GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance rebuild on IS20

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I've been doing some boost-centric testing in the top end - it is doing just fine, based on the actuator readings:

https://datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/is38-01-9028-27-tpr-4th-gear?log=2&data=1-4-6-7-17-18-19-20-21

I know the timing is low... ignore that for now. Trying to dial in the boost before monkeying with timing. It is carrying 23/24psi all the way through the RPM range. I'm going to bump it up again to 25psi target and see how that works out.

This is pretty close to the max redline boost I will run on the hybrid. On track to dyno by the end of the month.

Is anyone considering this path, and wanting more peak boost than 25psi? I'm willing to jack it up to about 27psi target and run a few logs, but won't do it if there isn't any interest.
I am! I still have time to decided If i go the hybrid is20 route or go stock is38. Quite literally my goal is to go for the safest/cheapest option. Power output over the stock is20 is already a given. So now its just a competition to see who can provide the best reliablity/cost.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I am! I still have time to decided If i go the hybrid is20 route or go stock is38. Quite literally my goal is to go for the safest/cheapest option. Power output over the stock is20 is already a given. So now its just a competition to see who can provide the best reliablity/cost.

Are you also planning on going the flash-tune route, or sticking with JB1/4? What's your peak psi target?

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Are you also planning on going the flash-tune route, or sticking with JB1/4? What's your peak psi target?

The idea for now is to use the jb4. Then tune later on. I think for this years racing I'm focusing on using the available power and learning the circuits. Then for next year go full power at it. So i don't have a psi target per say. I've been running a decently maxed jb4/intake/dp setup, think my current peak is 24. So power wise, Im going Turbo,IC,tune .

drrck

Go Kart Champion
The idea for now is to use the jb4. Then tune later on. I think for this years racing I'm focusing on using the available power and learning the circuits. Then for next year go full power at it. So i don't have a psi target per say. I've been running a decently maxed jb4/intake/dp setup, think my current peak is 24. So power wise, Im going Turbo,IC,tune .

You should get an IC first. I dropped 3 seconds off my best laptime of 1:53 just by swapping out the IC. Heatsoak is real on the track.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
You should get an IC first. I dropped 3 seconds off my best laptime of 1:53 just by swapping out the IC. Heatsoak is real on the track.

Funny just reading this. IC/charge pipes are a in the cart for sure.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Ya no point in going hybrid is20 or is38 with a stock intercooler.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I wouldn't even go stage 2 without an IC...

How is your tuning coming on the Littco unit? Any logs to share? :D

def getting an IC. might be a guinea pig for the rev9 outlet pipes too

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
You're saying with an E-mix you can't max the IS20 hybrid out due to fueling? So you're tuning for 93 now?

I'm knock limited on my garbage pump gas, so not tuning any further with that map. It has plenty of headroom for fuel supply.

I'll get a baseline dyno for the pump map in the coming weeks, maybe Saturday if all goes well.

This is where I'm stopping for pump:
https://datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/is38-09-9128?log=0&data=1-15-16-17-18-19-22&zoom=7-90

That's 25psi at 6.1k and the wastegate duty is healthy. My conclusion based on logging is that this hybrid can make IS20 psi much easier than a standard IS20, though it doesn't make tremendously more power (+15-20whp). I haven't seen any IS20 logs holding boost that long, but I would wager that the WG duty would be at a much lower value. This leads to a very flat tq curve, if you tune it that way, so you get IS20+ power all the way to the tippy top of redline instead of dying off at 5500.

I ran into some surge issues but was able to tune it out with some help. Demanding 25/26psi at 2k was causing some serious engine/turbo vibrations. Dialing it down to 18psi helped a bunch, but limits that giant tq hit at 2800-3k. That's really the only negative experience I've had with this turbo so far.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3

I haven't seen any IS20 logs holding boost that long, but I would wager that the WG duty would be at a much lower value. This leads to a very flat tq curve, if you tune it that way, so you get IS20+ power all the way to the tippy top of redline instead of dying off at 5500.

I'm holding 26+psi over 6k :). I only just got my 3rd revision file and it is starting to feel insane again. On the 1st two files i felt my stock is20 pulled stronger up until 4500. Now it feels like the hybrid is20 will straight murder my old car. And knowing Jon, there is more to come.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I'm holding 26+psi over 6k :). I only just got my 3rd revision file and it is starting to feel insane again. On the 1st two files i felt my stock is20 pulled stronger up until 4500. Now it feels like the hybrid is20 will straight murder my old car. And knowing Jon, there is more to come.

26 over 6k? Daymnn......