GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Plus, anyone running it yet?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
My, uh, friend just got the tune this week. Holy cow does it ever wake up the car. Still drives like OEM around town. Thumbs up!

GFL

I haven't been able to locate many, if any, APR Plus Warranty reviews but thought I'd share my experience for anyone interested. Purchased a 2018 Golf R MT in May 2018 - (10 miles). I decided that a little more umph would be perfect. At 8000 miles, I had the APR Plus tune installed. At 10000 miles, I began hearing a loud clunking noise in the right rear of the car any time the car's weight shifted. At 4000 miles, I had previously installed a Superpro rear sway bar and end links. Thinking that it was a suspension issue, I made an appointment with the shop that had installed the mods (NGP - Aberdeen, MD) but had to wait several days. Prior to the appointment, the rear end of the vehicle slid out while negotiating a sharp left turn while operating within the posted speed limit - I drive this same road every day and the car has never reacted that way in the past. Believing that the car may possibly be unsafe, I made an appointment at the dealership. Soon thereafter, I got a call to tell me that the suspension was intact but they suspected a malfunction with the rear differential. I gave them permission to drain the rear dif fluid which revealed metal shavings. The dealership attempted to initiate a warranty claim but was told that a corporate tech would be responding within 10 days to inspect the vehicle. To their credit, the dealership did not scan the car, and told me that it was their experience any time a Golf R presents with a powertrain warranty claim, a corporate tech responds for inspection. I took the car to NGP who diagnosed the same issue. They contacted APR and the process began. APR questioned my driving habits - launching, racing, etc. but were satisfied when NGP explained to them that the car did not appear to be abused and the malfunction was caused by unknown means. It took approximately two (2) weeks for the part to be located, shipped and installed. The only out of pocket expense to me was for a rental car. APR Plus warranty worked in my case.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I haven't been able to locate many, if any, APR Plus Warranty reviews but thought I'd share my experience for anyone interested. Purchased a 2018 Golf R MT in May 2018 - (10 miles). I decided that a little more umph would be perfect. At 8000 miles, I had the APR Plus tune installed. At 10000 miles, I began hearing a loud clunking noise in the right rear of the car any time the car's weight shifted. At 4000 miles, I had previously installed a Superpro rear sway bar and end links. Thinking that it was a suspension issue, I made an appointment with the shop that had installed the mods (NGP - Aberdeen, MD) but had to wait several days. Prior to the appointment, the rear end of the vehicle slid out while negotiating a sharp left turn while operating within the posted speed limit - I drive this same road every day and the car has never reacted that way in the past. Believing that the car may possibly be unsafe, I made an appointment at the dealership. Soon thereafter, I got a call to tell me that the suspension was intact but they suspected a malfunction with the rear differential. I gave them permission to drain the rear dif fluid which revealed metal shavings. The dealership attempted to initiate a warranty claim but was told that a corporate tech would be responding within 10 days to inspect the vehicle. To their credit, the dealership did not scan the car, and told me that it was their experience any time a Golf R presents with a powertrain warranty claim, a corporate tech responds for inspection. I took the car to NGP who diagnosed the same issue. They contacted APR and the process began. APR questioned my driving habits - launching, racing, etc. but were satisfied when NGP explained to them that the car did not appear to be abused and the malfunction was caused by unknown means. It took approximately two (2) weeks for the part to be located, shipped and installed. The only out of pocket expense to me was for a rental car. APR Plus warranty worked in my case.
Did VW or APR pay for it?

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry, another question, did vw ever officially reject it under warranty? Or did you just decide to not wait for them to get somebody out to look at it?

In theory you are not even suppose to bring it to a dealer your suppose to go right to a APR plus shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFL

The only reason I went to the dealership first was I thought it was a suspension issue. I had an appointment at the shop that installed the suspension upgrades but had to wait several days. When the rear end came out while taking a sharp curve, I thought I needed to the car inspected sooner for safety purposes.

natemorin

See, that was my understanding too - dealer first then APR. But after you posted you're not supposed to I went and looked and sure enough, the warranty info document says to your APR licensed shop or to contact them if one is unavailable.

My local VW dealer is the authorized APR dealer so looks like we get one stop shopping. I'm scheduled to get the APR+ tune on next Monday.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My local VW dealer is the authorized APR dealer so looks like we get one stop shopping. I'm scheduled to get the APR+ tune on next Monday.

Does the VW dealer have you sign something with regards to your VW warranty? Seems strange that a VW dealer would sell something that voids your factory warranty.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Why would the VW dealer give 2 shits either way?

Because VWOA wouldn't be too happy that they have a dealer selling performance enhancements that void the warranty. If the dealer didn't advise the customer that the tune would void the warranty it would be very difficult to TD1 the customer's car.