock (they keep an 'bit-perfect' image of your ECU) . The ECU is then exactly as per factory and is not going to be flagged TD1. This may start an endless series of posts, but there seems very little evidence of VW flagging a Stg 1 MK 7 with TD1 after being flashed back to stock by an APR dealer.
There are cases where people flaunted their APR tune at the dealer (APR stickers , or APR intake etc), or who took into in for a service that required some diagnostics with the APR tune still installed.

His 30 day window was over by the time you posted that. And it's my understanding that uninstalling a tune will not prevent a TD1 since there is a flash counter which can't be erased.

19STi-19R

Bumping this thread

Flashed my ’19R with APR+ ECU only, no DSG flash, read reviews on APR’s DQ381 tune on other forums and few guys complained about D mode defaulting back to regular shifting pattern after few weeks. In addition to ECU tune also installed BMS pedal tuner and running that on stage 2. Car has no throttle lag, newfound power is welcome and it’s still covered by 6/72 warranty.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Bumping this thread

Flashed my ’19R with APR+ ECU only, no DSG flash, read reviews on APR’s DQ381 tune on other forums and few guys complained about D mode defaulting back to regular shifting pattern after few weeks. In addition to ECU tune also installed BMS pedal tuner and running that on stage 2. Car has no throttle lag, newfound power is welcome and it’s still covered by 6/72 warranty.

I have the BMS pedal tuner and run it at the maximum setting. Even the dealer commented about the fantastic throttle response.

7thVW

Passed Driver's Ed
Bumping this thread

19 GTI with APR+ ECU tune here. Did it at 2K miles. My APR dealer is an avid E30 racer and highly recommended the TCU tune. Believe or not, he recommended the TCU over the ECU tune. Personally, I do not feel a need for the TCU as this is a daily driver. Sport mode (DCC) in manual mode is OK for me. I think you may want to the TCU if you go to stage 2, for clutch pressure. Just remember, your 6/72 is through APR, you need 5K oil changes and any after market parts, other than APR will void it. APR down pipe will void your warranty.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Having driven with the TCU tune for a couple weeks now, it's a nice change. It's winter and I have winter tires on, so I haven't driven in anger, but D is much closer to how I'd drive a manual - keeping revs up above 2k while decelerating for more engine braking and better lower if I want it, and only dropping much lower when I'm noodling around at a constant speed. It's a nice change but takes some getting used to on braking pressure balance since there so much more engine braking!

Sport is a lot more usable but maybe not quite a big enough difference from the D setting. That said, I haven't been able to have a back-roads blast to really test it. Similarly, can't comment on manual shift speed (was already stupid fast, so...)

The display of gear even in auto mode is nice though!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Anyone know if the APR warranty stays in effect with non-APR, non-engine drivetrain parts, e.g. BFI mounts, dogbone insert, or other drivetrain suspension mods?