GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance rebuild on IS20

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Anybody currently or willing to make this an option? I'd be happy with another 25-35 whp/tq and more reliable balanced turbo for $450-600 range. Half the cost of IS38. Is it doable? Probably have a lot of peeps interested at that $ point. Thoughts?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I believe we have a billet compressor wheel so this isn't usually possible (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If it was, are you just thinking to cut/trim the wheel? This would help top end but sacrifice a little spool (similar to an IS38 I imagine).

The possibly easier upgrade would be to get an IS38 CHRA/wheel and machine the housing to fit it. No clue costs on that though.

Edit - This is something I've thought about though myself.. it would basically be a cheaper IS38 and MAY have less spool than an IS38 due to the smaller turbine wheel. Without someone trying it though we'd have no idea :)

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I believe we have a billet compressor wheel so this isn't usually possible (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If it was, are you just thinking to cut/trim the wheel? This would help top end but sacrifice a little spool (similar to an IS38 I imagine).

The possibly easier upgrade would be to get an IS38 CHRA/wheel and machine the housing to fit it. No clue costs on that though.

Edit - This is something I've thought about though myself.. it would basically be a cheaper IS38 and MAY have less spool than an IS38 due to the smaller turbine wheel. Without someone trying it though we'd have no idea :)

Yeah, pretty much just tweaked enough to get a reasonable gain in hp/tq and more importantly reliability. Turbo you could beat on and not worry. :).

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I think it's do-able, just need to contact some shops. I doubt it'd be too much money either. At least you know it's balanced then lol

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Then you could crank the boost up with some meth injection and have a 350/400 whp car. I think that would make really fun car on street. Would still need the other bolt on's (intercooler, dp, clutch, tuning etc.).

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Geez, this is an awesome idea. Hope it turns out to be doable and in that price range.
You may have created a monster. Lol, this forum gets an "A" for ingenuity!

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Geez, this is an awesome idea. Hope it turns out to be doable and in that price range.
You may have created a monster. Lol, this forum gets an "A" for ingenuity!

I'm putting some feelers out to some shops right now. Unfortunately they will probably need the turbo to evaluate it before making recommendations. I could go a week or two I guess. Lol.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I'm putting some feelers out to some shops right now. Unfortunately they will probably need the turbo to evaluate it before making recommendations. I could go a week or two I guess. Lol.

Yeah, that puts a damper on it. Some shop is bound to have an IS20 laying around to look at. Much easier that way!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I'll see if any of the local guys who went IS38 still have theirs. On my 3000GT it's pretty common to do this sort of thing. I have 15Gs in there which is basically a stock compressor housing which has been made to fit bigger wheels.

If you haven't tried them, reach out to Midwest Turbo Connection. A lot of guys use them for upgrades like this. Unfortunately you'd have to ship it to them and that's extra downtime.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I'll see if any of the local guys who went IS38 still have theirs. On my 3000GT it's pretty common to do this sort of thing. I have 15Gs in there which is basically a stock compressor housing which has been made to fit bigger wheels.

If you haven't tried them, reach out to Midwest Turbo Connection. A lot of guys use them for upgrades like this. Unfortunately you'd have to ship it to them and that's extra downtime.

Cool. Yeah Midwest is on my list. Just talked to Turbo Supply out of Joplin which is pretty close to me. How long does it take (avg mech) to pull the turbo?

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I've been corresponding with a dude from UK that will be putting together is20 hybrids. Housing will be very similar to is38 so should make similar power. 700 pounds for complete is20 where you provide core or he'd have to source the is20 so it'd cost more. I'm not so sure about tuning as well. Don't know if an is38 tune would work, regular stage 2 or would have to go custom.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
If he sources the turbo that would be an additional 260 pounds and than you have to factor in shipping from UK. If you send your turbo to him you'd get that money back.

Last edited:

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Just talked to Midwest and he said there is currently no rebuild kit available for the is20 part number. So they won't touch it until that becomes available. Damn... Thoughts?

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Somebody in states that come up with kit and performance mods could probably turn a couple hundred of these real quick. ??

Yeah new IS20's are almost the same as new IS38. Cores would be needed.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Here is his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thelittleturbocompany/