GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

climatronic retrofit?

Blackgolfon17s

Ok i have searched to see if anyone has retrofitted the climatronic into a manual climate controlled car. The only thing i have found was from 2015 with nobody really accomplishing it or actually trying to finish it. Now that these cars have been out for more than two years i was hoping someone has been brave enough to try. Before everyone jumps on me i know it will probably be really pricey, but i really want it!:D

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Good luck but you'd almost be cheaper off trading.

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I'm curious about this as well. From my quick reading it sounds like everything plugs up correctly but some basic things do not function correctly. Here's the thread I found on the topic: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10186&highlight=climatronic

For what it's worth I found this kit on AliExpress. Comes with the sensors that determine the temperature. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM...lgo_pvid=0bb766fa-ed3c-48a8-a942-ade13f5e1d63. It seems as though the plug C that is referred to in the thread above is the plug that is included in this kit.

Personally couldn't see myself going crazy taking apart the dash to install this; but would be interesting to see someone take on the task. Would be pretty cool if this was just a simple install... :)

Edit: Went ahead and checked the service manual. Looks like the temp sensors are located on the far ends of the dash board, so they should be VERY easy to access. You would just need to run the wires from the center console to the outside of the dash board.

That's just the wiring though, lord knows what's involved in terms of coding or anything else.

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
This is what I found when I looked into it a couple months ago, from a previous thread I wrote. I walked away from further research when I saw the difference between the heaters used in Climatronic I and Climatronic II.

I spend a few minutes last night reviewing the schematics of the 2 zone climatic and standard. I have seen control units for under $100. However, it works so well as it is, that I am not sure if it is really necessary upgrade or just a fun thing to reverse engineer. Decided to lay down until the urge goes away as I am in the gathering phase for a Infotainment MIB1 to MIB2 upgrade, and also need a break after a Lighting Package retrofit that was quite challenging.

Took another look. Need new A/C control panel, sunlight photo sensor (not used in MK6) left and right temperature sensors, and footwell sensor. The left and right temperature sensors don't look like a problem, the sunlight photo sensor is located between defroster vents and look likes my SE has location for, and the footwell sensor looks like access would be a challenge. All looks doable and a fun project. This is a DIY on a MK6 http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42037

Did a little more digging. One potential issue is component location shows a Climatronic I (fancy name for the heater/AC box) and Climatronic II for full auto. It would take some investigation to see if the Climatronic I could be adapted similar to the MK6 retrofit of cutting a hole in port and adding footwell sensor. The three sensor are $90 new, and used control unit is $100, so this isn't a a lot of cash, but it would take some study, planning, and work.

Something else I wrote concerning:
The heater systems are Climatronic I and Climatronic II which when connected using sensors and bus lines supports the 2 zones. When I saw a couple sensors and control module with wiring it didn't look like a big deal, but when I learned about different heater units I walked away from further investigation.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Having owned both a Climatronic car (my R) and a non-Climatronic Mk7 ('15 Golf TDI), IMHO, this would be the most colossal waste of time and money imaginable. Yes, having the temp maintain itself is "nice". But regulating the temp in the TDI was hardly a dreadful chore. Selecting the fan speed for the AC manually, when the switchgear is right in front of you and barely requires even moving, isn't something worth paying BIG bucks to automate. And a huge and expensive job it would be.

If you really think you want Climatronic that badly, you'd be better off trading for a facelifted '18 model when they come out. And be sure you get every other little feature that you think might become an "essential" later. You could be chasing this dragon for the rest of your life.

wy0j

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok i have searched to see if anyone has retrofitted the climatronic into a manual climate controlled car. The only thing i have found was from 2015 with nobody really accomplishing it or actually trying to finish it. Now that these cars have been out for more than two years i was hoping someone has been brave enough to try. Before everyone jumps on me i know it will probably be really pricey, but i really want it!:D
I am installing (heated) 2015 GTI seats in my 2016 (no factory heated seats) Golf Sportwagen S. Getting the seats to heat at all may require a new BCM (https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38808). And then there's the issue of controling the heat. For that I'll need vw part no. 5gm907426awzu -- the climeatronic with manual HVAC but with seat heater controls.

Do you know of any installation/instructions or have any other counsel to offer?

Thanks,
jim

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My MK4 had manual temperature control. My MK5 and MK7 have Climatronic. I still adjust the fan and temperature manually. If you leave it on AUTO FAN the fan speed is always too high for my comfort. I haven't needed over the 2nd fan speed, after using MAX for a minute or so after the car's been sitting in the sun in the summer without the A/C running, like when you go into a store. Otherwise, the 1st fan speed is sufficient. The A/C was set from the factory for hot weather. IMO, it's really just a gimmick.

cb1111

My MK4 had manual temperature control. My MK5 and MK7 have Climatronic. I still adjust the fan and temperature manually. If you leave it on AUTO FAN the fan speed is always too high for my comfort. I haven't needed over the 2nd fan speed, after using MAX for a minute or so after the car's been sitting in the sun in the summer without the A/C running, like when you go into a store. Otherwise, the 1st fan speed is sufficient. The A/C was set from the factory for hot weather. IMO, it's really just a gimmick.
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?
"Or the corn in Carolina", couldn't resist but who knows which song from which uncool band that line came from ?

Pretty much anything can be retrofitted it's just a case of how much time, money and hassle one is willing to invest. Never had a car climate control myself, but I'm told it's a bit of a faff (bit like hassle) to use and not really worth the extra expense vis a vis air-con. But hey, it ain't up to me....

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

cb1111

I am installing (heated) 2015 GTI seats in my 2016 (no factory heated seats) Golf Sportwagen S. Getting the seats to heat at all may require a new BCM (https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38808). And then there's the issue of controling the heat. For that I'll need vw part no. 5gm907426awzu -- the climeatronic with manual HVAC but with seat heater controls.

Do you know of any installation/instructions or have any other counsel to offer?

Thanks,
jim

Premium teas sell for $4,000 per 100 grams in China. The analogy is the retrofit of a premium item is not worth the price of good tea.
While a retrofit is clearly not economically feasible, the poster believes that he needs Climatronic in order to get heated seats.

Accordingly, a discussion about the pros and cons of Climatronic doesn't answer any questions - although it may be pertinent to the two year old thread that Jim tacked his post onto.

I don't believe that one needs Climatronic for heated seats. Somewhere in the world there is a OE option of heated seats without Climatronic.

But yes, it ain't worth it - especially since the hack job will leave the car with electronic gremlins forever.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I don't believe that one needs Climatronic for heated seats. Somewhere in the world there is a OE option of heated seats without Climatronic.

Correct. In vehicles without Climatronic, a button is added to the Car menu of the infotainment system to turn the heated seats off and on - the same goes for heated steering wheel.

cb1111

Correct. In vehicles without Climatronic, a button is added to the Car menu of the infotainment system to turn the heated seats off and on - the same goes for heated steering wheel.
And a VCDS scan should show that option if it exists in NA cars.

wy0j

Passed Driver's Ed
And a VCDS scan should show that option if it exists in NA cars.
I have heated 2015 GTI seats arriving tomorrow for installation in my USA 2016 Golf Sportwagen S (base model -- only one available with manual transmission; no factory heated seats, no controls for heated seats). The thought of retrofitting a new climeatronic panel to control seat heating is daunting.

Any guidance on controlling the heating function thru infotainment or determining availability of this control with VCDS would be much appreciated!

However, in light of BCM concerns and the need of a Kufatec wiring harness (see https://golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38808), I doubt this solution will be avialable to stateside GSW S's. Prove me wrong (please!)

Thanks,
jim