GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Protune GTI vs Boosted BRZ

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
Had an impromptu run with a boosted BRZ on the highway yesterday. We did a couple of pulls, the first one was 70-110 ish. It was a pretty close pull. I didn’t pull much if any. The highway was open, we slowed down to around 50, I was in second, he honked it off, I immediately pulled close to a car, grabbed 3rd continued the pull through 3rd and shut it down in 4th around the 110 mark, around 2 cars ahead. After some YouTube investigation, I see the average turbo kit makes about 300whp, but their tq numbers are only in the 260s. Cool guy though, gave a wave and continued on our way.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
BEAUTIFUL cars. Nice lines, fairly light weight, rwd.
I test drove one few years back. Lovely on the twisties. If you autocrossed to work it be a fun car. But shitfuck.. the elephant in the room... POWER.
I raced a non boosted one- fail. I put so many cars on him i was like dam was he even trying, but he was.... car needs MORE powah.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
BEAUTIFUL cars. Nice lines, fairly light weight, rwd.
I test drove one few years back. Lovely on the twisties. If you autocrossed to work it be a fun car. But shitfuck.. the elephant in the room... POWER.
I raced a non boosted one- fail. I put so many cars on him i was like dam was he even trying, but he was.... car needs MORE powah.

I agree, I ran an NA car, I shifted to 5th around 50 just to keep it close. I thought it would be closer because it did better from 70. Good times though.

Hockey

Ready to race!
Are they really that bad? It's only 20HP less then the GTI

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Are they really that bad? It's only 20HP less then the GTI

Someone needs to do a sticky on advertised crank hp vs wheel hp.
Anywhoo... yes on paper its 20 hp difference, but a mk7 gti will dyno 215-225 whp stock. Stock brz/frs make 165-170 whp. Plus we make shit ton of more tq.
Yes they are lighter, but not nearly enough to make a difference.

Hockey

Ready to race!
Someone needs to do a sticky on advertised crank hp vs wheel hp.
Anywhoo... yes on paper its 20 hp difference, but a mk7 gti will dyno 215-225 whp stock. Stock brz/frs make 165-170 whp. Plus we make shit ton of more tq.
Yes they are lighter, but not nearly enough to make a difference.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah if there was ever a car that begged for 50 more hp it would be the BRZ. I absolutely adore the look of the facelifted one, but as it stands it's painfully underpowered.

Fortunately there's an incredibly healthy aftermarket for rectifying that lack of power.