GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Something new... boost leak tester

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3

No you odn't have to remove your turbo form the car, that would be terrible and wouldn't test your system. That is just my old IS20 i had lying around so figured hey let me test something.

Basically what you do is you disconnect your turbo inlet pipe, put this on instead, hook up to an air compressor and slowly ramp up the psi, close the valve on your air compressor to stop the air coming in once you hit your desire level (in my case 30 psi).

Basically if the psi on your gauge drops fast, you have a leak, if it loses less than 1 psi a second you should be good.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
No you odn't have to remove your turbo form the car, that would be terrible and wouldn't test your system. That is just my old IS20 i had lying around so figured hey let me test something.

Basically what you do is you disconnect your turbo inlet pipe, put this on instead, hook up to an air compressor and slowly ramp up the psi, close the valve on your air compressor to stop the air coming in once you hit your desire level (in my case 30 psi).

Basically if the psi on your gauge drops fast, you have a leak, if it loses less than 1 psi a second you should be good.

Also, this will give you the opportunity to spray all connections with soapy water to pin point a leak if there is one. I do this at work on aircraft all the time. It’ll make a giant foam volcano if it’s leaking somewhere...beats the hell out of guessing lol

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie

Thank you for the explanation, I wasn’t being sarcastic I genuinely had no idea how this worked.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Updated version with a valve stem instead.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Hey whatever happened with this? Did you decide selling them isn't worth it?

Is there a 3d file you'd like to make public domain, by chance? 😁