GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

climatronic retrofit?

rossross

If you can find the part number for the Canadian spec climate control trim plate and controls you can get the buttons for the heated seats without needing dual zone climate control.

This is what I have in my 2016 sportwagen trendline (S in the USA).

Sorry at work so I cant post a pic.

I have heated 2015 GTI seats arriving tomorrow for installation in my USA 2016 Golf Sportwagen S (base model -- only one available with manual transmission; no factory heated seats, no controls for heated seats). The thought of retrofitting a new climeatronic panel to control seat heating is daunting.

Any guidance on controlling the heating function thru infotainment or determining availability of this control with VCDS would be much appreciated!

However, in light of BCM concerns and the need of a Kufatec wiring harness (see https://golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38808), I doubt this solution will be avialable to stateside GSW S's. Prove me wrong (please!)

Thanks,
jim

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I think there is some confusion. There are only two HVAC options in the US for MK7s.

Climatic: (single-zone, manual)
Climatronic: (dual-zone, automatic)

The Climatic can be optioned with and without heated seats. I assume that all you need to purchase is a Climatic control panel with physical buttons for heated seats. There are a bunch of used ones on eBay for as little as $50.

Edit: Did some more reading, and VW used to offer a semi-automatic climate control (auto temp/manual fan) that they called Climatic. The name is now misleading as VW has given it to the fully manual version in the MK7.

Last edited:

wy0j

Passed Driver's Ed
Ugh why would you want to do that? Masochist.
All comments have been appreciated, but yours looks to be the most prophetic & spot-on, robmarktoo -- GTI seats arrived with the front seat electrical plugs cut off/MIA. arrrggghhhhhh.......

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Hey so I just did this mod using the Aliexpress package that comes with a new j255 unit adapter harness and vent temp sensors. All in all it was plug and code. (Minus drilling a hole in the passenger foot vent for a sensor) the only issue I have right now is the coding required after swapping face units is vent flap checks (which completed correctly) and the ac compressor initial start run in. ( which won't work properly) so while I can output test the ac satisfactory. I can't use the ac button.

Attachments

• 20200906_164350.jpg
    20200906_164350.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,373
  • 20200906_134003.jpg
    20200906_134003.jpg
    907.1 KB · Views: 1,162

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hey so I just did this mod using the Aliexpress package that comes with a new j255 unit adapter harness and vent temp sensors. All in all it was plug and code. (Minus drilling a hole in the passenger foot vent for a sensor) the only issue I have right now is the coding required after swapping face units is vent flap checks (which completed correctly) and the ac compressor initial start run in. ( which won't work properly) so while I can output test the ac satisfactory. I can't use the ac button.
You shouldn't have had to drill any holes anywhere!

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
You shouldn't have had to drill any holes anywhere!
So a small hole was required to fit the passenger lower temp sensor. My car didn't come with the ambient temp sensors.

Attachments

• a_20170328_1023323110.jpg
    a_20170328_1023323110.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 120

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Which kit did you purchase? Only ones I've seen have the two top vent sensors
So the kit I had didn't tell me where to install it so the foot well air was easier to tap. (I tapped number 4)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200908-101953_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200908-101953_Samsung Internet.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 360
  • Screenshot_20200908-103307_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20200908-103307_AliExpress.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 348

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
You don't need to drill anything. The sensors go in the top vents - there's already holes for them covered by rubber grommets.
Ha oops, well I just got my ac working so no complaints from me

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
@carbon_gecko, would you recommend this mod? Does REST work?

I’m really interested but not sure if my OCD could handle the non-working passenger size temperature adjustment.
No I don't have rest working yet, I have bought the air quality sensor, the rain/humidity sensor and the correct fan and am waiting for them to ship. I will install and code and show it here when its done. The one thing I like is the menu control. I didn't realize it had its own infotainment screen to show you where the air is coming from. I am happy with this mod and it was alot easier than most said it would be. As for the passenger side temp control... just leave sync on.

Attachments

• 20200906_164350.jpg
    20200906_164350.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 201

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Hi guys, just wondering if someone can describe the procedure for getting the Air vent sensors into place, cable routing etc. Do you need to remove the dash?

I've bought the Aliexpress kit which comes with the 2 sensors and the harnesses, but I have zero experience in dash-stuff on the MK7, my last car being the MK4 (which had climatronic, and why I bought this kit to get away from the basic-b*tch heater controls). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.