GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change Dilemma-Question(s)

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Oh man I've seen that take place. You want to talk about intensive

Yeah, I believe it costs $36K for an oil change because it's labor intensive. They have to remove the rear wheels and brakes, the underbelly on the rear bumber, and 16 drain plugs. It's insane how much it costs to maintain a Bugatti.

Last edited:

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
This thread is starting to sound like shilling via social media.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
After reading this whole thread, I think what confuses me is that the OP is so anal about everything but was totally cool with putting non-VW502 spec oil in his car (unless mobil 1 got 502 or 504 certified recently?). I'm not going to get into a debate about oil, but just surprised that if you're that particular about everything else, that that isn't a deal breaker.

Honest advice here, if the dealer only charges $59 for a change with OEM parts and oil, just keep taking it there. You can't really get the OEM oil, filter, o-ring and plug for much less than $50 if you're doing it yourself, so for the $10 or so you're actually paying for labor, just keep taking it there if you're happy with the service thus far. I switched to an extractor and love it but it really has more to do with the fact that I enjoy doing the work and don't trust my local service department to do things correctly; it really doesn't save me much, if any money.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I bought a Topsider oil changer & man did that thing not suck. Back to Amazon it went. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good top side changer. No shop air so it needs to be a hand pump variety.

I'm slightly older than the OP, but would like to continue doing oil changes myself as long as I can.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Yeah, I believe it costs $36K for an oil change because it's labor intensive. They have to remove the rear wheels and brakes, the underbelly on the rear number, and 16 drain plugs. It's insane how much it costs to maintain a Bugatti.

That is literally the definition of pay-to-play. Holy crap

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I bought a Topsider oil changer & man did that thing not suck. Back to Amazon it went. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good top side changer. No shop air so it needs to be a hand pump variety.

I'm slightly older than the OP, but would like to continue doing oil changes myself as long as I can.
I use a mityvac.

joeblonewjersey

Ready to race!
After reading this whole thread, I think what confuses me is that the OP is so anal about everything but was totally cool with putting non-VW502 spec oil in his car (unless mobil 1 got 502 or 504 certified recently?). I'm not going to get into a debate about oil, but just surprised that if you're that particular about everything else, that that isn't a deal breaker.

Honest advice here, if the dealer only charges $59 for a change with OEM parts and oil, just keep taking it there. You can't really get the OEM oil, filter, o-ring and plug for much less than $50 if you're doing it yourself, so for the $10 or so you're actually paying for labor, just keep taking it there if you're happy with the service thus far. I switched to an extractor and love it but it really has more to do with the fact that I enjoy doing the work and don't trust my local service department to do things correctly; it really doesn't save me much, if any money.

That's the bottom line, exactly what my plan is moving forward. Hopefully Electric Eye is close enough to where I live to help me out if needed :)

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Yes...M1 0W40 has the VW502 00 approval (among others)...has for a long time and is a v. high quality oil.

joeblonewjersey

Ready to race!
Anal Joe here....if the manufacturer specifies a particular version and uses "spec A" or "spec B", it's their warranty they are screwing with, if I read your statement correctly. I apologize I did know nothing about 502 or 504, I just know synthetic Castrol is what they use and Mobil 1 was one of the first manufacturers. Please educate me, apologize for my ignorance.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Anal Joe here....if the manufacturer specifies a particular version and uses "spec A" or "spec B", it's their warranty they are screwing with, if I read your statement correctly. I apologize I did know nothing about 502 or 504, I just know synthetic Castrol is what they use and Mobil 1 was one of the first manufacturers. Please educate me, apologize for my ignorance.

Short version is that it's a required minimum specification for oil performance that VAG group put together to ensure the oil will protect their engines. Oil companies have to perform testing and get certified to put the stamp on their oil. It doesn't mean non-502 oil is necessary bad or inferior, only that it's not certified. It could in theory also be crappy oil, but you don't know, which is the whole point of the certification. Yes, VW says to use it to preserve warranty, but I won't wade into the "how will they know?" debate.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Yes...M1 0W40 has the VW502 00 approval (among others)...has for a long time and is a v. high quality oil.

Thanks for this. I searched all over to find mobile 1 with 502 a year or two ago and couldn't get it anywhere (found the right weight, but no stamp on it). Can I ask where you got it?