GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
My dkm twin makes noise with the release bearing in between full down and full up. Not too loud but noticeable. I’m also on bfi stage 1 mounts and powerflex dog bone insert. The clutch grabs like a champ so I’m kind of disregarding it. I used the LUk oem bearing

alexSU

Passed Driver's Ed
Where did you guys buy the DKM stage 3 clutch? Wish I would've bought it when it was a hair over $1000!

Do they have a direct phone line or website? I heard if you buy direct they work with you on the price.

Def thinking this is the direction I need to go and not worry about having to downshift at every hill cuz this will hold more than enough torque.

Everyone still happy with their clutch? Issue seems to have been worked out.

Can you tell I'm just looking for reasons to buy this LOL

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Where did you guys buy the DKM stage 3 clutch? Wish I would've bought it when it was a hair over $1000!

Do they have a direct phone line or website? I heard if you buy direct they work with you on the price.

Def thinking this is the direction I need to go and not worry about having to downshift at every hill cuz this will hold more than enough torque.

Got mine at Urotuning back in December of 2017. I had one of the earlier kits with the FTE TOB which some had problems.

I had (still have) issues with getting stuck in gear when slow rolling (stop and go traffic in first) or reversing into a parking spot but other than that the clutch has held well.

A few drag racing events and lots of launches (AWD 5500rpm clutch drops) and the twin disk takes a beating.

Would I buy again...no. I'm sure this clutch won't last too long with my power and driving style. Next for me is a Southbend Stage 3 Daily.

Maybe if I didn't have the problems with being stuck in gear or if I thought the heavier twin disks didn't make it harder to shift quickly at high rpms...then I would recommend this clutch.

I have about 13,500 miles on the clutch so far.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion

Well, for one, you live in NC which means GTIJake is close by. He has one on his car and I believe has installed a few of these without issue. I would trust him over almost any shop to do the install right if you're not tackling it yourself.

Also, I have a brand new kit for sale for over $200 off lol that's another good reason.

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
Got mine at Urotuning back in December of 2017. I had one of the earlier kits with the FTE TOB which some had problems.

I had (still have) issues with getting stuck in gear when slow rolling (stop and go traffic in first) or reversing into a parking spot but other than that the clutch has held well.

A few drag racing events and lots of launches (AWD 5500rpm clutch drops) and the twin disk takes a beating.

Would I buy again...no. I'm sure this clutch won't last too long with my power and driving style. Next for me is a Southbend Stage 3 Daily.

Maybe if I didn't have the problems with being stuck in gear or if I thought the heavier twin disks didn't make it harder to shift quickly at high rpms...then I would recommend this clutch.

I have about 13,500 miles on the clutch so far.
You really need to get that TOB out of there, I did and it's been fantastic since. Same thing was happening where I'd get stick in gear or couldn't get into gear with the FTE. After swapping to luk it's been great. I find it hard to believe it wouldn't hold up to your power levels but then again I still have an is20. Sucked to pay a second time to get the luk put in but hopefully I won't have to mess with it again. I'm 7k on the new kit with luk tob so far.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
You really need to get that TOB out of there, I did and it's been fantastic since. Same thing was happening where I'd get stick in gear or couldn't get into gear with the FTE. After swapping to luk it's been great. I find it hard to believe it wouldn't hold up to your power levels but then again I still have an is20. Sucked to pay a second time to get the luk put in but hopefully I won't have to mess with it again. I'm 7k on the new kit with luk tob so far.

Man...I do think the Luk would be better.

Was your clutch engagement high with the FTE? Mine is so high that I still have dead space even with the BMS Clutch stop and all 3 spacers!

I would hate to replace the TOB and still have an issue though. But I'm sure the TOB is the issue

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
Man...I do think the Luk would be better.

Was your clutch engagement high with the FTE? Mine is so high that I still have dead space even with the BMS Clutch stop and all 3 spacers!

I would hate to replace the TOB and still have an issue though. But I'm sure the TOB is the issue
Mine was a mess where it was basically on the floor and I couldn't get into gear because it wasn't engaging. I worked out with them where they sent me a whole kit as I was driving 3hrs one way for the install, that I couldn't chance that it was only the tob. So I actually had aptuning swap the whole thing. It feels great now. It got so bad before swapping that I stopped driving for two weeks until I had the replacement kit to take to installer. I would suggest checking with Clifton and open a ticket with competition clutch on their site.

alexSU

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate all the input!

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate all the input!
Just buy it, it was a great clutch when I had my gti, I had some problems with mine but once we (dkm) and I got everything squared away it worked great,

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

silentrob

I agree with the above. The first 50 miles I drove right out of the shop and directly into heavy traffic and between stalling and the heavy pedal, I wanted to just give up on driving it. Once the clutch broke in and I learned how to handle the pedal again, it felt much better.

I actually went with the OEM VW metal throwout bearing and haven’t had any issues at all. Pedal engagement is good and no locking in any gears like for example inching up when backing into a spot and then it getting stuck.

My only note is that it still isn’t the nicest for bumper to bumper traffic and it does get noisy, but it’s tolerable. But to me, it’s worth the few times dealing with it in traffic for the benefit I get from being able to push the car harder at other times. Once you get going, shifts great through the gears.

A few friends who drove with my clutch complained that the pedal was too stiff - I think they really like the completely empty feeling of their stock clutches since those are easier to drive. When I drove a stock f80 m3 to compare, the m3 clutch was just a tad bit lighter than my DKM clutch.

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got my twin disk installed and at about 160km in on my 1000km break in.

I'm finding the chatter has become more noticeable as the break in continues, but still not bad at all. Just put some music on :)

Pedal feel is progressively getting better so I got high hopes for final pedal feel.

I'm finding when I'm starting from a stop, there is a slight juddery feel from the clutch (as the clutch is catching and car starts to move). I usually input around 1-2k rpm when starting and even with more gas input I can't seem to start moving the car smoothly without the slight judder from the clutch. Is this something that will get better with the break in?

And is daily stop and go driving or hwy driving the best for clutch break in I'm the initial 1000km?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie

I'm finding the chatter has become more noticeable as the break in continues, but still not bad at all. Just put some music on :)

Pedal feel is progressively getting better so I got high hopes for final pedal feel.

I'm finding when I'm starting from a stop, there is a slight juddery feel from the clutch (as the clutch is catching and car starts to move). I usually input around 1-2k rpm when starting and even with more gas input I can't seem to start moving the car smoothly without the slight judder from the clutch. Is this something that will get better with the break in?

And is daily stop and go driving or hwy driving the best for clutch break in I'm the initial 1000km?

It will get better, the kit needs to bed itself,

16CSGGTI

Passed Driver's Ed

Mine is the same way. I'm at 5k miles now and starting from a stop is almost impossible without it being jittery. Basically I can't apply throttle when I start from a stop or the jitter is really bad. I let the pedal out slowly and when the car starts to roll I give it throttle. But I also get grinding noise if I shift with any throttle applied. I'm waiting to hear back from DKM on a fix.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Mine was butter from a start. I started to get a grind on shifts but knew it was the tob so I replaced it and it was fine