GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The inside of my golf is extremely wet and I’m in panic mode...

bluesforchallah

Passed Driver's Ed
I had an issue with water getting into my Mk1 GTI years ago; so much water, it would slosh around and flow from the front passenger side to the rear passenger side and back again; I'm talking puddles. I'd have to get a wet/dry shop vac to vacuum all the water out. Went on this way for months until I finally decided to investigate where the water was coming from. Turns out, the drain holes under the hood were plugged up with pine/fur needles preventing the water from being able drain, leaving the water to find the path of least resistance; which happened to be thru the fan unit and into the cabin of the vehicle. Cleared the debris from the drain holes = No more water in the cabin.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
yeah im willing to bet it is something like that... there is a drain somewhere on the passenger side upper hood that is clogged... i just dont know where the drain passages are...

currently the car is in a garage all opened up with the carpet peeled back as much as possible without removing the seat and has a fan on the front space and on the rear space... itll be two full days of fans on it by the time i pick it up tomorrow...

cb1111

yeah im willing to bet it is something like that... there is a drain somewhere on the passenger side upper hood that is clogged... i just dont know where the drain passages are...

currently the car is in a garage all opened up with the carpet peeled back as much as possible without removing the seat and has a fan on the front space and on the rear space... itll be two full days of fans on it by the time i pick it up tomorrow...
Most blocked passages are pretty obvious. Pop your hood and look for leaves or other debris.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Good start. It's never too early to get it drying out. Keep us updated - this information could help us all in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mkygod

Ready to race!
Don't know if this is a good idea or not, but you can get packs of color changing dessicant gels and put them around areas of your car. Which ever pack changes color the quickest can help pinpoint the area where moisture is getting through. Just a thought.

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
The way I check seals for leaks (on newer vehicles that still have most of their seals intact):

1) Fill a squirt bottle with 25/75 dishsoap/water

2) Start the vehicle and turn the blower motor on full (not MAX AC, it has to be drawing fresh air not on Recirc)

3) Close all the windows and doors (the cab will now have a bit of positive pressure)

4) Spray the exterior of all the window/door seals and look for bubbles

5) Profit

Advantage of this method is on vehicles with a larger leak (like OP) you don't have to strip and/or re-dry the entire interior to find the leak and it's a shitload faster. Just remember to fix the leak before washing the soap off...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Most blocked passages are pretty obvious. Pop your hood and look for leaves or other debris.

yeah there isnt anything obvious i can see... i'll do some more digging today...

the other thing im reading is that the AC condensate drain hose can cause water issues... but I havent been using the AC much as best as i can remember...

also going to take the glove box apart and look at the cabin filter...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Advantage of this method is on vehicles with a larger leak (like OP) you don't have to strip and/or re-dry the entire interior to find the leak and it's a shitload faster. Just remember to fix the leak before washing the soap off...

thats a great idea if it is indeed a seal issue... with the amount of water im not sure its just a seal

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I don’t think it’s the door seals but I’ll check. Will also look for water in spare tire well.

Took out the cabin filter today and it was dry. As was the AC condensation tube...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Hi,
Get the seals inside the doors (behind the doorcards) checked.
My rear door ones leaked like a tap....fixed under warranty.

Did you have/notice water on the sills? I have not...

fatnslow1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm talking about the seals inside the door itself. Remove the door card and the seal is behind there.
When the door was closed, there was water coming in over the inner sill and down onto the carpet.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
after doing some more investigating yesterday, i think the issue is water coming in from below... from where the floor starts to slant, it is dry and the padding that rests on that area is dry. The padding material is damp at the start of the flat portion of the floor...

i need to get the car up on a lift, take out the wheel well liner and a few other panels in order to investigate further...

Cecil

My rear doors leaked and was fixed under warranty. I believe it was where the speakers seal with the door. Maybe worth checking.