GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown turbo on stg 2 OTS map ending with TD1

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
So what did you do with your car, did you trade it in for the S3?

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
How many miles on the tune?

Also did you uninstall the Cobb AP before bringing the car to the dealer?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
How many miles on the tune?

Also did you uninstall the Cobb AP before bringing the car to the dealer?
Uninstalling it wouldn't have mattered, it still would have popped td1

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Uninstalling it wouldn't have mattered, it still would have popped td1

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I’m familiar with the TD1 process but wanted to ask the question anyhow.

Here is a forum member who uninstalled their Cobb AP and had a blown turbo covered under warranty.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=471420&postcount=1298

If it would show a TD1 on that persons car, I can guarantee a dealer would not warranty it because it would come out of their pocket.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long

Here is a forum member who uninstalled their Cobb AP and had a blown turbo covered under warranty.

If it would show a TD1 on that persons car, I can guarantee a dealer would not warranty it because it would come out of their pocket.

He did have a 2014 build date GTI, it could be that VW is covering those early revision turbo failures. If I remember correctly, there’s a few others here that had their turbo/engine failure covered by VW even though they were tuned.

TnGTI

I think pulling the tune and taking off the downpipe might have been a different story. Of course they are going to send a tuned car's file to VW. That's why I don't go to stage 2. Run the risk of not being able to remove the hard parts before a trip to the dealer. And it's only like 15hp.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I think pulling the tune and taking off the downpipe might have been a different story. Of course they are going to send a tuned car's file to VW. That's why I don't go to stage 2. Run the risk of not being able to remove the hard parts before a trip to the dealer. And it's only like 15hp.

No. The program they hook up automatically sends the information to vw. Makes not a bit of difference if you took it all off.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Op, what was the build date on the GTI? Bottom line, we really do not see many turbo failures overall past 2015. Sorry about ur luck.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I really trust the engines in general. But after the turbo shit the bed or possibly worse and any future events involving turbo or engine no being covered I don’t want to risk more losses on this particular car.

I got rid of my mk6 and took a loss on it, but I just physically cannot work on cars anymore... too many injuries. I then really put in a lot of research on the mk7, and aside from the early turbo issues, I could find very little suggesting that the car would not hold up well. DAP actually said it was likely the most solid platform thus far. Of course this is the very reason I don't really want to get into the modding process for a while.

Navi

Autocross Champion
damn.. these turbos... wonder if it had anything to do with the MAP tune? I had it for about a month and it was strong but I was getting knock like a mother fucker and the power seemed pretty peaky. Ended up going etuned because I didn’t want to worry about any future issues. Curious if it was that? Someone give me $150,000 so I can test a bunch of GTI’s with a bunch of different tunes so that I can get to the bottom of this. :cool:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

A guy on the facebook page had TD1 after uninstall. The moment the port is opened to write to the ECU its game over.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
How is it that some people with blown turbos are getting covered under warranty after being tuned? If the process is to plug in and check for TD1, are some dealers not plugging into the OBDII port?

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear about this OP. That’s a sick feeling to see $moke and know you’re heading for the woodshed.

Someone hold my hand and tell me about all your trouble free miles of bliss now. Waiting for a DP delivery. [emoji85]?