yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
E30 logs, for those interested:

https://datazap.me/u/hoon/log-1524309128?log=0&data=4-6

https://datazap.me/u/hoon/log-1524309128?log=1&data=4-6

https://datazap.me/u/hoon/log-1524309128?log=2&data=4-6

E30 is typically recommended, you can go as high as E45 on the stock fuel system with IS20. The system cannot support straight E85 safely.

Coming from the JB4 world, I thought multiple cylinder corrections or anything above 2.0 was reason to turn it down. Is it different with a protune?

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Coming from the JB4 world, I thought multiple cylinder corrections or anything above 2.0 was reason to turn it down. Is it different with a protune?

I'm coming from a JB1 myself, so I know it was very limited data logging compared to JB4, but we didn't log knock reduction. We logged ignition timing per cylinder, is that what you were logging with JB4?

Edit: Correction. I believe the JB1 could only do final timing but that was called eng ign 1 per the JB4 logging software nomenclature. I used VCDS and JB4 software to log, that's how I was logging individual cylinder timing albeit not at the best resolution. Looking at some JB4 logs shows people logging ignition timing.

Negative timing and knock reduction are not one in the same. You can have KR, but still have positive timing. KR is simply the amount of ignition timing that is being pulled because of the knock sensors. If you look at logs for JB4 and see the timing differ between cylinders, timing is being pulled somehow because theoretically, the timing should be the same in all 4 cylinders. I would guess that difference may be because of knock retard.

Last edited:

dub_guy

Ready to race!
The JB1/4 log ignition advance as ign_1 and then ign_2-5 are the knock retard on each cylinder. The JB boxes can’t modify timing - that all comes from the stock ecu programing

Hoon

Autocross Champion

It depends on how sustained, consistent and repeatable the knock is.

Alex is OK with these logs and has decided to push a bit harder. I don't think the motor will take anything additional, but i'll find out tomorrow.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
The JB1/4 log ignition advance as ign_1 and then ign_2-5 are the knock retard on each cylinder. The JB boxes can’t modify timing - that all comes from the stock ecu programing

Thanks for the clarification. If it's knock retard, those numbers never go negative so is that just known that's the amount of timing being pulled?

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Looks good.

I'm curious though, why is there a boost increase at the 8.87 timestamp?
Yea I noticed that too. Looking over it, it might be because of the high rpm I was in once I shifted to 4th. Even though I wasn't wot at that point I was still giving it some so 3/4th throttle at 4k or higher would still constitute 20+ psi.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Too clean, crank that sucker up :D
Remember I'm still on a 93 tune lol

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Oh that explains it, 93 tune but E30 fuel.

Gotcha.

Ohhhh Alex!? Cameron needs more powa!
Haha trust me if my 93 logs looked that good I'd tell him to bump it up. Once I get my top up tune for the ic later this year maybe I'll grab an e30 tune if yours look good [emoji16]

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Haha trust me if my 93 logs looked that good I'd tell him to bump it up. Once I get my top up tune for the ic later this year maybe I'll grab an e30 tune if yours look good [emoji16]

Just a heads up, different parameters, I realize, but I tried to run my 91 pro tune with a tank full of e40, and the car did not like it one bit. Misfires and EPC light on a WOT pull, but never came back after. You might be good though, since there's not as much a disparity between 93-e30 as 91-e40.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
I would be careful running e30 on a 93 tune if you're not tuned for it. It's not going to give you too much of advantage. You'd be much safer if you wanted to run some E on your 93/91 to only add 1 gallon or so per tank. This would bump you up to around E15. You'll get pretty much the same effect at putting e30 in, but it'll be safer for the car as e30 requires more fuel than 93 does.