GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

Dave C

I got into contact with some of our dealers as well as customers with 7.5's. From what I have seen now they all have the normal plug as found in the pre facelift GTI with the same wiring.
I reckon the variance we are seeing is only for the 245hp performance pack. I am convinced the blue wire is the correct one especially if it goes to the red on the other side. I should have the diagram in the next few days though for the specific model and will advise accordingly.

Hi George,

Have you had any luck with finding out if it definitely is the blue wire.

Thanks,

David

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Hi George,

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

It looks like it is the blue wire. I am not 100% sure as the wiring diagram is not up on the VW main frame yet. Can you confirm if it join the red on the other side?

bkiusmaximus

Hey George,

Any info on how the JB4 behaves on an otherwise-stock car running 91 octane? Unfortunately, tough to find 93 near me, and I'd rather not fiddle with ethanol blending or additives. What kind of power boost should we expect on 91, and/or other issues in adapting to the lower octane? Any mods that might be particularly helpful with the lower rating?

Thanks!

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Hey George,

Any info on how the JB4 behaves on an otherwise-stock car running 91 octane? Unfortunately, tough to find 93 near me, and I'd rather not fiddle with ethanol blending or additives. What kind of power boost should we expect on 91, and/or other issues in adapting to the lower octane? Any mods that might be particularly helpful with the lower rating?

Thanks!

You'll be fine on map 1 (the map that ships on the unit). If you want to go beyond that, you'll have to run some logs in map 1 and map 2 to see how your car responds to the added boost.

From the first post:
Map 1 will yield the advertised 35whp and 40ft lbs on 91 on a stock car

I'm stuck on map 1 with 91 octane on an otherwise stock car. An upgraded intercooler will help control intake air temps (planning to get one soon) and reduce timing pull due to heat. But even with an upgraded intercooler, idk how safe it'll be for me to run map 2 on 91 octane until I log when the time comes.

Oh joy for us in CA, huh

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Been running map 1 on 93 octane for the last 9 months. Stock car with modified airbox and revo TIP.

Decided to hook up the AfR wire, and switched to map 2. The car feels very fast. Nice smooth power delivery. Figured with the cooler weather and decent fuel I should be ok till it gets warm again. I finally got a an OTG cable to connect to my android phone. I will post some logs once I get a chance to establish a baseline while the weather is cool.

But so far I am loving it. Gone is the urge to try a Unitronic 1+ for now, but the idea of less boost and more timing to make power does sound like a long term tuning solution.

bkiusmaximus

You'll be fine on map 1 (the map that ships on the unit). If you want to go beyond that, you'll have to run some logs in map 1 and map 2 to see how your car responds to the added boost.

From the first post:

I'm stuck on map 1 with 91 octane on an otherwise stock car. An upgraded intercooler will help control intake air temps (planning to get one soon) and reduce timing pull due to heat. But even with an upgraded intercooler, idk how safe it'll be for me to run map 2 on 91 octane until I log when the time comes.

Oh joy for us in CA, huh

Thank you! I'd read a couple dozen pages of this looking for info -- don't know how I missed it, when it was on the first post :eek:

Now to find a way to get one...

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Thank you! I'd read a couple dozen pages of this looking for info -- don't know how I missed it, when it was on the first post :eek:

Now to find a way to get one...
No problem.

You could get one used from the classifieds section of these forums. They pop up from time to time at a lower price -- it also doesn't matter which "group" (as listed on the BMS website) it is because they're the same unit for Golfs, GTIs, and Rs. EDIT (April 15, 2019): New groups have been added since I originally posted this. Per George, Groups 1 - 3 are the same. See https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=724559&postcount=5

I went through Black Forest Industries since they're willing to ship to CA (I'm in socal) and the used ones in these forums would get sold within an hour back when I was trying to buy one.

Last edited:

Muzza80

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi George,

Thanks,

David

Hi Dave, did you check where the wires go to on the car harness? My car doesn't arrive for another 2 weeks yet to cant check myself.

Cheers.

FlipFlop2

Sorry if this is a dumb question, couldn't find a solid answer. Running JB4 Map 1 with a intake and catted downpipe on 91 octane. Just verifying that I can stay on Map 1 safely. I really don't feel like messing with Map 6 and am very happy with the current power.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Sorry if this is a dumb question, couldn't find a solid answer. Running JB4 Map 1 with a intake and catted downpipe on 91 octane. Just verifying that I can stay on Map 1 safely. I really don't feel like messing with Map 6 and am very happy with the current power.
Yup. You can run map 2 if you wanted

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk