GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
So what are everyone’s opinions on a res delete with a catless DP? I did the DP about a month ago and still want just a bit more sound, especially lower in the rev range. Will it cause a ton of drone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say you should try it, I covered most of the space in my trunk below the spare with sound deadening material (dynamat etc) it helped a lot with drone. I’m running a res delete with a catted downpipe and I want more sound as well. Also, catbacks are super expensive. If you have the 600 bucks or so to buy a catback go for it. I’ve been trying to make the best out of the stock catback but I can’t find the perfect in between. My muffler shop literally told me “It’s starting to look like a f****** mess down there” ?

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
To gti jake or anyone else who would like to chime in,
My current dilemma is I have an APR Catted DP with a resonator delete and the stock muffler and it's way too quiet for my taste. I miss my pops and cracks on my previous setup (APR DP, OEM Resonator and muffler delete) the sound was overwhelming merging onto highways which brings me to the question, how good of a volume reducer is the borla straight through muffler (BORLA XS PRO) or is there any other straight through muffler for me? I'm thinking either the same borla you have in the last bend on the stock catback or a smaller highflow cylinder shaped muffler in place of the stock res. I just miss the extra noises my previous setup had just not the volume.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My current dilemma is I have an APR Catted DP with a resonator delete and the stock muffler and it's way too quiet for my taste. I miss my pops and cracks on my previous setup (APR DP, OEM Resonator and muffler delete) the sound was overwhelming merging onto highways which brings me to the question, how good of a volume reducer is the borla straight through muffler (BORLA XS PRO) or is there any other straight through muffler for me? I'm thinking either the same borla you have in the last bend on the stock catback or a smaller highflow cylinder shaped muffler in place of the stock res. I just miss the extra noises my previous setup had just not the volume.

Put you’re muffler delete back on with a Vibrant 17950 in the stock resonators location. It’s been done, no drone (or very little) and all the volume you’re looking for without being get pulled over all the time loud

I have the borla xs pro and use them often, it’s not what you’re after

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

I'm running a Eurocode catted DP (very similar to your APR DP) with the Vibrant 17930 and a CSS muffler. It growls and pops - w/ no drone :). For the volume it can be loud when you're over 3k but I wouldn't call it obnoxiously loud. The CSS muffler is a more straight through design than the OEM muffler. I imagine most straight through designs will be loud over 3k though as that's when the cam switches over for the variable valve timing.

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
I already ran a Vibrant 17930 with the muffler delete And dp and I wasn’t a fan. Im thinking of getting one of those ecstuning exhaust valve cutouts. The ability to switch exhaust whenever is awesome.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I already ran a Vibrant 17930 with the muffler delete And dp and I wasn’t a fan. Im thinking of getting one of those ecstuning exhaust valve cutouts. The ability to switch exhaust whenever is awesome.

Wouldn’t bother with ECS, it’s just a China valve re branded

QTP seems to have the best reputation

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For the best of civilized in cabin / drone free, but aggressive sound outside you’re gonna need a full TBE. Obviously not cheap, but if you’re gonna be picky about sound w/o drone you gotta pay to play

Not disclosing details on this, since I’ll be building them as a production part someday, but it does use a Vibrant 17950

https://youtu.be/_Yr9FGX0F40

murtaza911

Ready to race!
My resonator finally came, and I had it installed today. Honestly, I was expecting it to be quieter. It's still very loud for my taste. It definitely removed some of the drone and raspyness.

Obviously something like this is subjective. But this wasn't the solution I was hoping for. But I don't think there is much more I can do with out going back to stock downpipe.

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Since you’re running a catless DP, that may be part of the problem; see my other post; it’s about like stock.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I just ordered a qtp exhaust cut out with my Apr dp, res delete and oem suitcase. I will say the first set up is perfect for dailying but like others have said it just needs to have the volume turned up by a couple knobs!

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
I just ordered a qtp exhaust cut out with my Apr dp, res delete and oem suitcase. I will say the first set up is perfect for dailying but like others have said it just needs to have the volume turned up by a couple knobs!

That’s awesome, I’ve been looking at QTP and other exhaust cutouts as well and we run the same exact setup. Please let me know how the install goes, price to install, and make a video on how the cutout sounds!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
That’s awesome, I’ve been looking at QTP and other exhaust cutouts as well and we run the same exact setup. Please let me know how the install goes, price to install, and make a video on how the cutout sounds!

Ok so had my cutout installed. Had it on for about 1 week before deciding on a custom catback.

What I did was pretty unique and I've never heard another mk7 like this. Or an 4 cyl. Really...

Basically I had the guys (mig welding magicians 40+ yrs experience small town shizz) make a solid one piece 3" steel aluminum fused 16 gauge piping from the cat all the way back. I then put one of those cheap universal VX mufflers (flowmaster 40 series knock off) in the spot where most cbe have their mufflers. Then they custom welded a y split with a razor sharp middle inside to split the gases perfectly. I have the money to get a better quality muffler but it was free so whatevs. But it actually does sound pretty cool. Considering these mufflers are basically a one, two route (high flow) design the sound was pretty unique. It is extremely deep. Almost like a boxer engine or some type of small 6 cyl. It does not sound like a 4 cyl at all!

Summary:
Apr dp, Apr cat, 3" catback to a vx flowmaster muffler, 3" all the way out. It is very burbley. The rasp is completely gone from the cutout , straight pipe. Yet it's kind of loud, smooth and deep, deep, deep! However, the drone is pretty bad so I need to look at fixing that. It's weird though, it only drones at 2000 rpm not at 2800-3000 where are variable timing kicks in and where my other set ups all droned. Very strange. Sound clips on their way.

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
Ok so had my cutout installed. Had it on for about 1 week before deciding on a custom catback.

What I did was pretty unique and I've never heard another mk7 like this. Or an 4 cyl. Really...

Basically I had the guys (mig welding magicians 40+ yrs experience small town shizz) make a solid one piece 3" steel aluminum fused 16 gauge piping from the cat all the way back. I then put one of those cheap universal VX mufflers (flowmaster 40 series knock off) in the spot where most cbe have their mufflers. Then they custom welded a y split with a razor sharp middle inside to split the gases perfectly. I have the money to get a better quality muffler but it was free so whatevs. But it actually does sound pretty cool. Considering these mufflers are basically a one, two route (high flow) design the sound was pretty unique. It is extremely deep. Almost like a boxer engine or some type of small 6 cyl. It does not sound like a 4 cyl at all!

Summary:

Apr dp, Apr cat, 3" catback to a vx flowmaster muffler, 3" all the way out. It is very burbley. The rasp is completely gone from the cutout , straight pipe. Yet it's kind of loud, smooth and deep, deep, deep! However, the drone is pretty bad so I need to look at fixing that. It's weird though, it only drones at 2000 rpm not at 2800-3000 where are variable timing kicks in and where my other set ups all droned. Very strange. Sound clips on their way.

Interesting, I cant wait to hear it!
When you say “in the spot where most cbe have their mufflers”
Do you mean right here where the muffler is in that picture?