GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see how long my stock motor puts up with this nonsense...

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Any plans for the future for the dsg? Maybe upgraded gears? Have the dq381 gears proven to be stronger yet?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Not really. Hoping to keep it in one piece for now.

vegatune

Passed Driver's Ed
The FBO GTR’s that are running 9’s are being pushed hard and making closer to 700. They also are not full weight and they do hook very well. My golf is making almost 100hp less, has much less torque, and doesn’t cut the best 60’s. Highly unlikely we’ll see 9’s at this power level and weight. Maybe with a 50 shot ;)

— Ed

A friend of mine has a 2012 gtr with nismo turbos which they still considered stock turbo in that class. He ran 9.40 @ 147 with seats removed and one carbon fiber seat. He broke the record last year with that pass not sure if he still holds the record. But the motors is built so is his transmission big money. I don’t think people realize that gtr transmission start to give out around 650 tq and you got to drop 30 grand to build it and that’s middle of the road builds.

_Dejan_

Passed Driver's Ed
Any plans for the future for the dsg? Maybe upgraded gears? Have the dq381 gears proven to be stronger yet?

DQ250 is strong enough :)

Attachments

• 71721538_10220606539824182_2748595807480446976_n.jpg
    71721538_10220606539824182_2748595807480446976_n.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,027

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
hahah...that guy is nuts. I also think his car probably weighs 1800lbs and launches on real slicks which can be softer on the driveline. but crazy impressive.

Nodnarb

Passed Driver's Ed
Mk 7 R is around 550lbs heavier than the listed weight of the Boba golf.. Plenty of big turbo guys have shredded 4th in the DQ250 at 500+wtq.

So whats the solution? I’m going that route.
Keep the torque low or send it and cross my fingers?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Have a plan to upgrade the DQ250 if it pops, or to move to a DQ381 or DQ500.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

ImolaSix

So whats the solution? I’m going that route.

Keep the torque low or send it and cross my fingers?
There's a company called ffe that just started making upgraded gears for the dq250. Have yet to see any videos of people running them however. Not cheap either but compared to what's involved in a dq500 swap it's a bargain.

Not sure about the dq381 limits yet. The clutches are larger diameter than the 250 but the gears actually being stronger is not confirmed as far as I know.

Nodnarb

Passed Driver's Ed
There's a company called ffe that just started making upgraded gears for the dq250. Have yet to see any videos of people running them however. Not cheap either but compared to what's involved in a dq500 swap it's a bargain.

Not sure about the dq381 limits yet. The clutches are larger diameter than the 250 but the gears actually being stronger is not confirmed as far as I know.

Thanks!

vegatune

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m not too familiar with vw but I had a mid 700whp Evo 8 with a 6266 and currently have a 900whp 1g talon. The weakest gear are always 3rd or 4th. I know with the Mitsubishi it’s not gear it self but the design. Once you start making big power on helical gears they will push apart by the nature of the design and the transmission casing will also start to flex a little. All those things combined will cause the gears to deflect and have less contact. Pretty much somebody is going have to make straight cut gears

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
If you're truly looking to build a bulletproof MK7R with 600+hp and 500 ftlbs of torque, you should just start assembling parts for a DQ500 and find a shop/tuner that can do the software. If you're okay with having a backup DQ250 in your garage for the inevitable failure, then thats another completely reasonable option.

Not saying at DQ250 is a time bomb or that you can't build a DQ250 to handle bigger power, but you're still at the mercy of parts (like the case, diff size, shaft sizes) that you can't easily upgrade.

With a TVS clutch upgrade and software on a DQ500, you're looking at 700+ ft lbs of torque holding:
https://www.ecodetuning.com/tvs-dsg-500-racing-clutch.html

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If you want 500+wtq or 600+whp, this becomes a very unappealing platform.

These cars are good value up until you get to stock motor limits, at which point other platforms begin to make a lot more sense IMO.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
...currently have a 900whp 1g talon.

This right here is the mark of a man who knows thing or two about replacing transmissions.

Pretty much somebody is going have to make straight cut gears

Totally unaware on this- has such a gearset been successfully installed in other small displacement vag DSG models as yet?

I do know from driver Andrew Cordiero back in the day that the TDI cup cars had custom manufactured DSG transmissions, but they just used ratios from TDIs as well as R32 gearbox ratios, but not straight cut gears. (but of course there was somewhat limited peak tq put through those trannys as they were a part of series racing)

Have there been straight cut DSG gears made on earlier models?

...These cars are good value up until you get to stock motor limits....

Yeah, this is true of pretty much every modern model. Your ROI plummets when you put toes on the limit of opening the engine up. Kudos to Ed for actively finding exactly where that is, for sure.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
If you want 500+wtq or 600+whp, this becomes a very unappealing platform.

These cars are good value up until you get to stock motor limits, at which point other platforms begin to make a lot more sense IMO.

I think you can add "+ reliability" to that want. Unless your bank account is limitless, a built motor and clutch pack upgrade isn't cheap but should keep you pretty safe for a long time at Ed's power levels. Beyond that, you're well beyond 200% power from stock, and that's asking a lot of any platform.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
But then you're just a metoo.

I bought an RS3. metoo
I gutted a honda civic and motor swapped it. metoo
I gave up and bought a Mustang. metoo

boring

I commend you 500+whp MK7 warriors. No it's not the smartest or cheapest, but it's different and not heavily tread path. I find it more impressive than the metoos, especially if you do a lot yourself.
Right on.