GOLFMKV

Oil Change Dilemma-Question(s)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I don't blame the OP for being paranoid. In my experience, I have never had (or VERY rarely had) a mechanic do a "careful" job. They always seem to screw something up. I don't mind if they screw up small fixable things, but if they damage the paint, that's serious.
In order to work around this, I just do all the maintenance on the cars that I care about. I bought a lift so I can work like a gentleman. I HIGHLY recommend this route if you love your car, have the ability, and enjoy doing it!
Garage.JPG

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I don't blame the OP for being paranoid. In my experience, I have never had (or VERY rarely had) a mechanic do a "careful" job. They always seem to screw something up. I don't mind if they screw up small fixable things, but if they damage the paint, that's serious.
In order to work around this, I just do all the maintenance on the cars that I care about. I bought a lift so I can work like a gentleman. I HIGHLY recommend this route if you love your car, have the ability, and enjoy doing it!View attachment 161212

I can get a lot of oil changes for that kind of money.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I figured, I would also add this photo, so you guys can see that the OP is not the only anal person here. This is how I prepped my car, when I needed to take it for service for something that I couldn't handle. The funny part is that the mechanic appreciated it because it was safer, and less chance of him scuffing the leather sills, door panel, etc. I don't have the car any more, but the new owner is definitely happy that I was that way, and he is the same, lol.
Protection.JPG

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I can get a lot of oil changes for that kind of money.

Quality, not quantity, lol. If I didn't enjoy doing it myself, that would also be different.
If I had to work at the dealership, I would get fired in a day, lol. I would be too slow. I take my time, cover everything, change my gloves constantly (as they get dirty), I torque every bolt that has a torque value in the shop manual. I clean everything I take apart, etc. The problem with that is that I have a line of equally anal friends asking to do a "tech day", lol. I don't mind thankfully

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I would do the same thing if I had a Ferrari.
See that's where I'm strange. It doesn't matter which car it is for me, I always do my best. I treat my GTI, the same as any other cars I've owned. They are all special to me!
All that said, My daughters cars always go to the dealer, because they really don't care about them the way I do. For them, it's just transportation. A mark here or there, means nothing to them, so I'll spend my time on my cars instead :)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Quality, not quantity, lol. If I didn't enjoy doing it myself, that would also be different.
If I had to work at the dealership, I would get fired in a day, lol. I would be too slow. I take my time, cover everything, change my gloves constantly (as they get dirty), I torque every bolt that has a torque value in the shop manual. I clean everything I take apart, etc. The problem with that is that I have a line of equally anal friends asking to do a "tech day", lol. I don't mind thankfully

I think you just wanted to show off your garage.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I think you just wanted to show off your garage.
Haha, you caught me! lol
All kidding aside, I actually am proud of it since it was a dream of mine, and I did all the work myself.