GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running stage 2 on a stock clutch?

LeoA86

Ready to race!
lol, true true. I had seen some post that i can't find, some guy claimed he was stage 2 apr stock clutch for about 10k miles! If true that is pretty legit, just seeing if others have tried it and are running with no problems. I'd imagine if you don't beat the crap out of it, it might hold up.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just flooring it in a higher gear can make it slip. My feeling is, if you need to baby the car, it's not worth doing. If you plan to keep the car I would just get a high performance clutch first.

LeoA86

Ready to race!
Yeah, saving up for a clutch in the future. Have jb1 with intake, plan on getting a down pipe, ill see then how the clutch holds. Hopefully another year till i have funds to upgrade the clutch.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I'll be stage 2 on Monday with stock clutch. I'll be sure to post when it starts slipping. Luckily I have the replacement.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
My VW dealer and two tuners I know have mentioned replacing worn clutches on Stage 2 equipped Golf R's.

You better do the clutch upgrade sooner than later!

Turbo V

Ready to race!
My clutch started to slip at 9000 on a Power module. I am running APR stage 2 now and I would strongly suggest you simultaneously upgrade to the RSR clutch. The car is insane with the tune and the stock clutch is junk. I stepped on a 2017 clutch pedal today and it felt like air since I'm used to my clutch feel now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Stock clutch can barely handle 50 more ft/lbs of torque over stock. Even if it doesn't slip immediately, you can be assured it isn't holding the power completely and is wearing rapidly. I'd consider a clutch upgrade a necessity on any tune/flash/piggy back on this platform (GTI or R).

Good time to also upgrade the rear main seal to avoid future issues as well.

surfwagon

Ready to race!
I've been driving with stage2 on a stock clutch for around 6 months. My clutch started slipping in 5th and 6th gear when I floored it on day one of the tune. I drive balls out in gears 1-3 without an issue. On occasion 4 th gear slips. The clutch definitely does better in warmer weather. Your car will be 100% drivable on a stage 2 clutch. I've had cars that when the clutch went out they were literally undrivable. This is not the case for our car. Go ahead and flash Stage 2 and start saving for a clutch. You will have time to save up.

sparkyr

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the typical cost of a stock clutch upgrade to a good clutch?

surfwagon

Ready to race!
I bought the rsr clutch and new OEM Flywheel for around $1200 I think. I bought it around 6 months ago and haven't installed it yet. The labor for that will be around $800

sparkyr

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought the rsr clutch and new OEM Flywheel for around $1200 I think. I bought it around 6 months ago and haven't installed it yet. The labor for that will be around $800

Thanks. A chunk of change, but worth it.