GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance rebuild on IS20

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Can't they build it up with bigger or better parts?

I'm sure they could, but at that point I'd be into it as much as a VTT or Tomioka unit. They'd have to re-machine the housing, source a new/upgraded/bigger CHRA, and rebuild.

There's a local IS38 for $600 that I might pick up and throw in while they diagnose the hybrid. Not sure I can go back to the stock IS20 after having tasted the sweetness lol :D

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Can't they build it up with bigger or better parts?

That is indeed a siren. How much throttle and RPM does it siren doing that?

I can only hear it in 1st and 2nd between idle and 2k. After that, it is not loud enough to overpower my exhaust note, which is rather loud (DP + Vibrant res + CSS).

I've hooned on it a couple times since it started making that noise, and it still logs fine. Holds 25psi all the way to 6k just like it always did, but I'm playing with fire doing pulls like that ;)

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't send it. don't want it going and sending shit into the engine.

I like to think I have the balls for it, but I'd be lying to myself. I can stomach the cost of a turbo swap, but losing the engine would be a problem.

I'm going to turn the boost all the way down and limp along until I have time to put the stocker in, or grab this IS38.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I like to think I have the balls for it, but I'd be lying to myself. I can stomach the cost of a turbo swap, but losing the engine would be a problem.

I'm going to turn the boost all the way down and limp along until I have time to put the stocker in, or grab this IS38.

See if you can score an F rev is38 should be more than enough I would think haha.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Can't wait till the day they get these reliable enough to trust on a dd. If I were a betting man I would say that hybrid concepts of compressors are going to really catch on in the next ten years..

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
What is happening with the turbo for it to make that sound? Blades slightly touching the housing from shaft being out of tolerance?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
The siren is different on every car but typically it indicates a shaft that is following a +0.05 degree of angle off its original rotational path, per say. The sound is caused from both metal touching where it shouldn't and causing a change in the way air circulates within the housing, hence the high pitched whine. Though I've seen some that have it and never blow and some that blow without having it. Diagnostic tools are always the best way to figure compressor issues out as our ears can be deceiving.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I'll have it out of the car and off to gpop in the next couple weeks. I will keep this updated with their response

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I'll have it out of the car and off to gpop in the next couple weeks. I will keep this updated with their response

Someone in another thread said they weren't offering warranties on rebuilds any more :(

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Someone in another thread said they weren't offering warranties on rebuilds any more :(
I thought that was only on the IS38 hybrids and builds, because of the inherent issues/design flaws of the IS38. But I could be wrong. It's happened before. Just don't tell Mrs AtlantaDad. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I thought that was only on the IS38 hybrids and builds, because of the inherent issues/design flaws of the IS38. But I could be wrong. It's happened before. Just don't tell Mrs AtlantaDad. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Unless something changed in the time being, I read the same thing as you, only IS38.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I posted my email from Gpop regarding warranties a while back... they will honor warranties on IS20 hybrids, but nothing for IS38 units.