GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Leak Under Warranty with Tune

cb1111

VW should send someone out to look at the car. A TD1 does not automatically void your warranty. I know someone that works for VWoA. He's one of the guys that VW sends out to evaluate the cars to see if they will warranty. He told me that they need to prove that the tune caused the part to fail. They can't just flat out deny you warranty just because you have a tune.
I guess you didn't read my post (#24)

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
People continuously not understanding that VW doesn't need to prove anything other than:

You've violated the warranty agreement by tuning the car.

^ this.

Your service advisor will call you and let you know the repair won’t be covered under warranty due to TD1 or decline by VWoA.

They will tell you the quote... if you don’t want to pay you will have to pay any fees and come and have your car towed out. If you don’t do this in a timely manner they will start charging you a storage fee, per day.

VW doesn’t have to prove anything at this point.

You will have to hire an attorney to force the to do anything else... that will take years and thousands of dollars.

cb1111

If you had actually read the page, they will recognize Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act issue by the FTC.
You obviously haven't read the Act.

All that aside, what do you think happens if a manufacturer actually violates the Act and improperly denies warranty coverage?

cb1111

^ this.

Your service advisor will call you and let you know the repair won’t be covered under warranty due to TD1 or decline by VWoA.

They will tell you the quote... if you don’t want to pay you will have to pay any fees and come and have your car towed out. If you don’t do this in a timely manner they will start charging you a storage fee, per day.

VW doesn’t have to prove anything at this point.

You will have to hire an attorney to force the to do anything else... that will take years and thousands of dollars.
Sheesh, you don't get it. If a manufacturer denies a warranty claim, then all you have to say the four magic words "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" and the dealer will roll over and play dead.

If that doesn't work, then all you have to do is call Magnuson or Moss and they'll send the Feds in on white horses to fight for you.

At least that is what the aftermarket industry wants you to think. Reality is a bit different.

Dealer denies warranty coverage because you have a performance part that caused or contributed to the failure

VW backs up dealer

You either pay for the fix, drag the car out of there or let it sit while you sue. (just like XM said)

Most likely, you'll sue in small claims court. VW feels pretty strongly about this because they backed the dealer, so they'll have expert witnesses and lawyers. You'll have your uncle Joe, who does real estate closings.

The judge is used to dealing with upset neighbors and VW will have all sorts of charts, data and experts talking about technical stuff. You'll say "but, but, but the MM Act..."

The judge's eyes will glaze over and you'll have lost.

Now you've got to get your car fixed AND pay your lawyer and costs.

Shook187

Some of the comments here are laughable..

Let's first start off by no one's going to need to hire a lawyer as a lot of these things can be settled in small claims since majority of repairs will be under $5,000.

With that said if you do end up in small claims you can easily direct a court mediator to the Moss Warranty Act which is an actual Act and law that has to be followed and if it does make it to a judge he has to go by the laws that are in palced.

But in the other hand if you do suffer engine and or transmission failure and you are tuned, you on your own there as even the Moss Warranty Act can't save you. Butt getting smaller non Powertrain or electrical warranty stuff should and will be on there eventually

With that said I'm tune and take a chance that a rare catastrophic engine/transmission failure wont take place.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
There's two extreme opinions here: cover nothing, and cover everything.

In actual fact, it falls somewhere in the middle. The most expensive failures are what we most want covered, and they are the least likely to be covered.

Most important thing to keep on mind: Dealership service departments want you to maintain a factory warranty. Full warranty cars bring them business for everyone little squeak and rattle. Non warranty cars might not show up until there's a fire.

Servicing major failures and billing VWOA is a dealership service depts best case scenario for profitability. They're incentivized to receive cars that need repairs, which is why they started selling aftermarket software, and tuned them aggressively... which is why VWOA started encrypting and keeping track of the number of times a particular vin's ecu has been flashed.

Stasis tunes for audi were literally sold as "Tuned with full warranty so long as it is maintained by the dealership you bought your car from. A one stop solution. RS line performance at 1/10th the cost to you" etc etc. VWOA found out about it by just analyzing anomolous patterns of part failures, and googling dealership names. Vw/audi implemented the same ecu flash count program that BMW had.

VW won't cover major failures without a scan. If it's something that went wrong with the OE equipment, then they can learn lessons and fix manufacturing processes to waste less money in the future. If you've altered the parameters of how the OE equipment operates, there's nothing for VW to learn. You know better what software to run on the car, so obviously you know better how to repair it.

If it's a "push comes to shove" scenario, you just can't push as hard as the largest auto maker's legal team, and it's laughable to think they'd let you.

You will not wind up as aftermarket software's Rosa Parks of warranty coverage.

Pay to play. That's the system we have now.

Fuck the system. BMS JB4. (marketing gold, right there)

But anyway, dramatic word walls aside.... Don't chip the car before knowing you're going in for anything that could potentially be a major warranty repair.

That's like taking your driving test immediately after taking a half shot of scotch while wearing a "Fuck the DMV and their teet suckling commie labor union" t-shirt. While it doesn't technically mean you won't pass, it actually definitely means you won't pass. Lol.

Only losers use Tapatalk

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I'd bet the fans of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act are all people who aren't driving in a vehicle, but in fact travelling within a means of personal conveyance.

In that case too, you're just going to get your window broken and tazed by the cops.

https://youtu.be/KI8GjrtW1vM

Am I being detained? Have you heard of Magnusson Moss? Under what law? I am not a citizen of that state, and I do not consent to your TD1 scan. I need to speak to a Supervisor. I pay for your salary when I bought this car! You work for me!

(Snap! Tikkatikkatikkatikkatikkatikkatikkazzzzt) Warranty claim denied.

Only losers use Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Yet I brought a big turbo car in for a $1300 oil leak repair and VW approved it in a few hours, despite the dealer doing everything possible to get it denied (like sending pics of mods, turbo, etc).

Unrelated is unrelated, internet fear mongering is internet fear mongering.

cb1111

You've got to feel sorry for the guys trying to deal with the sovereign citizen whackadoodles. Not sure why the first cop gave her his business card because that'll just get him tied up in court for years trying to get his life back.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Not been my experience. Out of warranty pays better.

Ok, fine. We have the exception. Fixing Diggs' wrench abortions is profitable too. Lol.

Yet I brought a big turbo car in for a $1300 oil leak repair and VW approved it in a few hours, despite the dealer doing everything possible to get it denied (like sending pics of mods, turbo, etc).

Unrelated is unrelated, internet fear mongering is internet fear mongering.

Nah, definitely related. If I were gambler, I'd bet VW was definitely trying to get out of it, and asking the dealership for specific pics. When you were up front and told them you coded your BT car yourself, they probably demanded the dealer try to find a way to blame your work, which they failed at.

Only losers use Tapatalk

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
You've got to feel sorry for the guys trying to deal with the sovereign citizen whackadoodles.

lololol. Look like a couple winners.

Lol! I know right? If I wore a badge in an area with these champions, I don't think I'd be able to stop pulling them over.

I'd go through so many tasers each month, though.

Only losers use Tapatalk

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
but.. but... but my son has to poop