GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Anyone have a good starting point for map 6 settings with an is38 swap, stock downpipe?

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Any issues make mating the stock DP to the IS38? How does it feel? Did you ever have a IS20 on the car?

I had the is38 installed by a shop, A2B motorsports, he didn't mention any issues during install and there are none now.

It doesn't feel as snappy as the is12 did on the same tune but it feels so much stronger. I really can't wait to get some direction from George to start turning up the boost.

I had an is20 on the car for only a few thousand miles and that was about a year ago. That felt awesome as I was getting that dialed in so I'm really excited to see what the is38 feels like.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I had the is38 installed by a shop, A2B motorsports, he didn't mention any issues during install and there are none now.

It doesn't feel as snappy as the is12 did on the same tune but it feels so much stronger. I really can't wait to get some direction from George to start turning up the boost.

I had an is20 on the car for only a few thousand miles and that was about a year ago. That felt awesome as I was getting that dialed in so I'm really excited to see what the is38 feels like.
Billy has worked on my car also. Curious to see how the car feels dialed in compared to the IS20.

Showcase

I’m new to the forum, creep a bit but I need some advice. Perhaps this is in the thread but I’m not reading 119 pages to try to find out the answers. Any help would be realy appreciated. I’m 94 octane, is12 with an intake and turbo inlet and JB4. These are my map 6 settings AT trans.

1500 - 1.0
2000 - 2.6
2500 - 3.1
3000 - 3.5
3500 - 4.3
4000 - 5.1
4500 - 5.3
5000 - 5.3
5500 - 5.4
6000 - 5.3
6500 - 5.0
7000 - 4.8

Is this considered high or conservative? Also, I want to change it to absolute but I don’t know what my equivalent settings would be. How do I figure that out? Lastly, is there much advantage to having it as absolute vs addive?

Cheers!

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Showcase,

Since you are using additive numbers, do you have a good idea what you normally boost during a Map0 run while logging? Did you try Map 2 already? How different does it feel? I’m guessing the weather is in the 50&60F in Edmonton during the day, so you won’t need as much boost. But you should be hitting around 14-16 peak.

Do a log in Map 0 when flat out from 2nd to 3rd from 2500-6500. Your trims should fluctuate around 25-35 and your ign-1 should climb around 4K up to redline, peaking around 8-10.

If all this sounds right then, set your FOL to 60 and boost to a couple psi above what you get in map 0. The IS12 should be able to peak around 18-20psi. Always set your boost to peak at 4500k.

Post logs for more help.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
tplo, your log looks pretty good. Your ign-1 timing is sweet. My only question is can you get more boost? My is12 hits 19psi, so I gotta imagine your is38 has more headroom. But your Trims are pushing 44, so maybe adjust the FOL to 70? Your AFR looks good at 13.3, so I don’t know if is the fuel lean.

I’ve heard IS38s hit 25-26psi, but there are a bunch of factors involved including higher FOL and e85 mix. But since it doesn’t look like you have any major issues, see if you can set FOL to 70 or 75 and raise your peak to 20psi, with the same tapering.

Edit: Although your outside temps are 61*, which would be why your boost is lower, your IATs start in the mid 80s and go up to 105. Looks like you did a few runs and are seeing some minor heat soak. Someone else with cooler weather experience should chime in.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I would personally not turn it up anymore. I'd actually turn it down to see if the corrections go down or away. Then see what I can do with better fuel. The 1.8 has more aggressive timing than the 2.0s. His ECU is applying timing corrections through the whole pull. It's certainly not going to get better as the boost goes up.

tplo, your log looks pretty good. Your ign-1 timing is sweet. My only question is can you get more boost? My is12 hits 19psi, so I gotta imagine your is38 has more headroom. But your Trims are pushing 44, so maybe adjust the FOL to 70? Your AFR looks good at 13.3, so I don’t know if is the fuel lean.

I’ve heard IS38s hit 25-26psi, but there are a bunch of factors involved including higher FOL and e85 mix. But since it doesn’t look like you have any major issues, see if you can set FOL to 70 or 75 and raise your peak to 20psi, with the same tapering.

Edit: Although your outside temps are 61*, which would be why your boost is lower, your IATs start in the mid 80s and go up to 105. Looks like you did a few runs and are seeing some minor heat soak. Someone else with cooler weather experience should chime in.