GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
A mod-friendly dealer still means a lot though. As Dbest stated a mod-friendly dealer will try to help a good customer get a warranty repair approved if that part has been known to fail on stock tuned cars as well. For example, my Mk6 GTI had the hpfp fail at like 19,500 miles. The dealer where I bought the car TD1 flagged me right away and basically told me to get bent. The car was APR stage 2 with full turboback exhaust, intake, sway bars. I then went to another local dealer who called VWofA and were able to get the hpfp repaired under warranty. I have given my business to that dealer ever since don't ya know! The Mk6 remained flagged but there was some comfort in knowing that my dealer was even willing to help me out. Since that time we've added another VW to the family and the service both of our cars.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
No MK7 for me, I ditched my MK6 and bought a 4Runner, it was to impractical for my lifestyle now that I live (and play) on the mountains.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
No MK7 for me, I ditched my MK6 and bought a 4Runner, it was to impractical for my lifestyle now that I live (and play) on the mountains.
I remember that but I thought that maybe you added a Mk7 to the garage too. Again mega thanks for this post.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
So to sum it up, the tune will void your powertrain warranty. Looks like no chip for me :(
Supposedly Eurodyne goes back to full stock tune and adjusts the flash counter but nobody knows if it 100% avoids td1 flag.

brentj7

Looks like cosmetic mods for me until my warranty is over....I can pay for suspension/wheel related repairs but power train/transmission, no thanks. Are there ANY under the hood mods that would be relatively safe to add?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swoope

Ready to race!
But IF it truly is a 100% original factory stock program with no traces left behind it will not detect it as there would be nothing to detect. I don't know if in actual practice if it really has no trace left behind so I wont speculate either way.

And this is the million dollar question!

btw, you did a great job explaining the whole process.

thank you for that, it should slow down the stupid for a while..

beers

manfriday

Ready to race!
And this is the million dollar question!

btw, you did a great job explaining the whole process.

thank you for that, it should slow down the stupid for a while..

beers

The most abundant elements in the known Universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Thank you so much and welcome to the forum.

This will shut some people up about dealer-controlled flagging :)
Couldn't agree more - great write up !!

S T I C K Y ! ! !

jwilkins88

Ready to race!
Looks like cosmetic mods for me until my warranty is over....I can pay for suspension/wheel related repairs but power train/transmission, no thanks. Are there ANY under the hood mods that would be relatively safe to add?

Intake, motor mounts, DV, catch can, APR turbo muffle delete, and..... I'm probably missing some.

The reason I say those are safe is because they're easy to stock out. If something goes wrong, you can spend 5 hours stocking out and call it a day

brentj7

Intake, motor mounts, DV, catch can, APR turbo muffle delete, and..... I'm probably missing some.

The reason I say those are safe is because they're easy to stock out. If something goes wrong, you can spend 5 hours stocking out and call it a day

TRUE. I guess as long as you not messing with the computer you should be good, you said muffler delete but what about cat-back? should be fine in my eyes but I'm not sure if there are any sensors passed the cat that could send anything to the computer

jdennett

Passed Driver's Ed
It sounds like what we need is someone with a tune( apr, eurodyne or what ever) that gets put back to 'stock' when they go in for service and have their vin checked afterwards
(with screen shots if everybody is willing)

jwilkins88

Ready to race!
TRUE. I guess as long as you not messing with the computer you should be good, you said muffler delete but what about cat-back? should be fine in my eyes but I'm not sure if there are any sensors passed the cat that could send anything to the computer

Apr's turbo muffler delete is not an exhaust muffler delete. VW put a muffler on the compressor of the turbo so that it does not make as much spool noise. I think it was really dumb of VW, but oh well