GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free 6MT mod (part deux): clutch pedal spring removal

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Interesting: I just checked under my pedal and this spring isn't there (Just like with the bleeder valve delete). I found the mounting points but no spring. I always thought that my clutch felt WAY better than the GTI's clutch, and I guess this is just another reason why. It's weird that so many "comfort/assist" items exist for the GTI's clutch but not for the base golf's (At least mine, maybe I got lucky).

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Lol it's another "cost cutting" of 2 cents for those Golfs :D

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I'll take it! :p

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Interesting: I just checked under my pedal and this spring isn't there (Just like with the bleeder valve delete). I found the mounting points but no spring. I always thought that my clutch felt WAY better than the GTI's clutch, and I guess this is just another reason why. It's weird that so many "comfort/assist" items exist for the GTI's clutch but not for the base golf's (At least mine, maybe I got lucky).

That is interesting. Are you saying the diaphragm in the bleeder block wasn't there either?

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
That is interesting. Are you saying the diaphragm in the bleeder block wasn't there either?

There's a simple answer to this.

1. The bleeder block is specifically designed to prevent driveline shock from hard-quick shifting. This is not needed in a less powerful Golf.

2. The clutch assist spring is needed with a stiff clutch. The GTI has a uprated pressure plate I.E. it's physically going to be stiffer, therefore VW decided it needed an assist spring.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
If I'm not mistaken this is the spring in question:

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Yes, that's the one!

Sorry I didn't include a picture, but none came out well on my phone.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
There's a simple answer to this.

1. The bleeder block is specifically designed to prevent driveline shock from hard-quick shifting. This is not needed in a less powerful Golf.

2. The clutch assist spring is needed with a stiff clutch. The GTI has a uprated pressure plate I.E. it's physically going to be stiffer, therefore VW decided it needed an assist spring.

Valid points. It does look like the 5-speeds have a different style bleeder block as well. I would say the clutch stiffness feels normal now! :p

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Just did this and drove back and forth to the gym.

Holy balls I can feel the clutch now, A+ free mod so far.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
That good? I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning!

Mk7CarbonSteel

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, that is the spring. Remove only the spring. You need to push down on the pedal to remove it. It's a tightly wound spring, so it pulls a little as you push the clutch, but not enough to pull it on its own. I removed mine yesterday and I'm about to drive it for the first time today.

It won't hurt the clutch in the long term. It's only there to assist in pedal feel so the GTI can be sold across the board...from enthusiasts to those who like to have fun but would prefer refinement and not the raw feel. That's why they put the delay valve in there and a turbo muffler too. All so anybody can be happy with the car.

Last edited:

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Yup that's the spring, although mine didn't have that white piece. I'm guessing it's some sort of dampener for the spring.

I don't see any reason why it would cause long term damage. The spring in question for damage was for 2015+ Ford Mustangs that have a completely different design. As mentioned above the regular Golfs do not come with this spring.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
So are you guys completely removing the spring or are you guys just taking the one end off of the slot?

Take it off completely and store it someplace. I would be afraid of the spring falling off and loosing it if I didn't remove it completely. It goes on and off easily.