GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see how long my stock motor puts up with this nonsense...

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Yep, this is also a very valid outlook on the Golf R: For just a couple grand in parts, these grocery getting hypermiling snow crushing hatchbacks outperform in the summer everything that Lamborghini made before the 2010s.

Again, Kudos to those willing to push and discover the limits of the various parts of the platform for all of our benefit.

probably more than a couple of grand;) Fueling alone to hit 600whp is going to run you at least $2-3k.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
probably more than a couple of grand;) Fueling alone to hit 600whp is going to run you at least $2-3k.

0-60, FWIW....
1986 Lamborghini Countach 5.1 seconds
2001 Lamborghini Diablo VT 4.2 seconds
2011 Lamborghini Gallardo LP550 3.3 seconds
2011 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670 4wd 3.2 seconds

Quite a few Rs in that 3.2X range. Will be fun to see the final Dragy times for Ed's fully sent R.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
0-60, FWIW....

Quite a few Rs in that 3.2X range. Will be fun to see the final Dragy times for Ed's fully sent R.

This is on my old tune (~515 whp) with 340 treadwear tires, full weight, subwoofer, dual air compressor air ride system on the street. With 1-ft roll out they are all under 3 secs. I've seen similar powered cars run 2.9 (2.7 with 1ft roll out) on the track.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
0-60, FWIW....

0-60 metrics aren't going to be an R's strong suit really, thats more about traction and how close to catastrophic you can edge your launch to.

But his real point was your "few thousand dollars" is equivalent to a "small loan of 1 million dollars". I'd say if you really budgeted and only spent money on making a 10 second car, $10k is the "few thousand dollars" you'd need. That should cover a turbo, DP, IC, fueling, tuning, tires, maybe a few little suspension mods, fluids, and a helmet.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Always have to wear a helmet, so I'm good there.

Only losers use Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
0-60 metrics aren't going to be an R's strong suit really, thats more about traction and how close to catastrophic you can edge your launch to.

But his real point was your "few thousand dollars" is equivalent to a "small loan of 1 million dollars". I'd say if you really budgeted and only spent money on making a 10 second car, $10k is the "few thousand dollars" you'd need. That should cover a turbo, DP, IC, fueling, tuning, tires, maybe a few little suspension mods, fluids, and a helmet.

And that 10K is probably with a lot of the labor done by the owner. More like 15K if paying for all that stuff installed. Could easily be 4K just for the turbo and install depending on what turbo was used.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ed do you know of any shop in Phoenix with a dyno that I could get a tune from you?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
^^^^
I know a shop with a dyno that I could ask if their dyno charge isn't ridiculous. What do you charge for the tune? And how long does it take?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
^^^^
Thanks I'll ask the shop what they would charge for 3 hours of dyno use.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And make sure they have good cooling system not just some small shitty fans. Local tuner here in Sweden with a dynocell that simulates the air speed(up to 40m3/s) rents out for 125/h or 400 per half day.

The shop that I plan on asking does have good fans. I had my car dynoed there. I just don't know if they're willing to rent dyno time to someone they probably consider a competitor since they are an APR dealer.