GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

BigStogs

As said previously, i have yet to see someone in a north american car swap out to MIB2 successfully at a dealership using the VW activation key.

The service guys can follow the instructions from the key, plu in to odis, pull FEC codes, etc, but in the last step (where they activate carplay/android auto), they'll get an error. Dealership service will then call vw, vw will then tell them it's impossible.

This is true. I have looked into many companies doing the “hacking” of units as well and they can’t make it function for NA region cars. Only option full aftermarket headunit replacement. I will be going this way at some point as the factory interface and Fender sound is subpar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The hacked units work in NA just fine. And a lot of the people in this thread and on another forum have successfully upgraded to MIB II in NA.

So far no one has been able to have app connect activated using the code purchased from VW. But there is the Polish gentleman that can do it remotely which plenty of people have had success with.

Just so that people only seeing this thread recently (and not reading through all of it) are clear, an aftermarket head unit is not required. This thread is only about the experience (success and sometimes struggles) people have had doing an oem upgrade. Nothing aftermarket going on here.
This is true. I have looked into many companies doing the “hacking” of units as well and they can’t make it function for NA region cars. Only option full aftermarket headunit replacement. I will be going this way at some point as the factory interface and Fender sound is subpar.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
^He's right.

And to be clear, you can get an MIB2 unit installed without "hacking" it. You just won't have carplay. That last bit is the challenge requiring help from our overseas friend. I have the MIB2 unit, big screen installed, functioning bluetooth, usb port wired in, etc. I've been slacking finishing the job since i had other projects taking precedent/funds.

BigStogs

I was told by quite a few oversees people that they can’t do it for NA vehicles. Guess they didn’t want my money it seems. They could only get CarPlay/Android Auto in ROW units. At least for the 2015 model year.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
This is disappointing to hear. Will everything else such as Bluetooth and Sirius still work fine at least???

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Bluetooth and Sirius work fine. I don't use the xm radio personally, but my mib2 BT works great.

And again, there is a person who is remote-enabling the carplay in mib2 units in MY15 NAR vehicles. He has been mentioned by name here. Most of the overseas people won't touch the NAR stuff though. Easier for them to take care of the mib2 pro units and flip those.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
They are not able to hack the Delphi (Delfi?) manufactured NAR head units. If you buy one that is not Delphi and send it to them (or order a unit from them directly) it will work, keeping in mind that a non NAR head unit won't have XM.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I believe I had bought the Delphi unit. Would that one guy be able to remote install carplay/AA on to it??? Idk if remote installing is any different than "hacking

Also is there any difference between the revision A version and the no A version???

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
As I understand it he should be able to remote install app connect on that unit.

A "hacked" unit is one sent into a company in Poland that can do some modifications. One of those being allowing an MIB II unit (non Delphi) to work with the MIB I fender amp. This company also sells "hacked" units with all of the functions activated, Plug & Play. These are the retrofit kits available from a few vendors.

Having the gentleman everybody speaks of here remotely activate your unit would not be considered hacking it.
I believe I had bought the Delphi unit. Would that one guy be able to remote install carplay/AA on to it??? Idk if remote installing is any different than "hacking

Also is there any difference between the revision A version and the no A version???

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I'm curious on what Jack is doing to remote activate car play.

Because of my Rev A version of the 3Q0035844 unit, it seems I would not be able to use the fec code anyways.

I remember the VW advisor told me that they would be able to get app connect once connected to odis. I wonder if the newer units don't use external fec codes and must all be done through the VW servers. TBH, I don't know too much about using odis and Vagcom but once I get the parts together, I'm going to try and do it at my dealership. Apparently odis and Vagcom are not the exact same between Audi and VW dealerships tho so I may have to take it to VW for coding anyways. Luckily, I was told they'd only charge me $50 or I could try and get with a vw tech to do it on the side. I'll let you guys know what I find out

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
I was told by quite a few oversees people that they can’t do it for NA vehicles. Guess they didn’t want my money it seems. They could only get CarPlay/Android Auto in ROW units. At least for the 2015 model year.

There's a 3q0035844 unit made in Germany still available on eBay (good price, ships from Cali, apparently). Being that it's not a Delphi unit and doesn't have the XM symbol on the sticker I asked the seller if it would work with Sirius XM. The seller confirmed my suspicions that this was, indeed, a ROW headunit, and SXM wouldn't work. If you don't care about SXM, just get that one; being that it is a ROW unit, maybe you can activate AppConnect through any VW dealership.

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm curious on what Jack is doing to remote activate car play.

Because of my Rev A version of the 3Q0035844 unit, it seems I would not be able to use the fec code anyways.

I, too, read somewhere (at least two independent accounts) that the A revision would not accept the FeC to activate AppConnect.

BigStogs

I use SiriusXM everyday, not really something I want to give up just to get CarPlay... especially with the cost. I truly just want CarPlay for full screen Waze with iOS 12. I can go aftermarket for cheaper than all the factory stuff and end up with an easier route for upgraded speakers and amps as well.

aameghoo

Passed Driver's Ed
I am pulling for coding. I had made some changes and had similar symptom of no sound and it was coding.

If it comes down to amplifier, here are some thoughts. I realize I am getting ahead of myself. I replaced my fender amplifer with an alpine MRV-500. It is small enough to fit under the front seat in place of fender. It cost $230 and I sold my MIB2 for $310, and original MIB1 for $250 if I can remember correctly. You would have to run power, but you could use your existing speaker wiring. What you will lose is ability to control subwoofer with the head unit. Wait six months so when you’re fully healed from the trauma of the MIB1 to MIB2 conversion and then replace speakers. I wanted ability to control subwoofer as it depends on what I am listening to, and I wanted time correction for drivers position. To get, I went with a DSP, Audison Bit 10 D under passenger’s seat. Replaced wiring and Focal 165AS speakers. With sound treatment and install I probably have 80 hours of labor into the install. The pain of the install is starting to fade from memory.

I was happy with my MIB2 fender system, but just today I’m thinking “I can’t believe I am in a car”…. the audio is that good.

George, could you go into a little more detail of what you did for this? The MIB2 fender amp is the biggest thing holding me back from doing the conversion right now. Ideally, it would be nice to not have to worry about sourcing a new amp and doing an after-market solution instead for even better sound.

As I understand, you can do some coding to have the speakers powered from the headunit instead of the fender amp. I made a diagram of what I imagined what you did, is that correct? If it is, 2 questions:
1. How did you connect the existing speaker wires coming out of the fender amp to the alpine amp? Did you just cut the wires at the fender amp connector then terminate them into the alpine amp or did you do something else?
2. Did you notice a decrease or increase in sound quality going from the “before” step to the “after” step without the DSP
Thanks!

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 674

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I talked to Jack about getting carplay on the revision A unit in the US and apparently he can do it. I wonder what he has access to that US VW techs dont