GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

Cruiser

Ready to race!
So got JB4 and Bluetooth connect today finally! Plan on installing tomorrow - any tips and tricks from the field prior to? Hardest part seems like running obd through firewall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, D was the hardest one. Was able to get it from the top, but got scraped up pretty good doing it.
I don't know how anyone can get down there with one hand and screwdriver to disconnect it. I studied and practiced on the jb4 connector, then went in blind and was able to disconnect it with my fingers or thumb, I forget which.
The bluetooth dongle had to be pointed towards the cabin straight, I had trouble connecting otherwise.
The obd cable, I taped to a 110 wire and snaked it through from inside. Didnt remove the battery

nonbiodegradable weasel

Ready to race!
I just ordered a downpipe. I've been on map 2 since upgrading from JB1 to JB4. Is it time to switch to map 6? Should I switch to a stage 2 flash tune after installing the pipe?

Perry01

Ready to race!
Nothing about the install is difficult. Pull the gasket out and cut a hole in it out of the car, run wires through it and then reinsert.

Take your time.

I put a torch to a Phillips screw driver then punched a hole in the gromet.

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
I did raise mine a little, just for trials. I hear ya on the longevity thing, but I figure how much you use it has to be taken in account also.
This pulls hard to redline.
Edit: added my map 2 reference

Map 2(approx)
50 4.0 4.8
55 4.7 5.1
60 5.2 5.4
65 5.0 ? (Shifted early)
70 4.5 ?
My settings were very close to yours if not what you have. now i am probably the same as map 2. do you know what the lower rpm settings are for map 2? I think i am fairly conservative down low.

Cruiser

Ready to race!
My settings were very close to yours if not what you have. now i am probably the same as map 2. do you know what the lower rpm settings are for map 2? I think i am fairly conservative down low.

I only did one log on map2, so I don't know how good the reference is, but this is what I have:
3397 3.0
3679 4.0
4092 4.1
4295 4.3
4581 4.5

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I just ordered a downpipe. I've been on map 2 since upgrading from JB1 to JB4. Is it time to switch to map 6? Should I switch to a stage 2 flash tune after installing the pipe?

No need for a flash. Just go to map 6 and start making adjustments and log them. My friend been tweaking his for a while and he is doing quite well with it. I have the 1.8 and I'm pushing more boost above 4,500 then most stage 2 flash tunes. The beauty of the JB4 is that you can dial it in for your car and your climate. It's not a one size fits all

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Why not go to map 6 and just dial in the what you want. Also, which I'm sure you know by now, doing a full pull from below 3,000 rpms will show more accurate readings of what's going on everywhere. You can definitely run more than that. I'm making more boost on the 1.8 with the little turbo

I am well aware of map6 as it is what I run now. Just wanted to show a map2 log to show what the settings were for it. ;)

MauricioGTI

Go Kart Newbie
No need for a flash. Just go to map 6 and start making adjustments and log them. My friend been tweaking his for a while and he is doing quite well with it. I have the 1.8 and I'm pushing more boost above 4,500 then most stage 2 flash tunes. The beauty of the JB4 is that you can dial it in for your car and your climate. It's not a one size fits all

I can not use more boost than a flash stage1 in my GTI at 5.000 forward. Up to 5,000 it responds well to JB4's push but then not.

Note this log:

My current setting is this:

1500:1
2000:2
2500:3
3000:4
3500:5
4000:6
4500:7
5000:7
5500:8
6000:8
6500:7.5
7000:7

Target in this range is 7.8 psi but the difference between the ECU psi and the boost is 5.3. My car has worked with this map at a peak of 21psi falling to 14/15 in 6.000, is much smaller than a flash.

I would like to improve this range of 5.000 forward in my car but I can not get satisfactory results.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I can not use more boost than a flash stage1 in my GTI at 5.000 forward. Up to 5,000 it responds well to JB4's push but then not.

Note this log:

Target in this range is 7.8 psi but the difference between the ECU psi and the boost is 5.3. My car has worked with this map at a peak of 21psi falling to 14/15 in 6.000, is much smaller than a flash.

I would like to improve this range of 5.000 forward in my car but I can not get satisfactory results.

I've found the same issue with using the additive. I run absolute and set my targets above the boost I'm trying to hit. I'm hitting +11.5 psi over what the ecu is requesting this way. On additive only it always fell short. Especially up top

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
I've found the same issue with using the additive. I run absolute and set my targets above the boost I'm trying to hit. I'm hitting +11.5 psi over what the ecu is requesting this way. On additive only it always fell short. Especially up top
Can you post a log using your absolute settings?. I thought people were having issues with hitting target using absolute, so additive was better for hitting target boost.

Perry01

Ready to race!

Without a downpipe you will not be able to generate the kind of boost you are requesting above 5000 RPM.

MauricioGTI

Go Kart Newbie
I tried the absolute map, but it is far from the target too.

I think George speaks to disregard the psi when using the absolute map. Maybe the DME BT is the correct one to read the right stock boost on the absolute map.

Difference between target, boost, DME BT and ECU PSI.