GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to the GTI world...

tlh5204

Greetings All,

Recently purchase a new 2017 GTI Sport (carbon steel). New to this side of the world but loving it so far! New to the forum as well and I was hoping to get some tips/tricks in regards to breaking in the car.

Also hoping to get some insights; where everyone may benefit from this thread, with "to do's" and "not to do's" for new GTIs less than 1k mileage.

Anything will be appreciative!

PS, I want to apologize if I'm posting it in the wrong area, still getting accustom to the site.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Greetings All,

Recently purchase a new 2017 GTI Sport (carbon steel). New to this side of the world but loving it so far! New to the forum as well and I was hoping to get some tips/tricks in regards to breaking in the car.

Also hoping to get some insights; where everyone may benefit from this thread, with "to do's" and "not to do's" for new GTIs less than 1k mileage.

Anything will be appreciative!

PS, I want to apologize if I'm posting it in the wrong area, still getting accustom to the site.

Break in.

Some feel no need and drive it like you stole it.
Most feel something like the below is best.

1. Drive it in normal or comfort mode.
2. Just drive normal with no super hard acceleration or braking.
3. Vary the driving. Not all stop and go and not all interstate.
4. If you must drive interstate for most of the first 1,000 then vary the speed. 65, 70, 75, don't lock cruise in and drive at 70mph for 1,000.
5. Refrain from full boost runs and 60-0 test stops.

Normal driving for 1,000.

Then after that, each time you drive from cold start, drive normal until oil temp is 180F or above. I drive in comfort mode until up to 180F - takes about 6 miles. Then drive as you want.

Again there are many thoughts on this. If you do not do the above will it be ok? Maybe. Treat it like a new car and take care of it and it will hopefully be around a while.

PS: We need pictures for proof of purchase.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Specifically the manual mentions not taking the car over 4K rpms while in the initial 600 mile break in. Then steadily increasing the RPM max until you pass 1000 miles.

By the time I got to 900 miles I was running it up pretty close to the redline.

It can be taxing on your psyche to not let the beast off the chain but like Sandman said a lot of people on here follow the manuals break-in advice.

Welcome to the forum!

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
longer the break in the better in my opinion. the dual clutches are not equally strong; clutch 1 connected to r,1,3,5 gears is stronger and can take more abuse.

2,4,6 are on the inner clutch #2. roll your foot off the line on hard acceleration don't mat it, and get used to the 4th and 5h gear ratios being the same .80 basically

get the oil temp up near 200 (i live in cali) before really hitting it. 61% of the weight is up front so the diff will help coming into corners, so sometimes accelerating into a turn will be better than getting liftoff overseer.

and you'll feel the rest out. oh yeah the lumbar support is kind of hidden up on the back of the seat , and when you're not using android auto or Apple carpkay take the cable out of the box....got my fcking flap stuck shut a few times , oya don't rub your gauge cluster with anything...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Break in.

4. If you must drive interstate for most of the first 1,000 then vary the speed. 65, 70, 75, don't lock cruise in and drive at 70mph for 1,000.

Then after that, each time you drive from cold start, drive normal until oil temp is 180F or above. I drive in comfort mode until up to 180F - takes about 6 miles. Then drive as you want.

Again there are many thoughts on this. If you do not do the above will it be ok? Maybe. Treat it like a new car and take care of it and it will hopefully be around a while.

My 17 GTI only has Normal, Sport, and Custom. Am I missing something here? Is there an update to the system that I don't have?

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
na that's from the dcc autobahn edition
the adjustable/adaptive suspension gives you another mode and setting

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Don't get too hung up on the break in stuff. This is a topic that is constantly debated and there is no clear answer. Many top engine builders and plenty of engineers will tell you a hard break-in is best.

Every automaker i know of says the opposite, even though many of them run engines at WOT before they leave the factory.

I took delivery on a Monday, was doing dyno pulls on Friday night.

I personally recommend doing the first oil change around 3K miles. If you tune the car, stick to a 5K mile oil change interval.

Even with premium oils, fuel dilution effects the viscosity relatively early.

tlh5204

Break in.

Peep the rose blossom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
My wife and I were on vacation in SC back in March of 2015 and by chance found a 2015 Golf R inside the showroom. We bought it on the spot and had to drive it back to NE Ohio (about 700 miles). I was always varying my speed from 55 to 75 mph. I had the same concern as you, not hurting the motor/trans.

So if I may ask what are your plans for your car, are you going to leave it stock or are you going to be doing some mods to it ? Either way I hope you like your MK7 as they are great cars.

Chuck

ps--if you need any help with your car, give me a shout.

tlh5204

My wife and I were on vacation in SC back in March of 2015 and by chance found a 2015 Golf R inside the showroom. We bought it on the spot and had to drive it back to NE Ohio (about 700 miles). I was always varying my speed from 55 to 75 mph. I had the same concern as you, not hurting the motor/trans.

So if I may ask what are your plans for your car, are you going to leave it stock or are you going to be doing some mods to it ? Either way I hope you like your MK7 as they are great cars.

Chuck

ps--if you need any help with your car, give me a shout.

Thanks for reaching out! Best purchase in my life so far... In regards to my plans, I'm considering doing some mods but not sure what first. I've been receiving feedback from family/friends about certain mods and the "warranty". At this point, I'm just gonna go enjoy the drive:D.

Any recommendation on what first?

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
ITS A TRAP! Going to the ECS website could be dangerous to your bank account!

Just kidding ( kinda) ECS is a good resource for stuff. But you've been warned....

As others haven said before, drive it normally for the first 1000 mls, then do an oil
change. Don't push it like an idiot when cold. Vary engine speed, but don't overdo.
Then, at 1000 mls and when the engine is properly warmed-up, give it a harder push
in the twisties.
The '1000 mls run-in oil change' is definitely not overdoing things. Actually it's one
of the most underrated points in the automotive world. As a mechanical engineer,
who has seen hundred of oil analysises, I can assure you that the oil will show up a
noticeably increased content of so-called 'wear metals' such as iron, aluminium and
copper. While the bigger particles (> 5µ) are caught by the oil filter, the smaller ones
still pollute the oil and cause wear. Therefore, as a consequence, an early oil change
will no doubt help to minimize wear.

Every automaker i know of says the opposite, even though many of them run engines at WOT before they leave the factory.
Who is doing that? Ferrari? Porsche on a GT3 RS? Is that even relevant?

I don't know ANY mass manufacturer doing this and I've visited several plants myself
and was talking to their engineers. For example the engines at VW, Audi, BMW and
Daimler don't even see a single drop of fuel at the plant. All the testing is performed
'dry', without any fuel and just driven electrically. That's 100 % for certain. ;)
The 'WOT thing' is just a myth and it doesn't get more true if it's repeated for the
1000th time!