GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown turbo on stg 2 OTS map ending with TD1

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
i feel so sad for you... Do you happen to know what revision the turbo was? I know you had a 2016 model but I'm wondering if it was a late 2015 revision turbo that was in your car

The late 2015 revision turbos are the 722G. I thought those were considered the first batch of “good” ones, no?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
That sucks. Altitude seems to be really hard on tuned turbos.

I think this plays an important role and is overlooked at in this situation...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie
The one I just sold off my 2016 was a revL

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
ED tool can and I know a few on MK7 pass. Can't speak for uni, UM or APR though.

There are enough ED guys with TD1.

Here is a Cobb guy too. I can recall one or two other instances as well.

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Anywho finally made it back home after 500 miles of not fun and need to take stock in tuning...again. I’ve been in the GTI game over and over and will be back, hovering. Shout out to Atlantadad, Diggs and Demigod - your my peoples.
Sorry they had to do it to you. Peace brother

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

HicBuda

Ready to race!
'Level of severity' played a part. I received an email/link/video from the technician looking at the car that had a huge yellow banner that said MODERATE SEVERITY sitting right beside the video. As the video went on, and I wretched, the tech showed the metal bits and oil all over the piping saying he found misfires on one cylinder due to oil. He had to consult 'VW help line' (or something like that) twice. Followed that saying the next inspection point was the exhaust side of turbo. That lead to the boroscope and the murder scene that was the cat honeycomb in the DP. Day after the video and some Pepto, on the long trip back to dealer to put OEM parts back to stock I got the notification there would be no coverage.

So many variations between any two "visits" to the dealer make it necessary to aggregate data from many outcomes that are categorically similar in scope (i.e. blown turbo, snapped drive line bits, sensor failures etc.) to make a sweeping generalization that someone might read as definitely no risk in flash-tuning my car as long as I can unmarry it prior to dealership encounter.

NUTSHELL: There is likely as huge difference in a scan for some little sensor versus the systematic inspection of the entire engine where there are multiple fail codes and required referrals to VW for further action.

HicBuda

Ready to race!
So is the motor gone too or just turbo took out cat?
The tech said the engine was good after looking at it. The turbo took out cat and flooded oil through system contaminating everything down stream like intercooler, intake manifold, engine. Not sure what else. Last I saw before trading in was a car with it's guts in it's hatch
. I took the intercooler, as there was just oil contamination. Gotta figure out where to get a chem bath for it.

Craigslisted the Cobb tuner and CTS turbo inlet for 500

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
The tech said the engine was good after looking at it. The turbo took out cat and flooded oil through system contaminating everything down stream like intercooler, intake manifold, engine. Not sure what else. Last I saw before trading in was a car with it's guts in it's hatch
. I took the intercooler, as there was just oil contamination. Gotta figure out where to get a chem bath for it.

Craigslisted the Cobb tuner and CTS turbo inlet for 500

None of my business if you want to say so, but what did you manage to salvage as far as cost on the trade?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
On another note, are these is20 turbos just not very good? Should one be looking at Borg Warner based turbos if they were planning to upgrade (I'm not, but just asking).

HicBuda

Ready to race!
None of my business if you want to say so, but what did you manage to salvage as far as cost on the trade?

This was the most painful part of being 300 miles from my turf. Made out with intercooler, AFE panel filter, Cobb tuner, little Darth Vader tie-fighter model VW First-aid kit, trunk organizer blocks. Tried to get S2T paddles but no forceps or needle nose. I nauseatingly noticed how sweet a GTI looks lowered just right from the back for about 5 minutes and commited that to memory. Nothing I could do about the f*cking suspension i just put on there or the Neuspeed wheels. Thank Darwin I didn't put the TTRS brakes on!

Edit: I just noticed you meant dollar value of trade-in. After some negotiating final price, I think trade in was about 15.5k (initially offer was like 12k) as-is.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
On another note, are these is20 turbos just not very good? Should one be looking at Borg Warner based turbos if they were planning to upgrade (I'm not, but just asking).

Both OEM IS38 and IS20 can have shaft play / failure