GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change Dilemma-Question(s)

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Thanks for this. I searched all over to find mobile 1 with 502 a year or two ago and couldn't get it anywhere (found the right weight, but no stamp on it). Can I ask where you got it?

Mobil 1 0w40 European spec. Meets VW 502 spec. You can buy it an auto parts store or Wallyworld. The spec is written on the back of the jug.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
at walmart....goes on sale with rebate in spring. ball park of $15 5 qt jug. I trust someone will post up a heads up when it does.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Ah, 0W40. I stick to 5W40. I don't think it's a major difference, especially in colder climates where it probably helps, but I prefer to stay with the oil weight in the manual for my car. Even local parts stores don't have 5W40 with the stamp, I always have to buy online. Maybe I just live in a bad area for it?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The verbiage in the manual is subject to interpretation. It has words to the effect of 'your engine was filled from the factory with either 5w30 or 5w40, which funnily enough are the widely available vw502 spec weights carried by their preferred partner castrol. It however then goes on to say that anything with the 502 spec is fine, and under the hood there is the sticker which talks of VW specs not specific weights.

So it's the spec that's important in the eyes of VW not the weight - in my view i'd not be stuck on 5w30 or 5w40 if you can get a storming deal on 0w40. If you are worried about warranty, don't be as long as whatever you use is fully certified to meet the VW spec.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ah, 0W40. I stick to 5W40. I don't think it's a major difference, especially in colder climates where it probably helps, but I prefer to stay with the oil weight in the manual for my car. Even local parts stores don't have 5W40 with the stamp, I always have to buy online. Maybe I just live in a bad area for it?

Weight is trumped by approval for VAG vehicles i.e. VW502 00 is the hurdle you should worry about. 0W40 oils have higher quality (read "more synthetic") base stocks than 5W40 oils. Most of the 5W40 oils are primarily Group 3 and are called "synthetic" here in the U.S. but are honestly more of a "syn blend" - in some Euro countries they can't be labeled as "synthetic". The more Group 4/5 base stock (PAO) the more of a true synthetic oil you are getting (honestly...it probalby doesn't matter much anyway...again...approval tells you more than anything). Castrol makes a 5W40 with the VW502 00 approval that is commonly available at Walmart as well as an 0W40. Don't get hung up on the weight...Finally, VW502 00 is the "approval"...not the spec. Oil has specs and VW has a set of specs that once met, allow it a received an "approval". I know...nerd stuff but I've geeked out a lot on it. www.bobistheoilguy.com

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I bought a Topsider oil changer & man did that thing not suck. Back to Amazon it went. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good top side changer. No shop air so it needs to be a hand pump variety.

I'm slightly older than the OP, but would like to continue doing oil changes myself as long as I can.

The Topsider is the biggest piece of shit and the company who makes it is also a big piece of shit.

Buy any of the ones from Ebay or amazon that aren't the topsider. Get at least 6.5L capacity.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Fluid-...717024?hash=item3fcedfdc20:g:hf4AAOSwXetcuDGh
Also ECS tuning has theirs on sale so I'd probably just do that even though I dislike ECS.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/65-liter-fluid-extractor/011885sch01a/

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
That's the bottom line, exactly what my plan is moving forward. Hopefully Electric Eye is close enough to where I live to help me out if needed :)

I'm in Manalapan and take my car to World VW in Neptune for dealer service and occasionally Island Sport Works (a VW, Porsche, Audi shop) in Point Pleasant for other things.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Along with a substantial payment to be 'approved' as I understand it...

Yep - that's why some oils say "recommended for vehicles requires XYZ approval" but don't actually have it. Folks lose their minds w/r to warranty bits in this discussion but honestly, lubrication-related failures are rare and the likelihood of having to produce records AND having VW say "sorry, you used XYZ oil" are very rare. Still, I use oils on their approved list...no reason not too.