GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Lucky you, I paid $220 for the amp alone (and that's pretty cheap when you see what's for sale out there). I got somewhat lucky with the ROW display coming from Ireland (got it for only $135, looks great, keeping my fingers crossed that it works). Since the $30 headunit was a dud and paid $120 for another one from a different seller, I'm coming to a bit over $500 (w/ harness included), and I don't even have the VAS 5054A with OKI chip yet (will probably need to spend $60 on that too). And who knows what Jack (the Polish guy who does his thing remotely) will charge me to remove CP from both the headunit and the amp, then transfer the FeC's associated with my VIN, then activate App Connect. Plus there may be some coding necessary to get the headunit to see the amp... Well, I shal see.
Jack charged me 300 Euro. It's definitely not a cheap retrofit, but I don't regret spending the money one bit.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
Jack charged me 300 Euro. It's definitely not a cheap retrofit, but I don't regret spending the money one bit.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Neither will I, if I can get everything to work. I'm a bit nervous: I don't know if the headunit is from a car w/ Fender (so there may be need for extra programming there for the HU to see/accept the amp, and looks like Jack can't do that one) and I have OBDeleven Pro (not VCDS), and have no idea how to access the amp (I tried a few days ago and still don't know where it's hidden).

Not to mention what condition the parts are in: as of now, the screen is coming from Ireland, the HU from Nebraska, the amp from Oregon, the harness from China :) They all look "like new" in the pictures, but who knows?!

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, I'm planning on doing the upgrade soon and am just missing a few things. First question I got though, is the USB/aux harness custom??? I was planning on just buying the connector from the dealer but when I had them look up the harness, 3 different part#s came up. Not sure which I would need or if I would need all of them.

Also, is the carplay/AA activation code available from the dealer in the US???

I work at an Audi dealership so I will have unlimited access to VCDS for any coding. Parts I get at a decent discount so that's why I wanted to source the activation code and USB/aux connector from the be vw dealer instead

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi, I'm planning on doing the upgrade soon and am just missing a few things. First question I got though, is the USB/aux harness custom??? I was planning on just buying the connector from the dealer but when I had them look up the harness, 3 different part#s came up. Not sure which I would need or if I would need all of them.

I work at an Audi dealership so I will have unlimited access to VCDS for any coding. Parts I get at a decent discount so that's why I wanted to source the activation code and USB/aux connector from the be vw dealer instead

The part number I used was 5G0 035 222 E for the harness and the connector - but I sourced mine on eBay, so I'm not sure if this is what VW supply it as.

Yes, the code is available from your parts department too.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion

Activation key doesn't work in the US. No it's not available from the VWOA parts department.

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick update on my progress.

I picked up a MIB2 infotainment for $30 on eBay. I plugged it into my car tonight and I had audio on all 4 speakers and my Helix sub worked without an issue. Obviously, the screen is all messed up due to the resolution mismatch, but everything seems to work just fine.

Now my question is what is the component protection tied to? Is it the display or the infotainment in the glove box. If it's in the glove box, why would I be getting audio on all speakers?

My display is being delivered Monday so I'll install that on Monday and test again. I'm still waiting on the USB piece so hopefully I get that from China within the next week.

You were very lucky, I had to return one of those $30 HU's (kept power cycling), and at least two others here had to return two of them each (same reason).

Last edited:

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
I just tried to do that, but I have a super grandfathered plan with T-Mobile and they told me nope.

Luckily, my WiFi reception was decent today so Jack was able to connect no problem.

If anyone needs a VAS5054 cable, I'll sell it for half what I paid once I'm done with it.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Hi, you still have that cable? I'll get it off your hands.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Why wouldn't the activation key work in the US? The OP bought a key and used it for activation on his install.

Dealer availability in the US might be an issue but you don't have to buy parts at the dealer. Most people aren't buying any of their parts from the dealer.
Activation key doesn't work in the US. No it's not available from the VWOA parts department.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Why wouldn't the activation key work in the US? The OP bought a key and used it for activation on his install.

Dealer availability in the US might be an issue but you don't have to buy parts at the dealer. Most people aren't buying any of their parts from the dealer.

OP did not. Re-read the thread. George reached out to a contact overseas and had him do the coding.

I'm sorry, tell me more about your VW parts department experience in north america. Because VWoA won't recognize a MY15 for carplay/android auto activation.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is from the OP...

"He required an XP or Win 7 operating system and Team Viewer and remotely removed component protection and added App-Connect key”

I read that as Jack remotely adding the key he purchased. My interpretation of the rest of that post was that OP had it done remotely because a previous experience with his dealer (and a CANN gateway) suggested they may have issues with this as well.

I paid $100 for the key so I won't be hurt if it doesn't work, haha. If my dealer removes CP and activates the FECs my car already has I should only need Jack to activate AndroidAuto/CarPlay.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
OP did not. Re-read the thread. George reached out to a contact overseas and had him do the coding.

I'm sorry, tell me more about your VW parts department experience in north america. Because VWoA won't recognize a MY15 for carplay/android auto activation.

It's nothing to do with VWoA - the FeCs are managed at the VW mothership in Germany.

Any dealer with ODIS can activate the FeC with the code and PIN.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
It has everything to do with VWoA and the VW mothership not allowing MY15 from North America to have carplay. I say this as someone who has bought the activation key, taken it to a dealer, had them sit on the phone with VW, only to have them say "this is not possible". But cool, thanks for sharing your experience. This is after they removed CP, activated my bluetooth, and followed the procedure to the letter.

Cuzoe, not to get your hopes up, but if you manage to get your dealership to make it happen, please relay your experience and if you can, how they did it. My research suggests you'd be the first so far to have that success.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
So if the dealership is willing to do the coding, does VWoA get in the way at all??? Like if I bought an appconnect code and pin, will it be able to be activated in NA?

Btw, I talked to the VW parts guys today and they said it's the service department who would have to get the codes. Talked to the service guys and apparently when they plug in through odis, they can request the code from there

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
As said previously, i have yet to see someone in a north american car swap out to MIB2 successfully at a dealership using the VW activation key.

The service guys can follow the instructions from the key, plu in to odis, pull FEC codes, etc, but in the last step (where they activate carplay/android auto), they'll get an error. Dealership service will then call vw, vw will then tell them it's impossible.