Car(s)
2017 Golf R
maybe read the paperwork???

giphy (5).gif

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
A tune doesn't void your warranty.

VW can deny a claim if they believe it
was caused by your modifications. If you believe that it didn't, you'd have to take legal action.

VW certainly has the upper hand in that equation, but you're warranty is never voided. APR is just a secondary warranty.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A tune doesn't void your warranty.

VW can deny a claim if they believe it
was caused by your modifications. If you believe that it didn't, you'd have to take legal action.

VW certainly has the upper hand in that equation, but you're warranty is never voided. APR is just a secondary warranty.

I thought if VW TD1's your car it voids the powertrain warranty.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@Crild if you’re referring to MM Act requirements it doesnt apply here. Nothing in there related to modifying ecu/parts out of oem specs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
nope. it gives them the ability to deny warranty work but technically they have to prove it caused the problem....but good luck with that.

It's more like you have to prove the mod wasn't the problem and the deck is stacked in VW's favor because it will cost to much to try and prove it in court.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I thought if VW TD1's your car it voids the powertrain warranty.

It does not. TD1 means you've modded your car and the warranty work won't be approved if the failure is mod related.

For instance, VW has replaced water pumps on some TD1 flagged cars.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
What does a water pump have to do w powertrain warranty?

Ever heard of anyone getting a powertrain claim repair/replaced under warranty while td1? Clutch, tranny, engine, that sorta thing.

Last edited:

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

Ever heard of anyone getting a powertrain claim repair/replaced under warranty while td1? Clutch, tranny, engine, that sorta thing.
Extremely rare that sort of thing happens when it's not related to a timing chain or something like that which is a known failure point. Either way tuning the car means you acknowledge if anything happens you'll end up paying out of pocket to fix/replace engine/trans/haldex.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Extremely rare that a water pump fails unless timing chain related? Is that what i hear you saying? I agree w the rest though.

Ever heard of anyone w a td1 and this known chain failure who had it replaced under warranty? Genuine question.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was thinking about doing APR+, but it sounds like they would deny the warranty if I accidentally track the car monthly.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

The water pump is part of your powertrain warranty. Is this a trick question?

I haven't seen an single person posting in the water pump leaking thread complain of a timing chain failure.

Did someone pass out some crack and leave me out?