GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Well shit. Updated again: my magnaflow came in and you know I had to put it on! I need to make a YouTube so I can get you guys sound clips with the Apr downpipe. It's not that loud at all, barely any drone but when you get on the beans it really opens up. I actually think the variable timing BWRapppp was louder with stock suitcase than magnaflow imho..

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well shit. Updated again: my magnaflow came in and you know I had to put it on! I need to make a YouTube so I can get you guys sound clips with the Apr downpipe. It's not that loud at all, barely any drone but when you get on the beans it really opens up. I actually think the variable timing BWRapppp was louder with stock suitcase than magnaflow imho..

It’s all so subjective, but you clearly have a very high tolerance for drone or haven’t driven on the highway yet. That exact setup has be done a million times and shortly after a resonator added 900,000 times. (Exaggeration obviously, but way too much as you’re running it for most people)

FYI the brand of downpipe makes practically zero difference in sound,

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

I have the same setup and the 17950 resonator will do you well - trust me!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I drive 40 miles both ways (80-90) everyday for work. My setups drone is completely bearable to me, but like you said it's all subjective. I'll probably add a resonator down the line when exhaust bug itches again. The only thing is the actual vibration of the exhaust when idling is a little deep.
I've noticed cast designs have a slightly different pitch compared to 3.5-3" aluminum mandrel. The cast designs are deeper and more burbley. The others are more cackley and higher pitched ever so slightly. But maybe it's so slight it's in my head? (I had a cts catless before i switched to Apr)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I drive 40 miles both ways (80-90) everyday for work. My setups drone is completely bearable to me, but like you said it's all subjective. I'll probably add a resonator down the line when exhaust bug itches again. The only thing is the actual vibration of the exhaust when idling is a little deep.
I've noticed cast designs have a slightly different pitch compared to 3.5-3" aluminum mandrel. The cast designs are deeper and more burbley. The others are more cackley and higher pitched ever so slightly. But maybe it's so slight it's in my head? (I had a cts catless before i switched to Apr)

Idk I deal with several different mk7 per week and can’t tell the difference between cast and mandrel, I think that’s probably just the spending twice as much justification you’re hearing lol

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Idk I deal with several different mk7 per week and can’t tell the difference between cast and mandrel, I think that’s probably just the spending twice as much justification you’re hearing lol

Lol zinger. Would it not make sense from a harmonics perspective though? And honestly I think the aluminum sounded better and more cackley so i don't think that's it hahaa xD

m0sh

Anyone have sound clips of their exhaust with DP (catted or uncatted), with resonator delete, and stock muffler?

I was running DP with no muffler, stock res, and it was RASPY. Especially in the 2800-3500rpm section.

I put back the stock muffler, and unfortunately it is too quiet now. Hoping someone has a sound clip with the res delete! Tried to search but... 36 pages is not easy to wade through.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Lol zinger. Would it not make sense from a harmonics perspective though? And honestly I think the aluminum sounded better and more cackley so i don't think that's it hahaa xD

To an engineer maybe, but in real life no. Your cast dp isn’t aluminum btw it would melt lol, it’s cast stainless steel (aluminum melts around 1350* F give or take)

Anyone have sound clips of their exhaust with DP (catted or uncatted), with resonator delete, and stock muffler?

I was running DP with no muffler, stock res, and it was RASPY. Especially in the 2800-3500rpm section.

I put back the stock muffler, and unfortunately it is too quiet now. Hoping someone has a sound clip with the res delete! Tried to search but... 36 pages is not easy to wade through.

I wouldn’t bother. I’m sure someone somewhere loves it but you’d be much happier putting the muffler delete back on and swapping the stock resonator out for a Vibrant 17950 (3”) or 17930 (2.5”)

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I know, I'm saying the mandrel sounded better than the cast imo. But cast is deeper and more burbley. M0sh I have some clips of what you're looking for if you PM.

DubbinDude

Passed Driver's Ed
When it comes to the cheapest option for exhaust sound what do you suggest? I have listened to many youtube videos and it seems with a complete stock setup a muffler delete is the best option to just get more sound. Is there any issues with passing emission without muffler?However, it seems there is a debate on how the piping should be that replaces the muffler area when it comes to how the pipe should be bent to get the best sound. Any suggestions? Pictures or videos you can suggest for me to research some more? Also 3.5 tips or 4 inch tips with stock rear end?
Thanks everyone!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
When it comes to the cheapest option for exhaust sound what do you suggest? I have listened to many youtube videos and it seems with a complete stock setup a muffler delete is the best option to just get more sound. Is there any issues with passing emission without muffler?However, it seems there is a debate on how the piping should be that replaces the muffler area when it comes to how the pipe should be bent to get the best sound. Any suggestions? Pictures or videos you can suggest for me to research some more? Also 3.5 tips or 4 inch tips with stock rear end?
Thanks everyone!

The best thing to do is just get a downpipe and leave the rest the way it is! Or yes you can do the muffler delete a few different ways.. mine was a full three inch system I had made. But I've seen some that literally just chop the rear suitcase off and make a t pipe to the outlets, reusing the stock 2.5" mandrel. However if you ever plan on getting a dp I would just do a res delete and downpipe with the stock muffler.

P.s. I had 4" ECS chrome slants before my magnaflows and I thought they were a tad too ricey for me. I think 3.5 looks best on these cars. The dual outlet is a little silly on them too but looks okay if the tips are hugging the diffuser pretty in and tight.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Like I said, I have always appreciated a good sounding exhaust - not a loud, raspy, rice, tin can (insert early 90s civic).....the magnaflow, with catted DP, and 17950 resonator is perfect if you are looking for great tone and not too loud

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks everyone!

Start with a catted downpipe, and if you love it you’re done. If it drones add a vibrant 17950 midpipe.

Check out my YouTube channel below it has several examples of options ranging from $400 and up that sound great