GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I can probably get a video of my efr7163 with the E-gate on it moving the actuator/flapper arm for comparison to yours.

That would be huge for me if you could do that. I’d be super grateful.

forget about that turbo, and move on

To what is the question... there simply isn’t a better response/power combo than the EFR :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotaryguy

Passed Driver's Ed
That would be huge for me if you could do that. I’d be super grateful.

To what is the question... there simply isn’t a better response/power combo than the EFR :(

What test or adaptation did you run?

I ran...position test of end stops of charge pressure actuator.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
What test or adaptation did you run?

I ran...position test of end stops of charge pressure actuator.

Hey sorry. It’s under output tests. There are a couple of options that sound exhaust related... it’s one of those. Can’t remember off the top of my head.

Out of curiosity, do you actually pass that test your running? Or do you get “Aborted: Safety Reasons”

rotaryguy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey sorry. It’s under output tests. There are a couple of options that sound exhaust related... it’s one of those. Can’t remember off the top of my head.

Out of curiosity, do you actually pass that test your running? Or do you get “Aborted: Safety Reasons”

I think it goes to finished correctly. I can verify if it helps.

Here is the vid.

https://youtu.be/O6r1-0yxBvw

Navi

Autocross Champion

very true, but working turbo is more responsive than broken EFR turbo :D

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
very true, but working turbo is more responsive than broken EFR turbo :D

LOL you got me there man! If I can’t get this going I’m probably just going back IS38.

Here is the other test.
VCDS “Exhaust Bypass Valve” test. 1080p 240fps.
It closes so tight you can see it flex the bracket. [emoji123]

https://youtu.be/3AMv54DRCks

Now see how smooth as butter that is? Absolutely no roughness on close. Compare yours to mine if you haven’t already. Yours is the 2nd I’ve seen that’s smooth like that as opposed to how rough mine is. Mine didn’t used to be so rough when I did this test on my previous turbo as well. I don’t have slo mo but you can hear it.

https://youtu.be/YaW-eG1krwc

I’m really starting to think that’s my issue. Thing is if I switched to a different turbo, and this is my issue, I’m going to have this problem with the other turbo.

I’m flashing back to stock soon and re running the test to see what happens.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I flashed back to stock, didn't look any smoother.

While messing around tonight I noticed the WG arm was... moving... which would explain why I've had to keep tightening the rod for acknowledgement. Looks like it's going to have to go back to the fab shop for some fixing, I assume on their dime...

So, troubleshooting is back on hold. :/ Gonna post this on my other thread.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Well. The fab shop is going to take care of this first. It’s possible that this is the root of the issue. I’m not exactly sure how, but it made sense to the fab guy. So we’ll fix it back up at no cost to me, I’ll put it back on and try again. Then go from there.

I’ve got some other stuff I have to take care of, but I’m going to start pulling it back off here in an hour or two, and try to get it to them in the morning.

I’m off for vacation as of yesterday but head to California Friday to do an HPDE event at Laguna Seca with a Hertz rental Camaro SS for my birthday/Labor Day [emoji23][emoji23] I have a couple more days off when I get home so I hope to have it back by then.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I have had to constantly keep acknowledgement tight enough, even before this latest revision of the arm. I’ve had to tighten it over and over because it would come loose and EPC would come on for implausible signal. I could never figure out why, but sure seems that the arm was rotating around the shaft that connects down to the gate. So that could explain a few things. Everyone that has welded, has just welded to what was already there basically. So if that came loose at the core then it wouldn’t matter what changes we made to the arm since it would just rotate around the “core” if that makes sense...

Would also explain why after every revision it seemed like I’d get one or two good pulls until the main problem came back. So maybe we’ve finally found the real problem after all? Thoughts? Just thinking “out loud” here.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Queb I bought the TBB v1. However with a perfectly performing EFR I would of course choose the borg warner. Just gotta get it figured it out is all. Plus that EFR will rip with that ported head.

With all due respect to my fav company right now..

I would take some of those WGDC datazaps with a grain of salt :)

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Queb I bought the TBB v1. However with a perfectly performing EFR I would of course choose the borg warner. Just gotta get it figured it out is all. Plus that EFR will rip with that ported head.

With all due respect to my fav company right now..

I would take some of those WGDC datazaps with a grain of salt :)

My understanding is that a full-frame turbo upgrade will always be better than a hybrid. That's what they say anyway, and I couldn't tell you why. Main advantage of the EFR is the twin scroll hotside. The EQT XL / DBV2 will have more top end but more lag.

How's the response with the TBB v1?? Got any logs? I'm curious what RPM you hit your target PSI at in 3rd and 4th and when it runs out of breath up top. v1 could be a good balance like I'm looking for