GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running stage 2 on a stock clutch?

LeoA86

Ready to race!
I've been driving with stage2 on a stock clutch for around 6 months. My clutch started slipping in 5th and 6th gear when I floored it on day one of the tune. I drive balls out in gears 1-3 without an issue. On occasion 4 th gear slips. The clutch definitely does better in warmer weather. Your car will be 100% drivable on a stage 2 clutch. I've had cars that when the clutch went out they were literally undrivable. This is not the case for our car. Go ahead and flash Stage 2 and start saving for a clutch. You will have time to save up.

That is news to my ears. Thanks for the info. Also, how long have you had the stage 2 tune installed for? At what mileage and current mileage. Thanks.

surfwagon

Ready to race!
$800 install? Where at the dealer lol You guys all get beat to death on labor, it's like a 4-5 hour job max

If I remember correctly. The GTI takes around 5 hours to install. The R takes 7 hours. My mechanics quoted me around $700 but I've done some reading online and saw most people were paying around $800

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
FYI, if you drive around with a slipping clutch (ie, trying to save money), you will most likely need to then replace the dual mass flywheel, which is another chunk of change on top of the clutch.

If you have low miles and prep the car before tuning it, you may be able to reuse the stock DMF. They are not supposed to be resurfaced (not a simple block of metal), and some tuners recommend always replacing them.

RAubry

Passed Driver's Ed
My clutch started slipping this morning.. faaaackkkk... jb4 map6... drove it hard yesterday and today its slipping... fml... switched it back to map0 and its not slipping... it was -12C this morning... but yeaaaahhh... fun times....

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
On the low end, the R and GTI's clutches can only handle roughly 40-50 more ft/lbs of torque then stock. But we have seen owners slip with as little as a 30 ft/lb increase. The clutches can not handle it. They are really designed (almost seems a design decision) for stock power only.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
On the low end, the R and GTI's clutches can only handle roughly 40-50 more ft/lbs of torque then stock. But we have seen owners slip with as little as a 30 ft/lb increase. The clutches can not handle it. They are really designed (almost seems a design decision) for stock power only.

All carmakers care about is weight, so they don't need to make their engines more efficient to reach the CAFE requirements.

Which is bullcrap since for years the U.S. has produced more oil than its consumes. But instead of meeting our needs and keeping prices low, the oil companies sell U.S. oil to foreign countries for a higher price. They even take in foreign oil, refine it here, then send it back. Now we don't have enough so they buy oil from other countries. Gas would be cheaper here if the oil companies didn't do either. The biggest joke is when the price goes up because a refinery here is offline for one reason or another. They could stop processing oil for foreign customers to keep U.S. prices the same but won't. At least that's the way I understand it. The less oil we use, the more money the oil companies make.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I know this thread is old but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I have a 2015 rev T build date. Maybe they have some sort of unicorn clutch or something.. IDK but I wanted to share my experiences:

I have now passed 23k miles tuned on stock clutch. Most stage two. I have researched this and noticed a pattern. APR tunes tend to slip clutches less.. Why is this? Well, they incorporate torque limiters into certain gears. For instance, 1st, 5th and 6th have different levels of torque limiting with TC on. This helps save the clutch and disc from being roasted if the car is being lugged in a higher gear. Tall gears kill clutches. I am not sure if ED or other popular OTS flashes have this feature to this degree. I have seen a lot of clutches slip on APR tunes though.. I believe a clutch manufacturer was changed late 2015 but this is not confirmed.

I had a buddy with the exact build date as mine pull his clutch at the same time a new golf R did the same in a shop. I examined and compared both. The older clutch had a DARKER material on the disc, and seemed "thicker" from the disc surface than the newer one. Who knows.

In the winter my clutch slips with the higher gears if I attempt to lug it, but 2nd-4th gear pulls seem to be fine, especially in the summer.

The reason I'm adding this is because reading everything on here I was under the impression that my clutch was going to flip me off, jump out of the car and run away as soon as I drove away tuned... I just want to add that this has not been the case for my car and a couple others that I have seen that are 2015s running 415~ tq.

Cheers

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Since we’re reviving an old thread I’ll chime in having now changed three gti clutches. Non PP gti is pretty straight forward, $550 labor is fair. Performance Package GTI sucks to do add at least $100 labor for that. I haven’t done an R yet but I’d imagine it would be a bigger pain in thee arse than PP gti. On a two post lift I’m sure it’s easier, but I did two on jackstands and one on my QuickJack and don’t look forward to the two I have lined up in the next couple of months.

dman918

Ready to race!
Lots of threads out there. Are there any specific ones people recommend that discuss specific clutch recommendations and such? May swap it before it even becomes an issue, especially if it would cost me less overall if I did (be able to retain stock flywheel, etc). Thanks!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Lots of threads out there. Are there any specific ones people recommend that discuss specific clutch recommendations and such? May swap it before it even becomes an issue, especially if it would cost me less overall if I did (be able to retain stock flywheel, etc). Thanks!

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37662

This is what I’m running, and have installed on customers cars. Both I have lined up for installs soon are going this route as well.