GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any updated tune news??

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Do I know the hardware? I don't. And are you talking more power stock turbo right? Sorry a lot of is38 graphs being posted, messing me up. Ha.

Yes, I probably gained another 20 on the stock turbo with intake, exhaust and IC.

Ultimately, railroader is right. Dyno numbers aren't everything, they're one piece of a pie. If tuner A makes 10hp more than tuner B, but tuner As DSG tune blows and makes the car suck to drive, it wasn't worth it.

I can tell you Uni's stuff (both ECU and TCU) is fully sorted out. My car ran like a stock car, great MPG, etc. Just made way more power and fixed a lot of the DSGs incredibly annoying stock programming. My Stratified tune is also excellent, and I would not go back to ANY off the shelf tune when there are options for a similar price that do much more.

My APR DSG tune sucks but that's another issue lol.

Don't choose based on cost. Ultimately you'll pay twice when you aren't happy with the first setup, and a couple hundred bucks over the life of the car is barely a drop in the bucket.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
Yes, I probably gained another 20 on the stock turbo with intake, exhaust and IC.

Ultimately, railroader is right. Dyno numbers aren't everything, they're one piece of a pie. If tuner A makes 10hp more than tuner B, but tuner As DSG tune blows and makes the car suck to drive, it wasn't worth it.

I can tell you Uni's stuff (both ECU and TCU) is fully sorted out. My car ran like a stock car, great MPG, etc. Just made way more power and fixed a lot of the DSGs incredibly annoying stock programming. My Stratified tune is also excellent, and I would not go back to ANY off the shelf tune when there are options for a similar price that do much more.

My APR DSG tune sucks but that's another issue lol.

Don't choose based on cost. Ultimately you'll pay twice when you aren't happy with the first setup, and a couple hundred bucks over the life of the car is barely a drop in the bucket.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid by doing this research is paying twice as much for a mess up like choosing the wrong tune. I know it's subjective in a way but I just don't want to leave anything on the table when I could have put that same amount of money toward a better tune. That's all.

Only real thing I've decided so far is I want a tune that I can control from home, so that leaves Cobb/protune, Uni, and ED. All seem to be great options so it makes the choice even harder. Ha.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid by doing this research is paying twice as much for a mess up like choosing the wrong tune. I know it's subjective in a way but I just don't want to leave anything on the table when I could have put that same amount of money toward a better tune. That's all.

Only real thing I've decided so far is I want a tune that I can control from home, so that leaves Cobb/protune, Uni, and ED. All seem to be great options so it makes the choice even harder. Ha.
If you dont want to pay twice then Cobb or eurodyne cause if you go at least is38 you will be covered with Cobb, ed and with uni you will have to buy another tune

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
I'm definitely not going bigger turbo. And if I do it will be years down the line, definitely no time soon.

I was thinking of going with Cobb for the OTS DSG maps but I've heard Uni has the best DSG maps already so I guess going with them wouldn't be bad either.

It's definitely between those 3 though.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I'm definitely not going bigger turbo. And if I do it will be years down the line, definitely no time soon.

I was thinking of going with Cobb for the OTS DSG maps but I've heard Uni has the best DSG maps already so I guess going with them wouldn't be bad either.

It's definitely between those 3 though.
LoL uni has the most shit DSG tune. Womp womp.

Whoever told you that is smoking crack. APR hands down has the best at the moment.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Well then. Ha.

I've seen more people say APR's was shit and Uni's had the best on the market.

Whoever said that is fanboying.

Facts are facts, APR has the best DSG software outside of UM which is locked into their ecosystem.

I doubt anyone will debate this.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!

Facts are facts, APR has the best DSG software outside of UM which is locked into their ecosystem.

You dummies. Shoulda just spent $400 improving the clutch infrastructure and then $1800 the clutch itself and you wouldn’t have to dick around with dsg software.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

Stage 1 UM TCU tune can be purchased seperately from their ECU tune. It is priced decently and can work well with a car that isn't making gobs of torque.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

Whoever told you that is smoking crack. APR hands down has the best at the moment.

APR is only better for clamping force, which won't be a problem if the OP goes with Uni for the ECU. Don't pair Uni with Cobb, not a good match due to Cobb issues.

I hate my APR tune and can't wait to get rid of it, unfortunately there's nothing on the market that works better with Cobb right now.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

Found the APR fanboi. I'd go with a k0mpressed DSG tune in a heartbeat, don't know how it stacks up to the others but at least I trust the guy. Wouldn't touch anything APR with a 10 foot pole due to past experience with their products.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Found the APR fanboi. I'd go with a k0mpressed DSG tune in a heartbeat, don't know how it stacks up to the others but at least I trust the guy. Wouldn't touch anything APR with a 10 foot pole due to past experience with their products.

I'm a 5150 fanboy not APR. Sorry, try again Cobb tuned IS38 5150.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Stage 1 UM TCU tune can be purchased seperately from their ECU tune. It is priced decently and can work well with a car that isn't making gobs of torque.

Honestly, for the price the APR software has more value for future proofing IMO. Also Nelson burned through UM DSG tune while on his IS20. Slipped and it didn't hold.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
APR is only better for clamping force, which won't be a problem if the OP goes with Uni for the ECU. Don't pair Uni with Cobb, not a good match due to Cobb issues.

I hate my APR tune and can't wait to get rid of it, unfortunately there's nothing on the market that works better with Cobb right now.

As it stands APR performs with best with cobb protuners from what I've seen.

But I have no doubt when Cobb releases their tunable DSG software, the rankings will change quickly. COBB should be releasing in Sept also btw.

Last edited: