GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Something new... boost leak tester

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Just made a prototype boost leak tester, and it came out pretty good for my first draft. Held 30 psi just fine so I'm happy.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
3D printed obviously. Hoping to sell this item to members for a shameless profit?

I like the idea of not having to take off hard to reach piping hoses to test.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Awesome, I like it.

This is a tool every modded MK7 owner should have.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Best / coolest design I've seen for a boost leak tester. No screw clamp to worry about or anything. Perfect. I guess once this comes out, it's time for an order of all the goodies!

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Nice work, have you tried anything above 30psi? Would be a great tool to have on hand

30 was just a BS number i aimed for because i figured it would cover most people. What is the limit before the piece snaps? I will definitely try to find that out for you guys if i ever release this to the public. Whatever the number winds up being, i recommend staying clear of it a few psi hahah.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I wouldn’t know how to use it... does the turbo need to be remove to install it?

Attachments

• 4408793.jpg
    4408793.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 524

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I wouldn’t know how to use it... does the turbo need to be remove to install it?

Exactly right.

Step 1: Remove turbo
Step 2: ???
Setp 3: Profit

:cool::D

P.S there is some heavy sarcasm going on just in case others can't tell (on both our parts).

Edit: Turns out sarcasm only on my part. I couldn't comprehend the fact that some one with a modded turbo car wouldn't know how to use a boost leak tester. What a world we live in. :D

Last edited:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Very cool. Do you have your own 3D printer / rapid prototyper or use an industrial one at work? I've thought about buying one just for these sorts of fun projects and to keep my CAD skills sharp; I haven't designed parts in like a decade and I'm afraid I'm forgetting how to do it.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'll offer a word of caution, as I work in fluid systems and we frequently prototype with 3D printing. The material is porous and will allow fluid to escape between the layers of filament. Thicker objects are better at blocking the flow but eventually fluid will permeate through.

Pretty cool idea though. I was just thinking the other day about how I need to test for boost leak on my car.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Be careful with the sarcasm these days, people need cry closets now stocked with tissues

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Back in my day we used PVC caps with a tire stem in them and a rubber coupler. Jesus I feel old.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Lol yup
Back in my day we used PVC caps with a tire stem in them and a rubber coupler. Jesus I feel old.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk