GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strut Mount replacement

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I got two 034 motorsports mounts lightly used to install with my Koni. What about the rear shocks? Is the mount the same?

Different mount.
I think 034 now has rear one. Check on it.
I would do that. But I think OE if left is not an issue if cost a concern.
Rear not as touchy.

But my choice would be all 034 Mounts, front and rear.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Different mount.
I think 034 now has rear one. Check on it.
I would do that. But I think OE if left is not an issue if cost a concern.
Rear not as touchy.

But my choice would be all 034 Mounts, front and rear.

Thanks.

AR11

Ready to race!
There is way more discussion on strut mounts in other threads and even other forums. I would encourage all to research the topic a bit - ESPECIALLY if you are sensitive to suspension noise.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
indeed when i do shocks in the future, ill be getting rid of the ECS mounts and installing 034. noise on the drivers side since install with the ECS ones...
What kind of noise exactly? Rattling/clunking?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Ok, I've noticed that as well. I've got another rattling sound on the driver's side that I can't figure out. I've ruled out everything except the strut being blown.

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
Ok, I've noticed that as well. I've got another rattling sound on the driver's side that I can't figure out. I've ruled out everything except the strut being blown.

I had 034 mounts installed when I did my springs. They were unbearably harsh, and started making all sorts of noises and clunks after only a couple thousand miles. I replaced them with OEM, and am much happier. No noise, no increased NVH, and no noticeable handling difference. YMMV

Navi

Autocross Champion
Yeah the ECS squeak like crazy esp over bumps. I swapped them out for the 034 and they are silent. I wish I had taken photos of a side by side comparison to show you guys. Even visually you can tell why and how the ECS would squeak compared to the 034. Material is fairly different.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Great. Will make the change when I swap shocks.

Navi

Autocross Champion
yeah.. ECS had told me to try WD40.. which I did try reluctantly bc that is like a bandage for the real issue. WD40 didn't help. And then it was a bitch to clean up afterwards when I was putting in the 034 mounts. On a side note, the strut bolt also came loose. Not sure if that was bc it's a locking bolt and bilstein customer service told me I could re use it or if it came loose also bc of the damn wd40. Either way that was creating a noise also... more of a clunk than a squeak though. Might want to check that to make sure all the bolts at the top are tightened to spec though.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
ECS had told me to try WD40

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

This lol. WD40 drys out rubber, so they essentially told you to ruin what's left of your mounts.

I blame DAP's install video for most mk7 owners suspension noise issues. NEVER EVER NEVER EEEEEEVVVVVEEEERRRR use air tools on your struts. Spinning the mount bearing and or strut shaft at 20,000 RPM when it's designed to spin 5 RPM is a sure way to cause blown struts and smoked bearings...not to mention ending up with mystery torque

It's really not a big deal to torque them properly. Spark plug socket, Allen key, and a wrench (crows foot on your torque wrench to set final tq)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have a set of those as well, everyone with a Volkswagen should. Along with a triple square set, torx set (or at least T20,25,30)

Edit: but you should never turn the Allen, torx, or triple square. Those fastners are all to back up or hold while you turn the nut.