GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

CW08DSG1

I cannot thank you enough for this post. While my 15+ years in the business have been on the sales side of things, I am or have been members of several car forums over the years, and every time someone brings up the Magnuson-Moss Act, followed by a "they gotta prove it bro" type remark, I want to scream.

While there's no fixing ignorance or stupidity, hopefully your clear, concise and very straight forward answers will put some people at ease, and shut some other ones up.

I'll also add that my VW dealer pushed for an intake cam replacement for me, after the fuel pump had been replaced under warranty. My car (at that time) was APR Stg 2+. They knew it was tuned, VW knew it was tuned. VW warrantied the cam. A good relationship and attitude with the dealer goes a very long way.

deejaysmiff

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll be testing this today my MK7 blew it's turbo last night, so it's back off to the tuners to remove the APR flash and get it back to the original settings, then back to the dealer for a turbo replacement under warranty. Lets see what happens.

deejaysmiff

Passed Driver's Ed
Well i have just returned from the tuners and had it reverted back to stock, while i was there i was told that the dealers can not detect the difference between the stock map and the flash that was a VW technician who works for the tuners. Either way i have had the stock flash put back and now it's sat at the dealers while they do a diagnostic.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Well i have just returned from the tuners and had it reverted back to stock, while i was there i was told that the dealers can not detect the difference between the stock map and the flash that was a VW technician who works for the tuners. Either way i have had the stock flash put back and now it's sat at the dealers while they do a diagnostic.
That's just plain wrong. The ECU image checksums won't match any of the known VW ones.

deejaysmiff

Passed Driver's Ed
My tuner also said that ,one interesting info ,we just have to wait for deejaysmiff to give us info what the dealer says

I have the car back :) the turbo and the cat had to be replaced :D the cat had metal in it from the shaft which had broken up, there was no questions asked the dealer was very apologetic and did a great job. I did have the flash taken off so the car was stock when i took it back, my turbo was a "Q" revision and i was told that VW are on revision 8 at the moment APR did advise me to get the low output flash 296bhp rather than the high output 316bhp as the turbo issues still haven't been fixed yet!!

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
It sounds like what we need is someone with a tune( apr, eurodyne or what ever) that gets put back to 'stock' when they go in for service and have their vin checked afterwards
(with screen shots if everybody is willing)

I have been doing it for 4 years now on APR. I have an older model but they still use the td1 flag system. I have never gotten warranty work declined at any dealership. All this fear doesn't make much sense to me, but I realize a lot of you guys are new to the VAG scene and this is a new model but in a few years I think people will realize it's overplayed

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
This obviously doesn't apply to tuning boxes as the ecu doesn't get tampered with. You would need to clear any fault codes generated by the tuning box though.

RedGTIMK7

Passed Driver's Ed

...returned to dealer with trans breakdown...engine/trans code. The dealer fixed the car and no mention of anything what so ever.

Last edited: