GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any updated tune news??

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
I'm looking at going stage 2 in my new GTI and I know there's plenty of tune threads out there but most of them haven't been updated.

I'm looking to be able to tune at my house, and get the best numbers. I've been looking at a protune on Cobb through somebody, Eurodyne, or Unitronic.

I've seen some people getting around 330 horses and almost 400 torque on some protunes, then some highly comparable numbers from Unitronic's stage 2.

I've just seen so many different numbers out there on older threads that I was just wondering if anybody had any recent dynos or impressions or advice on this matter.

I just don't want to drop $800 on a tune just to find out there's a better tune out there for the same price making more power.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'm looking at going stage 2 in my new GTI and I know there's plenty of tune threads out there but most of them haven't been updated.

I'm looking to be able to tune at my house, and get the best numbers. I've been looking at a protune on Cobb through somebody, Eurodyne, or Unitronic.

I've seen some people getting around 330 horses and almost 400 torque on some protunes, then some highly comparable numbers from Unitronic's stage 2.

I've just seen so many different numbers out there on older threads that I was just wondering if anybody had any recent dynos or impressions or advice on this matter.

I just don't want to drop $800 on a tune just to find out there's a better tune out there for the same price making more power.

Are you DSG or manual?

Navi

Autocross Champion

You are always going to see different numbers based on where people are dynoing, what type of dyno, what supporting mods etc. The only way to see how much power a tune makes is to dyno your car on the same dyno same conditions without a tune and then with the tune to see the difference in power and power band. You would have to do this with every single tune to be able to compare them to each other and even then there will be variances. Pretty much impossible. Just get whatever tune you want. Go with a custom tune such as protune or maestro.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
I'm DSG, stock right now, but plan on going stage 2. Waiting for Unitronic to come out with their PP fitting downpipe.

And I understand all tunes are different, I just don't want miss out on something because I don't have all the updated news and opinions on the tunes out there.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Do you plan on running anything besides pump gas?

Do you need room for future turbo upgrades?

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Best Bang for buck is JB4 Map 6 + E30 and a Rev9 Downpipe. That will get you around 320 HP or maybe more for under 350(used)+150, and can be resold when you're done.

Second best bang for buck would be Cobb + DP and stage 3 OTS for free. you can buy a used one for around 500 and then resell for same when done. if you want that custom tune, another 250-300(Won't get back), but will net you solid gains with good gas.

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
You can always save money by getting a better priced downpipe such as CTS w/ cat. I am UNI stage 2 ECU and TCU. The UniConnect is nice, only real requirement is internet access. I was Stage 1 for three years prior to a week ago and didn't have any real issues. The car has about 45k miles on it, the Stage 1 went in at 500miles. Highly recommend, also if you get the CTS downpipe the vibrant J-style w/ medium insert will do the trick until you go stage 2.

Good luck with the downpipe removal it is a pain. The CTS sounds great and the added stage 2 file w/ pops and crackle, i like a lot.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
I don't want to mix any gases so any "e" tune is out.

And from what I've heard Unitronic has the best sounding downpipe and I like the v-band set up they have on it.

Are your stage 2 numbers close to what they advertise on their site? @Ecapskcab

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I don't want to mix any gases so any "e" tune is out.

And from what I've heard Unitronic has the best sounding downpipe and I like the v-band set up they have on it.

Are your stage 2 numbers close to what they advertise on their site? @Ecapskcab

I went 12.9@112 on all seasons with Uni S2.

It's a good tune, but Cobb and Maestro do so much more. Only cobb issue is the DSG tune.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
Sounds like your mind is set. Why don't you buy what you really want?

Good luck!

I have my mind set downpipe wise, but tune wise I have no idea. That's the problem. Ha.

I went 12.9@112 on all seasons with Uni S2.

It's a good tune, but Cobb and Maestro do so much more. Only cobb issue is the DSG tune.

And I don't really know what I'm doing tuning wise so the Maestro program doesn't seem like it would benefit me all that much. And Cobb said they're OTS DSG tune is right around the corner. So I'm leaning a little more toward Cobb because of the free DSG maps and being able to etune it.

Just wasn't sure if the Uni stage 2 set up was that far off people's Cobb protuned numbers.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I have my mind set downpipe wise, but tune wise I have no idea. That's the problem. Ha.

And I don't really know what I'm doing tuning wise so the Maestro program doesn't seem like it would benefit me all that much. And Cobb said they're OTS DSG tune is right around the corner. So I'm leaning a little more toward Cobb because of the free DSG maps and being able to etune it.

Just wasn't sure if the Uni stage 2 set up was that far off people's Cobb protuned numbers.

You can e-tune with Meastro, and Cobb has been claiming their DSG tune is right around the corner for a year now. Also, there's no way in hell it'll be free. It's a $700 add on for some other platforms.

I'm Cobb with Stratified. Very happy with that setup, but I did have to get an APR TCU tune because I was overpowering the transmission.

With IS20 on pump gas you won't have that issue.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
You can e-tune with Meastro, and Cobb has been claiming their DSG tune is right around the corner for a year now.

I'm Cobb with Stratified. Very happy with that setup, but I did have to get an APR TCU tune because I was overpowering the transmission.

With IS20 on pump gas you won't have that issue.

Okay, a lot of people seem to be going the Stratified route. Looks like I'll go that route then. Thanks.

And do you have the crackle/pop add on?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Okay, a lot of people seem to be going the Stratified route. Looks like I'll go that route then. Thanks.

And do you have the crackle/pop add on?

No, I have a full 3" straight through exhaust.

It pops and crackles naturally, last thing I want is to tune for it and disturb the peace even more.

Personally I think it's rice, but I know some people love it and Alex can do some customization to your taste.

If you go Cobb, Stratified makes the most sense right now.